What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeds and pollen?

dddaver

Veteran
I have 2 questions.

First: I got a bunch of seeds off a female. No male around and I never saw any nanners. But now after trying to germinate a couple after 4 days, nothing. I had scuffed them up in a sandpaper tube before doing the moist paper towel thing. That usually works. But my question is: can a female make seeds that haven;t been fertilized by either going hermi or just male pollen? So those seeds won't be viable?

My second question has to do with pollen production. I have successfully done this, "painted" some buds, got seeds and grew plants from them. But the last couple times I think I might be jumping the gun a little chopping the male a putting some branches in water. The last time I got zilch. No pollen. This time around the branches don't seem to be dropping that golden dust. Just little pieces of shit. I waited about a week after showing sex to chop. My question is: is there a minimum time I should wait after the plant shows sex before chopping it to get good pollen out of it?

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Pollen blows in the wind for miles usually, so maybe you got some stray Pollen? A couple outside grows ago, I found some seeds in my crop so I just blamed it on an experimental hemp farm down the road.

IDK about your second question. When breeding I have always separated the plants and collected the pollen off the males that way.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
1. How long between collecting the seeds and planting them did you wait? Storage conditions?

2. It may not be a good male specimen. Pollen should be dropping between 21 and 45 days. ... Just to be clear... You're not trying to use pollen from branches you dropped in water, right? That's for culling yeah?

dddaver

Veteran
1. Maybe a year at least.

2. Thanks. 21. Like I said,I have successfully done that recommended method of chucking before.

White Beard

I read about that quality of pollen the other day: it was said to happen when selfing a plant more than three times...could that apply?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
BOMBAYCAT is right. There was a male within reach.

As for collecting pollen, I always wait for a few sacs to burst before I collect the branch. If I don't collect the branch, I slide a baggie over the branch and shake. I do that once or twice a week (with the same baggie) until I think I have enough pollen.

Latest posts

Latest posts