What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vintage Mexican, Seed germination and Micro propagation techniques.

Mystic Funk

thanks seeded!
I was going to start selecting plants now that I liked but now i'm going to wait till they are much older before I do anything.
I think there's something to this leaf trait thing with sativas in early growth.
my known panama and Columbian gold look just like the Mexican plants in growth.
I guess we'll have to wait and see....

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Happy for you mystic, got lots of plants to sort thru. On the indica looking early plants, yeah, I grew a Jarilla and have Acapulco Gold and Guerrero going now. All look like any hybrid or indica for first several weeks of veg.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ Well, I am making f2 seeds of all the different strains if that is what you mean. I may cross some of them. These are all seeds you can get commercially, well except the Guerrero which has been discontinued by Chimera.

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
They look generally happy Mystic. :) To what extent their overall morphology is going to change is of interest to me. Of the three that are growing for me; one displays very wide leaves and short height.
Great work!

Mystic Funk

update!

update!

Seedlings from the first few experiments.
I transplanted them out of the solo cups, they were starting to get hungry and out growing the cups.
I found a couple cool looking plants. one is a whored leaf and the other is a 4-way whorled leaf. I had plenty of 3 leaf but never a 4 leaf one. very cool!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

3-way
picture.php

4-way
picture.php

peace!
-mystic

Mystic Funk

also here are the Ga3 seedlings, these are the only two to survive. the 400ppm ga3 seedlings didn't make it only two of the 200ppm lived.
This will not be my go to germination method as you can see why. :laughing:

picture.php

seeded

I hope that 4 way plant is good enough to become a parent. The triple ones are genetic so the quad one should be too and with it doubling the average amount of branches it has the potential to double your yield without sacrificing quality, having a increase in the risk of bud rot, etc. I would say I'm green with envy but I was already green to begin with :biggrin:

Good luck with them all and thanks for keeping us all updated.

Mystic Funk

Thanks guys! :tiphat: i'm glad all you guys like the thread and I hope it will help someone get some old seeds to pop.

Hey seeded!
I was just tell someone that I hope these traits say like that. it would be a great tool for breeding, but most of the time with whored leaf is it goes away after a few nodes in growth.
I've only had one or two that stayed like that out of ten or so when working with my (G13 x Hawaiian).

keep your fingers crossed for me.;)

I hope that 4 way plant is good enough to become a parent. The triple ones are genetic so the quad one should be too and with it doubling the average amount of branches it has the potential to double your yield without sacrificing quality, having a increase in the risk of bud rot, etc. I would say I'm green with envy but I was already green to begin with :biggrin:

Good luck with them all and thanks for keeping us all updated.

Betterhaff

Veteran
I haven’t seen a substantial increase in yield with whorled plants and a large percentage turn out to be male. They do make more buds though but smaller, the plant is only capable of producing what the roots can support, if that makes any sense.

Great thread Mystic, hope you find some gems in all those seeds. Those GA3 seedlings sure took a stretch. It may have been the concentration and the duration of the soak, they obviously got a dose. When I’ve used it I only soak for a few hours, max 6, and then give a rinse before they go in towels. Got some early stretch but not anything like your pics.

Mystic Funk

I haven’t seen a substantial increase in yield with whorled plants and a large percentage turn out to be male. They do make more buds though but smaller, the plant is only capable of producing what the roots can support, if that makes any sense.

Great thread Mystic, hope you find some gems in all those seeds. Those GA3 seedlings sure took a stretch. It may have been the concentration and the duration of the soak, they obviously got a dose. When I’ve used it I only soak for a few hours, max 6, and then give a rinse before they go in towels. Got some early stretch but not anything like your pics.

thanks betterhaff!
that makes sense to me about the roots, but i would think the buds would be denser and you might have a better looking cola bud with less spacing. right?
I've had mostly males with whorled leaf too.

I'll have to try that method with the Ga3.

peace!
-mystic:tiphat:

Betterhaff

Veteran
The nodes were denser because of the 3 bud sites per but each bud was smaller. The very top was dense. Whorled is a weird trait, sometimes plants grow out of it, sometimes the side branches grow normally or sometimes when you take a clone from a side branch it reverts. Have even had topped plants where dominance took over at the auxiliary sites and 1 or 2 grew strong instead of all 3, and they reverted. I’ve rooted tops that were taken and some continued whorled and some reverted.

Interested to see what happens with your 4 banger.

seeded

Thanks guys! :tiphat: i'm glad all you guys like the thread and I hope it will help someone get some old seeds to pop.

Hey seeded!
I was just tell someone that I hope these traits say like that. it would be a great tool for breeding, but most of the time with whored leaf is it goes away after a few nodes in growth.
I've only had one or two that stayed like that out of ten or so when working with my (G13 x Hawaiian).

keep your fingers crossed for me.;)
It sucks how most grow out of it. If yours does I hope it tries to go into a spiral staircase instead of just going back to normal on you at a random node. The triple ones look awesome doing that so your one would likely put on a hell of a show :biggrin:

Mystic Funk

Seed scuffing/seed chipping

Seed scuffing/seed chipping

Sorry, I've been slacking big time with the seed popping methods.
I have two reasons why.
1# I've been very busy with other grows and breeding projects.
2# I've tried the seed chipping and seed scuffing method three times and it has been compromised each time with mold.
The first time I tried it I simply scuffed or chipped 50 seeds and then did the old seed soak and paper towel trick... well a few days later the seeds were covered in mold, so in the trash they went...
The next time I tried it I soaked them in about 1 to 2% hydrogen peroxide and I still got mold, but it didn't happen as fast as the first run.
Third times a charm!...right?...so I chipped and scuffed 50 more seeds and when I did the seed soak they went right in 3% hydrogen peroxide, that should kill just about anything? It did for five to six days, then it started to creep back, so again I took the bottle full of 3% h2o2 and put a sprayer head on it and hit the seeds in the paper towel to hopefully kill the mold off. It did help a little but there was no winning this time....I got a whopping 8% germination rate.

I had very high hopes for this experiment but it didn't go as planed. i'm not giving up on this one, I just need to step back and find out what went wrong before I waste more seeds...
what I don't understand is all the other seed soak and paper towel methods that I did in the first post went pretty smooth and I didn't get mold like this.
I'm hoping that someone here could give me some tips on how to do this germination method properly. I have seen so much on this method that I feel like I should have got better rates.

These are the seeds that I scuffed.
I took a piece of 150 grit sand paper and rolled it up and put that in a glass test tube, 50 seeds went in and I shook them for 5 minutes.
picture.php

This is one of the 50 seeds that I chipped with a very sharp razor to remove a small piece of the seed hull so moisture could penetrate the embryo and hopefully jump start germination.
picture.php

pease!
-mystic:tiphat:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So the worm bin wins again I guess. I may try to get one going, like a mini one.

I had mold on some seeds that were soaked in h2ho or peroxide 3% for an hour then placed in between anti bacterial sponges dampened with distilled water. I could not have been more careful and used gloves. After 5 days they were not going to pop and mold was starting so they were trashed.

shiroshi

ICMag Donor
Just a thought:. You might be able to hit your sprouting chamber (in my case clear plastic Tupperware that I wrap in aluminum foil and let sit in the warmth of my grow room) ... with a dose of UV light. This could be used to keep the mold at bay while not disturbing the integrity of the grow and probably not negatively affecting any seeds that had not yet popped. It might allow you a little more time to see if those stubborn ones will sprout.... Interesting thread to follow!

Mystic Funk

Thanks for the tips guys.:tiphat:
i'm going to give this one a break for awhile and i'm moving on to another method that uses aloe to pop seeds. a friend of mine growingcrazy told me about it.
i'll get that one together as soon as I can and will post it up.

peace!
-mystic