What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Machine trim vs hand trim

gumby420

Has anyone else noticed a difference? I was running one guys material and it kept coming out dark and on the sappy side even though he was saying it was within a week of being dried. We eventually did a side by side, same harvest, he hand trimmed half and machine trimmed half. The machine trim came out dark and the hand trim came out gold and stable. Any other experiences with this?

Blast

Maybe the lubricant used for the trimming machine contaminated the trim? Many people in my area use cooking spray liberally to lubricate the blades. After that most just use the trim for cannabutter.

TNEx

Ive had similar experience . Same crop, same cut , same everything except manual vs. machine. Machine came out darker and less "stable" I thought at the time it might have been that perhaps it had picked up more moisture along the way, but could be the machine pulverizes it too much , like when you use a coffee grinder to break up material. It tends to make the product come darker and more sappy

gumby420

i asked if he was using a cooking oil, he was using vegetable oil i believe, he stopped and started using ISO in between each pound he trimmed, obviously letting the alcohol evaporate before running the machine. it made no difference. i was thinking that maybe some chlorophyll might be coating the trim from all the cutting??? or from all the tossing around the trichome heads were just pulverized?? i dont know... good to hear someone else has had a similar experience. its been bugging me for months

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Has anyone else noticed a difference? I was running one guys material and it kept coming out dark and on the sappy side even though he was saying it was within a week of being dried. We eventually did a side by side, same harvest, he hand trimmed half and machine trimmed half. The machine trim came out dark and the hand trim came out gold and stable. Any other experiences with this?

More bruised plant cell edges with the automatic, allowing the cells to bleed into the extraction, plus what ever lubricant is used to keep the blades from coating.

Hand trim produces much nicer extractions.

BigJohnny

More bruised plant cell edges with the automatic, allowing the cells to bleed into the extraction, plus what ever lubricant is used to keep the blades from coating.

Hand trim produces much nicer extractions.

This....

Anything I've sprayed thats hand trim turns out nice. ALL machine trim when done wet turns out sappy and dark, good only for edible oil.

Dry trimming machines however don't have this issue apparently.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This....

Anything I've sprayed thats hand trim turns out nice. ALL machine trim when done wet turns out sappy and dark, good only for edible oil.

Dry trimming machines however don't have this issue apparently.

Can they operate without lubricant on the cutters?

BigJohnny

Can they operate without lubricant on the cutters?

I should've clarified, there are trimming machines that trim buds after they've been dried, I don't know the makes/models off hand though.

Trim that comes from these machines turns out as well as hand trim and doesn't end up dark or sticky/runny, also because the flowers are already dried it's a much slower process and doesn't beat the shit out of the buds.

It's like a really long cage blower from a squirrel cage fan and the buds sort of just gently bounce along.

EDIT

Here's one of them, there are much better ones that I can't find at the moment.
[YOUTUBEIF]UHACpwrCb78[/YOUTUBEIF]

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I should've clarified, there are trimming machines that trim buds after they've been dried, I don't know the makes/models off hand though.

Trim that comes from these machines turns out as well as hand trim and doesn't end up dark or sticky/runny, also because the flowers are already dried it's a much slower process and doesn't beat the shit out of the buds.

It's like a really long cage blower from a squirrel cage fan and the buds sort of just gently bounce along.

EDIT

Here's one of them, there are much better ones that I can't find at the moment.
[youtubeif]UHACpwrCb78[/youtubeif]

I'm familiar with dry trimmers, just wonder if they can operate without a lubricant.

I've seen them demonstrated in various configurations, but never asked them about lubrication before their demonstration or cleaning afterwards.

A simple pair of scissors gums up under the same circumstances, is why I ask.

DemonTrich

Veteran
2 of my past wax makers ran wet-trimmer trimmed trim (lol), and came out dark. none of them winterized. my last guy who ran the same strains, same trim from same hand held/crank trimmer, who winterized, my last batch of wax came our supurb. nice golden color vs the dark previous colored result.

snake11

We have seen quite a lot of metal fragments in trim from trimming machines. We ran magnets through and they looked like porcupines. Not just a one time thing either. Hand trimmed is better all around.

BigJohnny

I'm familiar with dry trimmers, just wonder if they can operate without a lubricant.

I've seen them demonstrated in various configurations, but never asked them about lubrication before their demonstration or cleaning afterwards.

A simple pair of scissors gums up under the same circumstances, is why I ask.

oh.... I can't really say then, I think they're just lubed with water or something.

I've never used one, all I know is that when I've material from a dry trimmer vs a "wet" trimmer, the dry stuff always comes out nice and the wet stuff always comes out dark and sappy and useless for anything but edible oil.

Latest posts

Latest posts