What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gun ownership in medical/legal states illegal?

Skunky McNugget

I'm in beautiful Colorado and if I owned guns given to me by family members in the 70's would I have to surrender them if I was medical Marijuana patient? If I applied for firearm would feds know I'm mmj patient? I guess I could just become a crazy ass drunk then I could "legally" own a gun. LOL :moon: feds

armedoldhippy

Veteran
until they get the law straightened out, i would keep any heirlooms somewhere else. some state courts say med weed not something that keeps you from having firearms, other less enlightened places look for an excuse to kick your door in. i think the Supreme Court ought to weigh in on this myself...if you don't put a sign out front saying "come on in! we'll burn one & play with my gun collection..." you should be okay.:tiphat:

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I live in Colorado and have a MMJ license and guns for hunting and target shooting. SUPPOSEDLY the feds don't have any access to the database of MMJ licenses. If you buy a new gun here there is a form which asks if you are addicted to alcohol and marijuana. If you are a MMJ you are supposed to answer yes (LOL) which automatically disqualifies you from buying a new gun. Like armedoldhippy says you need to maintain a low profile and you should be good.

blastfrompast

Veteran
I live in Colorado and have a MMJ license and guns for hunting and target shooting. SUPPOSEDLY the feds don't have any access to the database of MMJ licenses. If you buy a new gun here there is a form which asks if you are addicted to alcohol and marijuana. If you are a MMJ you are supposed to answer yes (LOL) which automatically disqualifies you from buying a new gun. Like armedoldhippy says you need to maintain a low profile and you should be good.

addicted to POT...everytime I hear this I think of bob saget in half baked..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARXHHevvr6Q

Certain counties will throw your ass in jail if they find guns on your grow in Cali.
I think the majority would unfortunately. I dont keep mine around I wish I could.
They make you answer a question. ..are you addicted to marijuana...lol
I've bought some with stacks of 20's

snake11

If anything happens federal whatever the state law is does not matter. Guns = longer time and no access to certain programs in prison if federal charges are brought. In a federal case you can't even mention your medical as it is not a valid/recognized defense.

[YOUTUBEIF]zxSSSwM6Ktc[/YOUTUBEIF]

I never heard of wasp spray being used instead. But I think I'll stick with my big can of bear spray.
318ztgU-a7L.jpg

Last edited:

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Better to have a spray to try to protect yourself than nothing, but...
Besides making sure the wind wont blow it back into your face, using a spray in tight quarters may not work so well for you either.
Here is a test you can do to see the difficulty of using a spray.
Get a friend to stand 20-30 feet away from you. Using a can of something like shaving cream,have him charge you and try to spray them in the face with it before he reaches you .
Good luck....
This is the same reason anyone within 20-30 feet from you with a knife is a deadly threat. If they charge you chances are they will reach you before you can react defensively.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Loser POS scumbag. I'd rather see the pharmacist put couple bullets into his chest and one between his eyes for good measure to make sure he never robs anyone again.

Bob-Smith

If anything happens federal whatever the state law is does not matter. Guns = longer time and no access to certain programs in prison if federal charges are brought. In a federal case you can't even mention your medical as it is not a valid/recognized defense.

The odds of medical patients getting raided by the feds went down, supposedly:

AMENDMENT
H.Amdt.332 — 114th Congress (2015-2016)
Description Amendment prohibits the use of funds in the bill to supersede State law in those States that have legalized the use of medical marijuana.
Amends Bill: H.R.2578
Sponsor: Rep. Rohrabacher, Dana [R-CA-48] (Offered 06/03/2015)
Latest Action: 06/03/15 On agreeing to the Rohrabacher amendment (A064) Agreed to by recorded vote: 242 - 186 (Roll no. 283). (consideration: CR H3786-3787)

The amendment to the last budget prohibits feds from raiding - supposedly. The DEA has a history of pretending laws like this don't exist, so it'll have to be fought in court when they raid the next place.

The amendment was passed by both houses of Congress in December 2014 as part of a $1.1 trillion spending bill.[5] The full text of the 2014 House Amendment is as follows:
SEC. 558. None of the funds made available in this Act to the Department of Justice may be used, with respect to the States of Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin, to prevent such States from implementing their own State laws that authorize the use, distribution, possession, or cultivation of medical marijuana.

https://rohrabacher.house.gov/legislation/sponsored-bills

Last edited:

phazer

so in CO u dont have to have ur guns registered. someone can give u a gun no problem, not sure how it works with mmj tho. i recently wanted to buy a handgun, and then heard they asked if u use any illegal substance. well been a med patient for 4 years here, and i know the DEA has access to the med records so i figured that would have to pop up. Im sure the fbi has that list but who can say for sure. I would personally have em anyways. gonna bring my .270 back from home next time im there

I saw the most recent episode of Dark Net on showtime. theres this guy that sells u 3d printers, programmed with all the software on it to create working AR15's. its a pretty well produced show, and part of my wants to get one. but i dont trust it haha

Latest posts

Latest posts