What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis Tea dosage

theclearspot

Ive read varying recipes with different amounts of bud to put into a cup of Cannabis Tea. My recipe is:

1 Cup of Full Fat Milk
Small Tea Spoon of Butter
1g of Bud (Flowers not trim) ground or cut up.

I cook this to boiling then simmer for 30mins in a pot on the stove. Then pour through a siv and add to a normal cup of black tea.

My question is - how much bud would you put into 1 cup of milk and would you drink it all or half etc. My last attempt wasnt so potent either because a. not enough herb or b. I didnt simmer for long enough.

Thoughts please....:tiphat:

blastfrompast

Veteran
30 min at 100'C (water boiling temp) won't fully decarb your product.

You would be better off making Canna butter first, then adding it to your tea/milk.

I make Hot Choco-canna-milk...Nuke 1/2 cup milk 45 seconds...add in 1 tablespoon cannabutter...2 dashes choclate syrup...Heat from milk melts butter....whip it..drink it.... 1-1.5hours later....WOWZA..

Buddy uses a teaspoon...but my tollerance is much higher....it also hits him way faster than it does me.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't bother with butter. Simmering bud or trim in whole milk works great for me. I have a low tolerance with edibles / drinkables, so 1 gram of good bud would be too much for one night.

I used to simmer larger amounts of bud or trim in whole milk, then freeze the milk into ice cubes. If you get the concentration right, adding an ice cube to your drink is all you need. Coffee, tea, even Guinness all taste great that way. Regular coffee with milk tastes like it's missing something these days.

wolfhoundaddy

Veteran
cannacubes

cannacubes

I decarb 4 grams popcorn bud ( or 7-8 grams sugertrim). Double boil it in 3 cups milk for an hr. It will reduce down, so I keep adding milk at the end so I end up with a full 3 cups. Three cups will fill two ice cube trays full. So I end with 24 cube doses. I strain the ground up bud out, but manually put a pinch back into each cube when done. ( my patient doesn't mind it and I figure it can only add to the desired effect). It does the job

theclearspot

I decarb 4 grams popcorn bud ( or 7-8 grams sugertrim). Double boil it in 3 cups milk for an hr. It will reduce down, so I keep adding milk at the end so I end up with a full 3 cups. Three cups will fill two ice cube trays full. So I end with 24 cube doses. I strain the ground up bud out, but manually put a pinch back into each cube when done. ( my patient doesn't mind it and I figure it can only add to the desired effect). It does the job

Good stuff. 4grams seems a lot is that for how many doses? Im tryin to figure out a good dose (i know it depends on tolerance, strain etc) per session. I mean I use 1gram per cup of milk for a session.....

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good stuff. 4grams seems a lot is that for how many doses? Im tryin to figure out a good dose (i know it depends on tolerance, strain etc) per session. I mean I use 1gram per cup of milk for a session.....

4 grams for 24 doses sounds about right for me depending on bud quality. A little bit of weed milk goes a long way for some people. Everyone has a different tolerance for edibles and drinkables. I think some people just have an easier time digesting and absorbing it.

If you need over a gram to get a good high, maybe tinctures are the way to go. Decarb, extract your oil, and dissolve 50 / 50 in Everclear 190. A few drops added to your tea is all it should take.

theclearspot

4 grams for 24 doses sounds about right for me depending on bud quality. A little bit of weed milk goes a long way for some people. Everyone has a different tolerance for edibles and drinkables. I think some people just have an easier time digesting and absorbing it.

If you need over a gram to get a good high, maybe tinctures are the way to go. Decarb, extract your oil, and dissolve 50 / 50 in Everclear 190. A few drops added to your tea is all it should take.

Ok so I tried the new recipe (decarbed the bud in oven) then did as usual simmering in full fat milk for 1hr. Weird thing I was about to give up on it after 1.5 hrs virtually nothin then suddenly it rolled in strong high more couch lock type than when smokin same bud. So that was 1g in 1 cup of Milk. pretty strong.:dance013:

theclearspot

I think that the decarb probably did the trick:party:
Yeah kind of a heavier stone but good. I think its good to experiment, now I know my dosage is about 1g per cup which I would drink in 1 evenin, dont really know if thats more or less than normal dose for CannaTea. Ive heard of really strong Bhang Lassis in India which have crippled dudes not use to them. God knows how many grams is in them.

titoon29

Travelling Cannagrapher Penguin !
Veteran
Hello !

1g of buds for a properly prepared edible is much more than even most heavy smokers can handle.

As a rule of thumb, I usually recommand trying the same amount in edibles as one can smoke in one joint. So generally, about 0.1g is enough for light smokers.

Now on the milk, to me it is hard to properly dose, since it seem like decarboxylation happens (despite low temperature) but is hard to control. Also it doesn t keep more than a couple of days, so need to make it fresh every time.

Therefore, I would say it takes too much time, is not very reliable in term of dosage, and uses too much energy (cooking every time...)

That is why I generally make a butter or oil mix, that i use in milk tea/coffee, and I would suggest you do so :) Trust me you won't go back !

So, using a good quantity of herb, you make a proper butter or coconut oil mixture. I would recommand a ratio like 5g of oil/butter for 1g of herb.

- decarb herb in the oven in a closed container for max 20 minutes @120 C / 245 F ( this will ensure more a high than a stone)

-mix herb, butter or coco oil in a pot that is sealed, put it to simmer in boiling water bath for up to 10 hours ( the longer, the better the mix )

- filter, keep the oil/butter mix in the fridge or freezer.

Now you have a proper, strong mix, that can be just dropped in a hot milky beverage, or added to food, and is much less work than making a milk every time.

To test the product, start with 0.1g equivalent of herb. Be careful since overdosing is extremly uncomfortable, and yes this mix could potentially be 10 times stronger than the milk.

You can additionnally cook some of the mix, to decarb it more, and also have a more stoney mix for when needed. another 20 minutes for instance, at 120 C /145 F.

Cheers,

Titoon

theclearspot

'1g of buds for a properly prepared edible is much more than even most heavy smokers can handle'.

Oh no ! Im a fiend.....! Have to cut down....:laughing:

titoon29

Travelling Cannagrapher Penguin !
Veteran
:laughing:

No, I actually think that your method doesn't deliver optimal results.

Try the butter/oil method once, I think you will see the difference. I would actually suggest not to try one gram equivalent of buds in once that way, you may have a bad surprise. Trust me I have experimented for years :biggrin:

Another option is, some people don't actually get very high or get zero high from ingesting, not sure why but there is much more difference than with smoking/vaping tolerance.

:tiphat:

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
'1g of buds for a properly prepared edible is much more than even most heavy smokers can handle'.

Oh no ! Im a fiend.....! Have to cut down....:laughing:

Getting high from an edible depends on 3 things in general. Your overall tolerance matters along with how it was prepared and how well you absorb it.

1 gram of good bud simmered in milk would get me way too high for way too long. Lol. Edibles have always worked well for me. They've always felt stronger than smoking the same amount of bud. Maybe you don't absorb it as well for some reason, giving you a higher tolerance for edibles.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
That's right m314

That's right m314

My Cana Cookies kick my butt.

I am only eating them on Friday nights, giving me some time to recover.

Watch your dosage, hehe :woohoo:

theclearspot

:laughing:

No, I actually think that your method doesn't deliver optimal results.

Try the butter/oil method once, I think you will see the difference. I would actually suggest not to try one gram equivalent of buds in once that way, you may have a bad surprise. Trust me I have experimented for years :biggrin:

Another option is, some people don't actually get very high or get zero high from ingesting, not sure why but there is much more difference than with smoking/vaping tolerance.

:tiphat:

Yes possibly my method not perfect but I followed the recipe to the letter on another page here about Chai recipe, cant remember the poster right now. I think everyone has different metabolism etc thats prob the main factor. I mean when smoking I get stoned on a tiny part of a gramme I mean a couple of finger nails in a pipe or less. But yes must try Titton your butter/oil method cheers for that tip!Im thinking maybe the issue is with the 'simmering' -perhaps u need to heat it a bit higher I tend to have milk on low heat just slightly bubbles...or maybe im a bad fiend dope freak!

* Passes a joint to Fat Freddy...:biggrin:

Latest posts

Latest posts