What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Jujitsu anyone.......

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
i would love to take a jiu jitsu class, but i have the time nor money.

You dont have an extra 2-3 hours per week? That sucks.

It is expensive though i will give you that. It takes 10+years constant training for most people to get black belt so its no surprise they want to be paid well, after that time training they basically have a PHD

I stopped in and trained at 10th planet burbank recently, it was interesting. I think they have a tricky no-gi game but seems like a lot of guys were lacking some fundamentals. I think it is better to train there after one has already learned the basics. I would hate to be an absolute beginner trying to learn rubber guard

RespectGreen

Veteran
No gi is no fun without knowing the fundamentals, but also at the same time teaches you to be cleaner with your submissions. Easier and more fun to use a gi against someone or having to defend using it on you. Without gi I've always thought of as pretty much wrestling. I've been a white belt for 4 years now because I only go spiratically for fun and when free. My best friend is a instructor/black belt he received from the ribiero brothers.

Last edited:

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
You dont have an extra 2-3 hours per week? That sucks.

It is expensive though i will give you that. It takes 10+years constant training for most people to get black belt so its no surprise they want to be paid well, after that time training they basically have a PHD

I stopped in and trained at 10th planet burbank recently, it was interesting. I think they have a tricky no-gi game but seems like a lot of guys were lacking some fundamentals. I think it is better to train there after one has already learned the basics. I would hate to be an absolute beginner trying to learn rubber guard

I totally agree, congrats on your pants holder upper.

How was your test?

ariston

I trained bjj for a while in a very small club with noobs only. We often had a good sambo guy come and hold classes but the main instructor was lame, he didn't show up to class and said the club will only work if the members make it work. Can't say it sucked because we had a fun time and I got very good strength-endurance.

I tried two other large clubs and the trainers told me I am a bit too good for a whitebelt but my moves aren't really jiujitsu. Theres also a huge, and I mean HUGE problem with behavior in MMA/BJJ clubs. It's almost as if you can't train there if you aint gangsta. A bunch of mid 20s guys who failed in pretty much everything in life and have their whole ego hanging on a tiny string of their bjj whitebelt. One of the clubs said the rules must be upheld by all members. The other club said he tries sometimes but the idiots get weeded out. I say fuck it if I pay for membership then I expect to get proper instruction and to train with normal human beings.

On a side note I recommend everyone to try sambo. There are different styles but I refer to "combat sambo" both with strikes and without. Most of the locks are forbidden in submission wrestling/jj/BJJ but they are very effective and efficient in real life. It opens you up a bit from thinking of getting a proper takedown and then a good position to just slamming/judo throwing and getting a sub, and they're very painful.

tact1

Start jj 3 months ago, doing my first naga in a few weeks. Pretty amazing, my forearms are so sore. I caught a few minor injuries from trying to muscle shit, and just trying to discover limitations of body mechanics. Like feeling like you can sweep when you really can't, sweeping when you feel you can't but you can.

It really is physical chess and has to be an absolute awesome way to get into shape. I thought I was in shape, I was not in shape. Two minutes of sparring can literally bring a man to his knees and feel like he could be beaten to death by a small child with an uncooked footlong hotdog.

B

Bob Green

See if you can find a Ribero school

ribero jiu jitsu > gracie jiu jitsu all day

ribero is all about the pressure passes

This statement is beyond... Well shit man I don't even know where to begin.

I will start off by mentioning that Xande, and Saulo are both Gracie Humita Black Belts under Royler Gracie from White all the way through Black.

Also Royler lives in San Diego and they all still train together for the most part.

But Royler is the reason that the brothers are world champions in the first place plain and simple. You don't have to like it but it is the truth.

shithawk420

Veteran
Krav maga.thats all im gonna say.throws are good but joint locks are key.its way easier to break bones that way.im a pro by the way.my buddy is a gold olympic champ.ill help any of you guys if you want advice tips etc

shithawk420

Veteran
Ariston knows his shit.kali escrima is great too for joint locks but requirs a stick.use at your own risk.

B

Bob Green

My favorite Olympic Champion has to be Michael Phelps. Imagine the bong rips this guy can take. Beast ass lungs and an insane amount of medals.

Hero of cannabis.

shithawk420

Veteran
Lol!i was referring to olympic judo but you got a good point Bob Green!my buddy dont drink but likes to smoke when he isnt training

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
judo is a bit different than bjj. judo guys have great takedowns and are good at maintaining top position and attacking the turtle, but they inevitably lose to the best bjj guys in grappling tournaments.

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Damn I miss training. I got to roll with a 2 stripe blue belt recently in the park. I tapped out twice, but escaped everything he threw at me until I gassed out. I was so fun "fighting" a complete stranger. I was able to get the top position but it was a weird side mount-ish position with our legs entangled.

My highlight was when I was put in an omoplata but he didnt have control of my hips so I just let it happen stood up and stepped over his head.

It was a really good work out and great fun. It also felt good knowing that I could hang with a 2 stripe. Need cardio tho.

Last edited:
B

Bob Green

Nice man keep it up and you will start creeping up on Purples in no time!

Joint Lock

Krav maga.thats all im gonna say.throws are good but joint locks are key.its way easier to break bones that way.im a pro by the way.my buddy is a gold olympic champ.ill help any of you guys if you want advice tips etc

Krap Maga . LMAO

When did Krap maga get added to the Olympics LMMFAO . Relson Gracie blackbelt here .Im now doing 10th planet system of no gi jiujits. Marcelo Garcia vs all if u want a favorite of mine

Judo and Brazilian jiujitsu 2 different things schrews / Your losing on your back in judo . Your just fine in jiujitsu . Judo mor ebased off of strength . Jiujitsu based off of leverage to over power strength . It all goes back to nawaza anyway ,Judo an jiujitsu all stem from it . Blackbelt in jiujitsu can be done in 6yrs with time and dedication . Most ppl have more of a chance of becoming a doctor then a blackbelt . It is a commitment for sure .

To me its a way of life , Jiujitsu has made me look at the world different . made me a better father, son , husband , friend to the world. ive got 15yrs in . I love jiujitsu as much as I love growing cannabis. Without jiujitsu kill me life is over anyway . Hope all of u here are not learning sport jiujitsu . But learning real jiujitsu with strikes being thrown at u

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
Judo is a sport tamed from jiu-jitsu. Jiu-jitsu was a battle field fighting system.bjj is a poor attempt the Japanese jiu-jitsu.imo having studied them for a decade.
Peace

G

Ghostdawg

Your right Azad...great post & great thread...

I dont think Bjj is traditional jiu jitsu because count koma taught them A raw style
Of jiu jitsu helio brought in his own way of Bjj system

Joint Lock

Judo is a sport tamed from jiu-jitsu. Jiu-jitsu was a battle field fighting system.bjj is a poor attempt the Japanese jiu-jitsu.imo having studied them for a decade.
Peace

What a stupid ass statement being Brazilian jiujitsu is modified for smaller ppl and based off of leverage. Vs power and strikes during joint locks .

Gracie Jiu Jitsu developed in Brazil in the early 1900s using techniques learned from the great Japanese champion, Mitsuyo Maeda (known in Brazil as Conde Koma—the "Count of Combat"). Maeda, who was taught by Jigoro Kano, the creator of Judo, fought hundreds of victorious challenge matches against practitioners of other styles using his Judo techniques to overcome them. Maeda had become a champion Judoka in Japan and was so highly revered by Kano he was sent around the world to spread Japanese Jiujitsu/Judo.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Peace

G`day azad

For combat sports it would seem BJJ > J JJ .
Only 2 Japanese guys I rate as Ju jitsu players in MMA ; Aoki and Imanari .

Sakuraba was a catch wrestler ...

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Latest posts

Latest posts