What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Instant cal-mag?

Sign

I was thinking of this in the car. Dolomite and pH down, after fizzing stops and neutralizes, the liquid portion would be cal-mag right? I'm not a chemist obviously but it would work wouldn't it?

troutman

Seed Whore
No, it wouldn't be cal/mag after the neutralization occurs.

If your pH down is phosphoric acid and it reacts with dolomitic limestone it will create
a mixture of calcium phosphate and magnesium phosphate. Carbon dioxide is released
as gas during this reaction.

I believe ca/mag is comprised of both calcium nitrate and magnesium nitrate which
are both a lot more soluble than calcium phosphate and magnesium phosphate.

So the answer is still no it would not be cal/mag that you create. :tiphat:

Klompen

I would not assume that would be cal-mag. What exactly is in your pH down? Acetic acid? You could end up with an acetate of some kind that might not be soluble. Personally I'd ever get actual cal-mag products or provide them separately. Gypsum for calcium and epsom salt foliar for magnesium

Sign

Yeah it would be the phosphate since using phosphoric acid.

Wiki
[Calcium phosphates are found in many living organisms, e.g., bone mineral and tooth enamel. In milk, it exists in a colloidal form in micelles bound to casein protein with magnesium, zinc, and citrate - collectively referred to as colloidal calcium phosphate (CCP).[2] Various calcium phosphate minerals are used in the production of phosphoric acid and fertilizers. Overuse of certain forms of calcium phosphate can lead to nutrient-containing surface runoff and subsequent adverse effects upon receiving waters such as algal blooms and eutrophication.

Klompen

Its pretty hard to over-sulfur cannabis. Unless you drop the pH too low, its a very sulfur tolerant plant.