Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Grow Diaries > Micro Grows > Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

Thread Title Search
Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-27-2015, 03:49 AM #21
blynx
WALSTIB

blynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant future
Measurement at 12"

over 12"

measurement at 6"

measurement at 9"

blynx is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:51 AM #22
blynx
WALSTIB

blynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant future
Let's remove the reflector

blynx is offline Quote

Old 10-27-2015, 03:54 AM #23
blynx
WALSTIB

Measurement at 12"

over 12"

measurement at 6"

measurement at 9"

front view

Measurements for this LED compared to 13w CFL (lux readings at 100x scaling)

13w 2700k CFL
12" 7 lux
6" 28 lux
9" 101 lux

10w 2700k LED2 with lens
12" 10 lux
6" 49 lux
9" 316 lux

10w 2700k LED2 with no lens and with reflector
12" 8 lux
6" 40 lux
9" 260 lux

10w 2700k LED2 with no lens and no reflector
12" 42 lux
6" 190 lux
9" 872 lux

Last edited by blynx; 10-28-2015 at 03:08 PM..
blynx is offline Quote

9 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:09 AM #24
Jellyfish
Invertebrata Inebriata

Jellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivor
Like I said, it's good information, but I won't be convinced until someone does a side by side comparison in an actual grow situation.
Jellyfish is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:18 AM #25
MicroRoy

MicroRoy is a survivorMicroRoy is a survivorMicroRoy is a survivorMicroRoy is a survivorMicroRoy is a survivorMicroRoy is a survivorMicroRoy is a survivorMicroRoy is a survivorMicroRoy is a survivorMicroRoy is a survivorMicroRoy is a survivor

Times they are a changing and blynx is keeping up.
MicroRoy is offline Quote

Old 10-27-2015, 06:27 AM #26
ReikoX
Knight of the BlackSvn

ReikoX is a survivorReikoX is a survivorReikoX is a survivorReikoX is a survivorReikoX is a survivorReikoX is a survivorReikoX is a survivorReikoX is a survivorReikoX is a survivorReikoX is a survivorReikoX is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellyfish View Post
Like I said, it's good information, but I won't be convinced until someone does a side by side comparison in an actual grow situation.
I would like to see that too, my hypothesis is thee gain in LUX is due to the directional nature of the LED itself. Isn't lumens over an area not a point source?

While not a perfect scientific side by side, blynx is showing similar results with the receccesed lighting version of these. He has another cab the same size with CFL lights and has documented many grows in it thoroughly.

Each has its place and each situation is different. A vertical grow with one of these is not going to work, but CFL would. I imagine these working best in a ScrOG situation.
ReikoX is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:41 PM #27
PetFlora

PetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellyfish View Post
Check IC archives. I grew under similar bulbs 2-3 years back. Quite effective for a small (or budget restricted) grower

also search www for CaptainMorgan. He did one around the same time on a different site

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=329619

Just because you weren't taught something doesn't mean it's not true, and vice versa
PetFlora is offline Quote

Old 10-27-2015, 03:12 PM #28
blynx
WALSTIB

I was hoping to avoid the these lights suck, or this is irrelevant info posts as I have not made any claims about these lights, I'm simply posting some light measurements.

For those that think that, you don't have to read this thread. There are plenty other threads on icmag for you to read.

These lights at this wattage/lumen output have not been available for a couple years in my area. There have been some expensive flood style LED lights available but they are big, bulky and expensive relative to a $5 LED that puts out more lumens. The globe style bulbs I did start seeing around here all had a lot lower lumen output than the same wattage LEDs that are available now do. I didn't start seeing similar lumens between CFL/LED same wattage until early this year in my area.

This thread is for people that use CFLs and don't want to buy an expensive fixture or don't want to make their own COB, yet might want cooler temps, lower wattage and similar yield to what they are currently getting with CFL.

I would only use these for micro grows.

This was a journey into trying LED again. I wanted to start the new cab in my other thread and then start this thread because that's the order it happened to me.

The first jump I made was getting the 22.5w recessed style lighting when I built a new cab. I started running across these cheaper LED bulbs shortly after the new cab was built.

As ReikoX mentioned, the new cab is basically the same size as my CFL scrog cab, so comparisons can be made between the two.

You don't like that? How about this.

I've been running my CFL cabs for a couple years now and been posting the results here.

I would think the best comparison I could make would be to take a CFL cab I've been using, swap out the CFLs and use these LEDs iin their place.

I will be doing that and posting the results.

Last edited by blynx; 10-27-2015 at 03:22 PM..
blynx is offline Quote

26 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:36 PM #29
igrowone

igrowone is a survivorigrowone is a survivorigrowone is a survivorigrowone is a survivorigrowone is a survivorigrowone is a survivorigrowone is a survivorigrowone is a survivorigrowone is a survivorigrowone is a survivorigrowone is a survivor
a fine thread on the topic
really impressed with the walmart bulb price/lux

Old 10-27-2015, 04:33 PM #30
Jellyfish
Invertebrata Inebriata

Jellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by blynx View Post
I was hoping to avoid the these lights suck, or this is irrelevant info posts as I have not made any claims about these lights, I'm simply posting some light measurements.

For those that think that, you don't have to read this thread. There are plenty other threads on icmag for you to read.
I just want to be clear that I'm not attacking your thread or you as a person. I appreciate all the links to comparison grows, and I'm gonna look into them.

Like I said in my FIRST post- this is good information, and I'm glad you shared it!
Jellyfish is offline Quote