Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Grow Diaries > Micro Grows > Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

Thread Title Search
Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2015, 06:32 AM #101
blynx
WALSTIB

blynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant future
Here's the measurements for the 10w Bright White (3000k) LED
(measurements at 100x scale)

Measurement at 12"

Measurement 12" over

Measurement at 6"

Measurement at 9"

blynx is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:35 AM #102
blynx
WALSTIB

blynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant futureblynx has a brilliant future
Here's the 10w Bright White (3000k) LED with it's lens removed

blynx is offline Quote

Old 11-14-2015, 06:38 AM #103
blynx
WALSTIB

Here's the measurements for the 10w Bright White (3000k) LED
(measurements at 100x scale)

Measurement at 12"

Measurement 12" over

Measurement at 6"

Measurement at 9"

Front view

blynx is offline Quote

Old 11-14-2015, 06:55 AM #104
blynx
WALSTIB

Here's the height of a 10w Soft White 2700k LED in a cleat socket

If you run your CFLs horizontally like I did in these tests, you probably aren't going to have them touching the edge or ceiling of your cab, so there will be some space around the bulb. The height of the 10W LED is about the same as the width of a CFL bulb plus a little space around the bulb. IE, you probably won't gain or lose space by swapping out the 10w LED for a horizontal CFL.

If you hang your CFLs down, then these LEDs will save you space.

Here's a 14w Daylight CFL hanging down next to a 10w Daylight LED with its lens removed.

Here's a 13w Soft White 2700k CFL next to the first two Soft White 2700k LEDs I posted in this thread.

Here's a 23w Soft White 2700k CFL next to the first two 10w Soft White 2700k LEDs

Here's the 40w Soft White 2700k CFL next to the two 10w Soft White 2700k LEDs

blynx is offline Quote

Old 11-14-2015, 09:06 AM #105
Killkingkong

Killkingkong has a spectacular aura aboutKillkingkong has a spectacular aura aboutKillkingkong has a spectacular aura about
Hey Blynx, nice to see you converting from cfl to led. a while back I converted my first grow pc from cfl to led i piled 8 e26 led bulbs. it worked great for veg, in fact too good I out grew that box and had cut way too early.

Since then I've built 2 more computer cases and a 5 gallon bucket and they're all LED, but cobs now. Nice to see you showing people consistent updates of what LEDs can do, you're one of the most consistent people posting here. I'm more into posting my electrical experiments than actual grow updates.
Killkingkong is offline Quote

Old 11-15-2015, 09:29 AM #106
blynx
WALSTIB

Time to see what these LEDs do.

I have an 11" x 11" CFL cab I've been running for a while now. It has 5 x 23w Soft White 2700k CFLs for a total of 115w.

Here's the heights of the CFL fixture with the five 23w CFLs.

The measurements I got from the 10w LEDs was a lot higher than I expected, so I'm thinking, what the heck, lets try running 3 x 10w LEDs for a total of 30w compared to the 115w I was running.

Here's the heights of the LEDs in place

blynx is offline Quote

Old 11-15-2015, 09:32 AM #107
blynx
WALSTIB

Here's a front shot of the GG4 under the CFLs and under the LEDs after I swapped lights.

blynx is offline Quote

Old 11-15-2015, 09:37 AM #108
blynx
WALSTIB

Here's the 11" x 11" cab running 30w of LEDs

Original Glue #4

Day 00 Flower

blynx is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:39 PM #109
blynx
WALSTIB

Here's the 11" x 11" cab after a week of flowering.

Original Glue #4

Day 07 Flower

blynx is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:10 AM #110
Terpene
I love the smell of cannabis in the morning

Terpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant futureTerpene has a brilliant future
Hey Blynx,

Are you also seeing a dramatic increase in veg rates?

I've gone from "decent" veg speed under the previous LED fixtures to what I can only describe as 1000w HPS growth rate.

Granted, my previous fixtures were a on the dimmer side for the square footage I was working in, but this is a night and day difference. I'm doubling stem size every week and the plants require a lot more tying / abuse to slow them down and spread them out. I don't mind, but my flowering area is going to get overrun at this rate!
Terpene is offline Quote