What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Training / Trimming Clones... after Monster Cropping

brown_thumb

I have a few plants from cloning of flowering mothers. The clones are very bushy, as expected. It was just an experiment and I never expected any of them to survive. However, since they lived... how to train??

Please advise regarding trimming and/or training of these plants. I'm hoping for MONSTERS!! BUT... they're in 5 gallon buckets so I'm sure I can only hope for mini-monsters.

Did I mention, they're all VERY bushy.

X

xavier7995

Do the branches on the bush look sturdy and like they will support large desirable buds? I have a plant that kicks off a crap load of branches and grows as a bush....but they are little branches that can't really support a bud and just puts out wispy crap. To get around that I lollipop hard and cut out most of the small growth higher up to leave just the largest branches with the idea of growing a bunch of colas, or as I like to call them, dope spears. So that approach might be something to think about. I like to clear enough out that if I stand above the plant and look down I can see the growing medium.

I use bamboo poles to help keep them spread out and supported, but a trellis would work just as well. I think one of the keys to growing a bush to its full potential is that spreading to allow light in to middle of the bush and to help keep any mold/mildew at bay.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...yeah, rooted clones become stand alone plants so if you want big plants then veg them for awhile.

...and train them any way you want, once rooted you treat them like any other plant.

peace, bozo

brown_thumb

Do the branches on the bush look sturdy and like they will support large desirable buds? I have a plant that kicks off a crap load of branches and grows as a bush....but they are little branches that can't really support a bud and just puts out wispy crap. To get around that I lollipop hard and cut out most of the small growth higher up to leave just the largest branches with the idea of growing a bunch of colas, or as I like to call them, dope spears. So that approach might be something to think about. I like to clear enough out that if I stand above the plant and look down I can see the growing medium.

I use bamboo poles to help keep them spread out and supported, but a trellis would work just as well. I think one of the keys to growing a bush to its full potential is that spreading to allow light in to middle of the bush and to help keep any mold/mildew at bay.

The largest plants are only 18 inches (45cm) tall with thin spindly branches. They're fuller (bushier) than other plants I've grown. I do expect to need quite a bit of support with stakes. They began to flower a week ago.

...yeah, rooted clones become stand alone plants so if you want big plants then veg them for awhile.

...and train them any way you want, once rooted you treat them like any other plant.

peace, bozo

These were left outside without supplemental light. I'll probably trim some of the small branches and flay the larger ones outward to allow more light into the central leaves.

brown_thumb

The top photo is the plants six days ago and the lower pic is today. They grew at least 4 inches (100mm) in 6 days so that's approximately .67 inches (17mm) per day.

picture.php

picture.php

brown_thumb

I can only assume that this thread is dead because I must have failed to search properly. I suppose I didn't use the correct search terms.

Can anyone post links to the info I need: (How to trim/train monster cropped clones)??

Today, I nipped just a few of the lowest/smallest bits of growth, lower than 5cm above the soil, but left the decent-sized branches, even if at soil level.

brown_thumb

Here are a couple of pics from today. These are now at about the same flowering maturity as when they were cloned the first time (not the small one).

picture.php

picture.php