What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hoophouse cooling

hotCarl5

whats goin down ppl
this is my first post here..
i built a hoophouse about a month ago and its starting to get too hot in there as the weather is warming up. so i was looking for some input on what i can/should do. i am interested in an evap cooler, but there are so many choices and i dont know whats good and whats crap. my space is 10x10x8h. it has two windows and an inline duct fan pulling heat out right now but its not good enough. i have also been planning to raise the hoophouse 3ft. to do that i was thinking i would make a 2x4frame in the same dimensions as the footprint at 3ft tall and skin it with plywood. if i do this, i can make a small wet wall.. thanks for reading. HELP! lol
p.s. it got up to 95f in there yesterday

CrushnYuba

I second the roll up sides. Higher the better. Almost all hoops have them.. All of mine are canopy height. 5.5ft

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Almost done with the framing. Doors and covering next.
picture.php

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I had that happen too on a temporary garage. At least yours was on the ground and not up in the tree. My brother had one wind up on the neighbor's roof. Funny as hell. Neighbor was all pissed off.

This time extreme measures are being taken to keep it in place. :biggrin:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Good move. lol.
I just poured a slab for a proper greenhouse. I'm tired of fetching it from the bush. Twice last year. lol

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Two greenhouses lost. I'd go with concrete too.

I have some unused 6x6 PT landscape timber that will be stacked two high around the inside. The base posts will be strapped to the timbers adding about a half ton of extra weight. It will work well with the light dep too. the cover will roll down into a pocket preventing light from getting in. The base posts were driven down about 3 feet down too, hopefull that's enough.

blastfrompast

Veteran
Two greenhouses lost. I'd go with concrete too.

I have some unused 6x6 PT landscape timber that will be stacked two high around the inside. The base posts will be strapped to the timbers adding about a half ton of extra weight. It will work well with the light dep too. the cover will roll down into a pocket preventing light from getting in. The base posts were driven down about 3 feet down too, hopefull that's enough.

Get some 2ft rebar....drill holes on angle down and out...pound thru with sledge...

We use 8x8's here tho….we put 4 per 10ft length ….handles 80-90km/hr winds like a champ..

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Get some 2ft rebar....drill holes on angle down and out...pound thru with sledge...

We use 8x8's here tho….we put 4 per 10ft length ….handles 80-90km/hr winds like a champ..

Good idea and easy to do. Thanks.