What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

native american strains = american landrace weed?

Mystic Funk

Haha... cool story... wonder if that's the story Bodhi was refering to after naming his Dream Beaver?

Of the native Americans I know, none have ever mentioned any tribal legends about cannabis. Sure makes one wonder though.

you should ask your native American friends.:)
also what tribe are they from?

corky1968

Veteran
Maybe they were using jimson weed?

The flowers smell very nice with small very dark seeds.

I grew some 2 years ago.

Mystic Funk

that's a good point corky.
maybe i'm wrong but I think jimson weed grows more like a vine??
reason I say that is they talk about the "stalk" of the plant.
and reports say the natives grew sativa like plant an if you grow a unpruned sativa it has a long single stalk.
that's just how I imagine it when I read the story.

peace!
-mystic :tiphat:

corky1968

Veteran
Jimson weed grows on a stalk like a tomato plant. I actually grew mine mixed in
with tomato plants. Any little yellow flowers in my pic below are tomato flowers.
They grew close to 3 feet tall and are very bushy.

S

Stone House

I only grew them to see what they looked like.
I kept the seeds. But I didn't eat any.
One seed too many = hospital trip

In the late 1960s a few friends and I ate some fresh Jimson seeds (also known as deadly nightshade). No effect on two of us except to make us very thirsty, but one friend had trees talking to him like in the Wizard of OZ. He also saw witches eating little babies.
We were teenagers and the friend that was seeing things was later taken to the hospital for evaluation. We didn't see him for a couple weeks.
The Jimson is or was used in contact cold caps to dry out sinuses.
Moral of story.... don't eat the seeds, too unpredictable. :crazy:
It is a beautiful plant though.

therevverend

Veteran
It's well documented what natives ate, smoked, how they made their clothes, how they started their fires. No cannabis involved but very interesting stuff. I'd recommend becoming knowledgeable on the subject especially in your local area. At the least you might find some local plants to munch on.
Tobacco was a usually a part of a smoking mix consisting of several herbs that had different effects. Probably not super powerful potent stuff like cannabis or tobacco but still interesting.
In the PNW miner's lettuce grows everywhere, was collected and brought back to England. Easy to find and identify in the early spring makes tasty salads. Grows well in England if you look in the right spots you can find it.
Besides wearing cedar the PNW natives had wool dogs. They'd bred dogs to produce wool like sheep. Extinct now, last one died in 1940.
Sad that so much work adapting to the local environment was lost. Now we wear cotton shipped in from god knows where.

therevverend

Veteran
I'd be skeptical of those claims, you'd have to look into the source material. A lot of times in older records 'hemp' is used for 'any hemp like plant used to make clothing'. Happens a lot in the Bible, takes a lot of scrutiny to find where hemp really means hemp. The dictionary definition of hemp includes
a. Any of various plants similar to cannabis, especially one yielding a similar fiber.
b. The fiber of such a plant.
I've been lead astray by this many times. Found a source that says hemp, got excited. Looked into it and it's really something else.
Doubt WH Holmes actually found cannabis fiber it would be a huge discovery if he did. If the Smithsonian knew about it in the 1890s it would have been big news.
I'm most doubtful of the cannabis resin claim. If it's not internet noise samples get contaminated all the time.Don't really want to get into this discussion because there are people that are adamant about it. But as far as the science goes, no evidence for cannabis in the western hemisphere before the Spaniards.
My personal feeling, it is such a useful plant for drug, food and fiber it would be widespread throughout the continents if it was here. Look at how widespread it was in Eurasia and Africa. If it was in the western hemisphere it would be obvious.
Having said that, I'd look in South America if I was looking for hemp. Brazil has a very old history of cannabis use and there was pre Euro contact with Polynesians and maybe Chinese to the west.
As far as Vikings, the ones that discovered America weren't farmers they were fishers and herdsmen. They came from Greenland and Iceland with no history of hemp cultivation.

xet

Mayans were growing Cannabis farms for use as tobacco as early as 1800B.C. (~4000 years ago) and they had long established trade routes through what is today all of North America.

The idea civilization arrived in the Americas 2-400 years ago is strange.

burningfire

Veteran
Mayans were growing Cannabis farms for use as tobacco as early as 1800B.C. (~4000 years ago) and they had long established trade routes through what is today all of North America.

The idea civilization arrived in the Americas 2-400 years ago is strange.

source? every post you make is more outlandish than the last.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I have yet to see any concrete evidence that supports cannabis was in the new world pre-European colonization but one thing is for sure, it is now an integral and most likely permanent resident of our lands and history.

xet

source? every post you make is more outlandish than the last.

Go to a library.

In the meantime I will add you to my growing list of haters on my ignore list. :laughing::dance013::tiphat:

As for what defines a hater: anytime I see people needlessly whining, insulting others, making up things about others, starting beefs, and general childish behavior --> ignore list. Saves me time later. Add value to the conversation not, "NUH UH BRUH. UR DUMB. I READ UR STUFF. AND ITS DUMB.ME AND MY FWENZ DONT LIKE U USING UR THOUGHTS. HERRRRR."

Last edited:

xet

Back on topic: a tribe of Native Americans I know are currently growing Glue.

Last edited:

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Go to a library.

In the meantime I will add you to my growing list of haters on my ignore list. :laughing::dance013::tiphat:

As for what defines a hater: anytime I see people needlessly whining, insulting others, making up things about others, starting beefs, and general childish behavior --> ignore list. Saves me time later. Add value to the conversation not, "NUH UH BRUH. UR DUMB. I READ UR STUFF. AND ITS DUMB.ME AND MY FWENZ DONT LIKE U USING UR THOUGHTS. HERRRRR."

Come on man,

You're here with farfetched claims and when people ask for your source your only answer his go to a library?...and yet you've got the gut to say we're haters?:laughing:

Let your post be usefull and educate us, we're all about being enlightened with new datas...it would be far more constructive than your actual whining...

ahortator

Veteran
mYRCzZb.jpg

:woohoo:
hqLhFoG.jpg

https://books.google.es/books?id=o_...#v=onepage&q=mexican marijuana brujas&f=false

I think you had tons of the stuff only a few decades ago!