What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone use those Campden tablets to remove chlorine/chloramine from their water?

Aksala

Curious if anyone uses the tablets and if so how much of a tablet does it take for a 1 gallon container? I'm assuming just a little piece would do it but would like to hear it from a person who actually does it.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
no and why??? ...theres all kinds of ways to rid yourself of that shit...don't need any fancy tablets....yeehaw

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
toss some organic matter in there & let it sit. something like a handful of compost to a 5 gal bucket

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
vit c ascorbic acid works too...I just add some compost to my brute trash cans generally....yeehaw

Scrappy-doo

Good suggestions ^^^

No need to waste money on gimmicks. I throw in some dirt, stir, wait an hour or 2 and good to go. Chlorine/chloromines just need something organic to react to and will be neutralized. Props to microbeman for the 411.

Aksala

So I always have a full tub of premixed medium that is fully organic. I could just put a tablespoon of that into my gallon jug, shake it up and let it sit and that would make it not toxic at all to my microherd? I feel as though the water supply in my area has changed in the last year or so..could just be overthinking it but something seems to have changed.

mintz

Or just fill a bucket up with water & let it stand over night or bubble it up,just need patience.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
chloromine don't go away like chlorine and needs to be neutralized with something ...yeehaw...no fancy stuff for me..

snake11

Occasionally I have used campden tablets in brewing. 1 tab per gallon of water. All they are is a specific dose of metabisulfate in a tablet form. If I must use it in brewing I use potassium metabisulfate as it is a granular powder that disolves much easier than campden tablets.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i just bought a lb of ascorbic acid, i'm using it AND compost/organic material to get rid of chlorine in the water...

now, wasup with the CHLORAMINE? any (non filter or RO) method of getting rid of it? something "fancy"?

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
I used to used similar dechlorinating products, simply didn't make a difference for organic/natural methods, and its just added cost with no benefit that I could see.

Nowadays I just let the water sit to let it get back to room temp, takes awhile tho' I'll keep my water in a 50 gallon trash can, after a few days the smell of chlorine is much less.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
just letting water sit will remove the chlorine. same reason you don't use bleach & hot water; the bleach will evaporate & you're just using hot water

the organic material/ascorbic is the next "extra" step to eliminate chloramine