What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A.T.O. Automatic Top Off System

downtoearth

Attachments

• ATO.jpg
    ATO.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 10

GrowForIt

Never used one but a float valve is a lot cheaper and it's mechanical so there is minimal risk of failure.

downtoearth

Hmmm

Hmmm

Provided the float switch doesn't stick........if it does, you have a flood.

The aeroflow is inside a tent with a waterproof floor so I suppose a flood, although NOT wanted, wouldn't be a total disaster. With this being said, how big of a topoff res. should I use? The main res on the system is 40 gallons. Do you think 55 gallon drum is too much for a top off res? Me thinks for just topping off during a grow cycle probably BUT when it came time to wash out the res. at the end of the cycle it would be close to perfect! I wouldn't have to haul water as much! Thoughts?:thank you:

downtoearth

Just an update on this thread. I didn't use this gadget. I used the old fashioned float valve and it works perfectly. No need to spend that kind of money indeed. I'm glad I returned it. Cheers.

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Provided the float switch doesn't stick........if it does, you have a flood.

A float valve as he was referring to is different then a float switch.

It is highly unlikely that any float valve is going to fail. Its a hollow plastic buoy that is going to rise as the water floats it up. I'd say its pretty damn reliable unless something is physically obstructing it or maybe a bad/dry rotted seal or something that continues to allow water to be gravity fed.

Would have to be a pretty serious "stick" to keep a highly buoyant float from rising with the water level.

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
How big of res did you end up going with? Didnt realize this was such an old thread.

When growing full hydro its awesome to auto top with a gravity fed float. Have your elevated res itself hooked to a RO machine w/ its own float.

All you gotta do is addback nutes to the continually diluted res. You could die and your plants would ultimately starve without nutrients, but they'd never run out of water.

downtoearth

How big of res did you end up going with? Didnt realize this was such an old thread.

When growing full hydro its awesome to auto top with a gravity fed float. Have your elevated res itself hooked to a RO machine w/ its own float.

All you gotta do is addback nutes to the continually diluted res. You could die and your plants would ultimately starve without nutrients, but they'd never run out of water.

That is exactly what I ended up doing. It's SO nice! Just adding back nutes is easy. I have a 55 gal. RO barrel with it's own float attached directly to the R.O. unit. It hasn't ever been this easy lol. :tiphat: The res is a panda res. for the aeroflo 2 60 site. It's between 50 to 70 gallons.

Beastmode

What about pushing water up say 10-15 ft to top off a controller bucket from a dosed up res 10-15 ft below?

Thanks any info is appreciated.

DunHav`nFun

What about pushing water up say 10-15 ft to top off a controller bucket from a dosed up res 10-15 ft below?

Thanks any info is appreciated.
In order to push juice vertically , the appropriate pump must be sourced for the proper "head pressure" it takes to make it 15' , but to run a controller bucket you`ll need an "upper rez" that gets fed from below , and then the float valve attached to the controller bucket to keep it topped off and control lower container levels of nutrient solution during flood cycles.....now.....

When sourcing pumps , overkill is under rated.....IOW....bigger is better , and you can add a "tee" fitting , 6" pc of pvc , and an elbow above solution level with a ball valve above that to choke down and control flow above while allowing the overflow to oxygenate and mix rez every timed useage....and lastly.....

Use a small powerhead pump in main basement rez to keep solution constantly mixed to prevent precipitation/nutrients falling out of suspension.....anyways.....good luck and holler if I can help....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:....

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
A float valve as he was referring to is different then a float switch.

It is highly unlikely that any float valve is going to fail. Its a hollow plastic buoy that is going to rise as the water floats it up. I'd say its pretty damn reliable unless something is physically obstructing it or maybe a bad/dry rotted seal or something that continues to allow water to be gravity fed.

Would have to be a pretty serious "stick" to keep a highly buoyant float from rising with the water level.

They do fail after years of use, usually too much crud builds up on the valve seat and they won't close all the way, but sometimes it's just a mystery. I've had dozens of mechanical float valves and probably 4 or 5 outright failures. They are good but not 100% foolproof.

Latest posts

Latest posts