What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Cannabis Growing Industry Now Owen By Scotts Miracle-Gro

iBogart

Veteran
Scotts Miracle-Gro Buys Sunlight to Double Cannabis-Grower Sales

<address class="lede-large-content__byline">By Jack Kaskey
</address> <time class="article-timestamp" itemprop="datePublished" datetime="2018-04-17T21:35:15.928Z" data-type="updated" data-status="localized">April 17, 2018, 5:35 PM EDT</time>

Scotts Miracle-Gro Co. agreed to acquire the top U.S. distributor of hydroponics products for $450 million in cash and stock, a transaction that will more than double its sales to cannabis growers.
<aside class="inline-newsletter" data-state="ready"></aside>

Chief Executive Officer Jim Hagedorn is making the company’s largest-ever transaction as he continues his three-year transformation of Scotts, the largest maker of lawn and garden products, into a force in the cannabis industry. Nine states and the District of Columbia now allow recreational pot use, and the industry is expected to reach $75 billion in sales by 2030 as more legalize marijuana, according to Cowen & Co.

Scotts agreed to pay $425 million cash and $25 million in shares for closely held Sunlight Supply Inc., the Marysville, Ohio-based company said in a statement Tuesday. Sunlight will merge into Scotts’ Hawthorne Gardening Company unit.

“We are creating a game-changing moment for Scotts Miracle-Gro, for Hawthorne, the hydroponic products industry and the users of our products,” Hagedorn said in the statement. The deal is expected to close by June 1.

Deal Costs

Costs associated with the deal are expected to reduce earnings by 30 cents to 40 cents a share in fiscal 2018, Scotts said. Sales in the three months through March fell about 30 percent at Hawthorne because of regulatory changes in California, and about 5 percent in the U.S. consumer segment, the company said.
Scotts shares were largely unchanged in after-market trading, after closing higher Tuesday at $85.14.

The combined company would serve 1,800 hydroponic retail customers in the U.S. Sunlight has nine distribution facilities across North America.

The deal will boost sales in Scott’s Hawthorne Gardening subsidiary to about $600 million, from $290 million, the company said. Sunlight’s sales last year were about $460 million, with 20 percent coming from distributing Hawthorne’s products. The company generated about $55 million in earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization.

“The pending acquisition of Sunlight Supply now gives us the green light to aggressively optimize the businesses we’ve acquired and create a more efficient business that better serves the needs of consumers and our customers,” Hagedorn said.

Scotts previously acquired hydroponic brands such as Gavita, Botanicare, Can-Filters, and General Hydroponics.

By fiscal 2019, the transaction should add 60 cents to 80 cents a share to adjusted earnings, including plans to cut costs at Hawthorne by about $35 million. Scotts said it plans to boost Hawthorne profit to about $120 million with margins of 17 percent to 18 percent by the end of fiscal 2020.

Last edited:

iBogart

Veteran
game-over-man-game-over-15224285.png

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Support organic supplements not related to Scott's.

Here's a few to consider:
Bio Bizz, Advanced Nutrients, General Organics, Roots Organics, Technaflora

From Organic garden supply store-
Miracle-Gro is mass produced, made with inferior ingredients that are cheap and destructive to the environment. Scotts has been found guilty many times in US Ferderal Court of purposely mislabeling products with carcinogens and using products that are lethal to wildlife and humans.

Guess that says it all.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
420giveaway
On the bright side of this. Scott's has the money needed to lobby congressman and Senators. Changing laws and legalizing home grows that benefits Scotts and us as home growers. I'm organic soil myself. Scott's will want my money in time too. Let them earn it for all our greater good.
Peace brother's

thejact55

Its a billion dollar industry. Big players are gonna take a pc of that pie. Just stick to what you know is right and educated those close to you to do the same. Its all you can do, dont fret over it.

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
It no coincidence

It no coincidence

They have to have inside info that the laws are about to change. It’s big business already but if federal law changes and allows the banks to get involved it really pays off and I bet they know exactly how and on what time frame it’s going to go down. The end is near it’s just not as pretty as hoped. I like sunlight but I will fabricate my own fixtures before I buy from Scott’s.

therevverend

Veteran
I hate Scott's Miracle Grow and all their shitty products. There is no 'good side' of this. They own Round Up, Ortho, all that chemical nasty shit made by Monsanto.
Round Up is one of the players in Colony Collapse Disorder which is destroying the honey bee, mason bees, monarch butterflies, and probably thousands of other insects, amphibians, and reptiles I don't know about.
For an example of their business practices here's a couple gems from their wikipedia site:

'On January 27, 2012, Scotts Miracle-Gro agreed to plead guilty in federal court and pay $4.5 million in fines for selling 73 million units of bird seed from November 2005 to March 2008 that was coated with pesticide known to be deadly to birds and fish. Pesticides were added to protect the product from insects during storage, notwithstanding that Storcide II, one of the pesticides used, was clearly marked as extremely toxic to birds. Records show that its own experts warned of the risk in the summer and fall of 2007 and yet Scotts continued to sell the deadly product until March 2008. In 2008, Scotts Miracle-Gro also falsified pesticide registration numbers required by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency on its products'

On September 7, 2012, in Ohio, a federal court sentenced Scotts to pay a $4 million fine and perform community service for 11 criminal violations of the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA). In a separate agreement with the Environmental Protection Agency, Scotts agreed to pay more than $6 million in penalties and spend $2 million on environmental projects. According to the Justice Department, both the criminal and civil settlements are the largest under FIFRA to date.

For every time they get caught you know there's dozens of times they don't get caught. Fuck them to hell.
The Home Depot used to have an awesome soil mix, contained mycorrhizae and all sorts of good organic stuff. They've replaced it by a bunch of different kinds of Miracle Grow line organic soil that an unknowing person might buy. Now it's all you can buy there pisses me off.

Killing the soil bacteria, spreading fusarium blight.. We should go to war against this company, the entire earth.

Fuck all the nutrient companies, they've wrecked the scene and wrecked quality standards. Idiots think my weed is "enhanced" because it actually tastes natural instead of disgusting.