What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dark Chewy Canna Caramels

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This recipe will make roughly 60 pieces, depending on how you size them. You could use a silicon mold if you were so inclined.

Key notes:

- You must use a heavy bottomed sauce pan, that has an even heat distribution. I use stainless steel with a bonded aluminum bottom. If you use a thin pan, you'll likely burn the sugar.

- You must use a candy thermometer. Everything is dependent upon hitting the right temperatures.

- Don't try making candy on humid days. During the curing process, it will absorb atmospheric moisture and never set properly.

------------

1/2 cup Heavy Cream
1/2 cup Canna Budder
(1/4c cannabudder + 1/4c unsalted butter - make less potent)

Apply just enough heat to melt the budder evenly into the cream. (microwave works fine) Set aside for later use.

picture.php

3 tbsp water
1/4 cup Light Corn Syrup
1 cup Sugar

*Important*

- When stirring and heating, avoid letting any sugar solution get on the side walls of the pot. This will later crystallize and make a grainy / gritty caramel.

1. Over medium heat ----> Place 3 tbsp of water in the pot. Add 1/4c light corn syrup. Pour 1 cup of sugar in the center.

Using a silicon spoon or spatula that can easily reach all corners and edges, gently stir until sugar is evenly spread out in the mixture.

2. Place a lid over the pot, and let simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove the lid, place candy thermometer on the side of the pot.

3. Increase burner to "High" and heat solution to 350F and immediately remove from heat. The sugar will have begun to brown and caramelize at this temperature, gently swirl it to even the color.

*Important* - DO NOT let the temperature break 355F. The solution will begin to immediately burn and start smoking. This will char the flavor of the candy. Learn you sauce pot and how well it heats up or holds heat. You will likely remove from heat about 340F and let it finish rising to the right temp, if you don't want to scorch it.

picture.php

4. Let rest for about 2-3 minutes until temperature has cooled to 320F.

*Get cream and budder mixture set aside earlier*

*Important* - Use the candy thermometer to stir in the cream/budder mixture. Using another object to stir, that is a different temperature than the solution, will cause sugar crystallization.

5. You need to temper the cream/budder into the hot sugar solution, so you have to incorporate it slowly, in multiple parts, usually 5-6 small additions. As you add the butter and cream, the temperature of the mixture will drop. Stir gently until everything is incorporated and you have an even smooth mixture without any lumps, during each small incorporation.

6. Place the pot back on the stove, and set the burner to "High". Without stirring anything, let the solution simmer until it reaches 255F. Immediately remove from heat.

7. Pour caramel over shallow dish lined in parchment paper. Allow to cool on a wire rack, for more even cooling. Let cool for 30 minutes. Add coarse sea salt over the top now, if desired. Let sit for another 4 hours.

*Important* - The caramel needs time to set. DO NOT try to cut it or move it during this setting period. You'll just push the butter out of the sugar and you'll get a greasy mess. Be patient and let it set up.

The reward, is an amazing medible that you can take on the go and be very low key about your consumption. Enjoy!!! :tiphat:

picture.php

picture.php

The above were made using a mix of 1/4 stick CannaBudder with 1/4 stick regular unsalted butter. The result was roughly 118mg of THC per caramel.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

starke

Definitely keeping this one. Between this recipe, Arthritis_sucks' Gummy recipe and Bobby Boucher's properly tempered chocolates I will have to really up my medibles game. Thank you good sir. Bookmarked.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you've ever had a "Riesen" chocolate covered caramel - this recipe produces that harder, more firm, darker, slightly salty, delicious candy that holds texture but still melts in your mouth.

You can hold these under your tongue for a couple minutes and benefit from sublingual absorbtion.

A straight run with sativa material for your butter and these caramels are fantastic medicine to get you through day.

A friend who teaches told me, "The 7th and 8th graders no longer bother me."

That's the level of discreet I personally prefer and I know others working in professional environments value that as well.

I'm really happy with these being around the 90-120mg THC range, which is why I use the 1/2 and 1/2 butter mixture for this particular recipe.

If you make them, let me know what you think! :respect:

dank.Frank

Last edited:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
1 oz to 1 stick. Always. I always use a pressure cooker. Takes about 8 hours still under 13-14 lbs of pressure.

That is technically, 25% material to butter by weight. 1/4lb trim to 1lb butter.

dank.Frank