What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

OPINIONS WANTED...new to Vert, building 3 x 3 room.

311devon

I think it looks great. One idea for you to ponder for the next run is to grow the plants in front of the screen instead of thru it. You would have to use something like fuzzy pipe cleaners to anchor them to the screen, but it has a few advantages. It is less stressful on the plant...the chances of you breaking branches while training thru the screen are eliminated....branches can be moved and rearranged as you please....removing the plant for harvest is soooo much easier too.

All that being said, yours looks very good. 1st run or not. Great job.

:tiphat:

P.S. strain selection is one of the biggest issues with vert scrog. Some are perfect, some are nightmares. I have the most success with strains that are very branchy, have a nice 2x stretch or more...and makes lots of golf ball nugs. Your plants will have still have colas on top, but imo the key to getting max yeild is having a productive wall all the way down. This is where the golf ball nugs win imo. Lucky for me, my 2 favorite strains (Diesel and OG) display these do very very well in vert scrogs.

Once again Marlo nuttin but :respect: Thanks for kind words.....

Funny you mention not weaving them through the grid. I came to that conclusion about a week before flip. If you look close you can see little sections of aluminum wire jacketed in thick vinyl tying them to the grid. I wont be weaving again.

A question about your P.S. for ya.......... Do you think it is more productive to keep tying everything down, therefore promoting each node to stand on its own and inhibiting cola formation?

Any other strains you know of that are proven to stretch and branch like you recommend?
Who's Diesel do you like?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Marlo said:
use something like fuzzy pipe cleaners to anchor them to the screen

Have you thought of wire?

I usually find a good solid copper wire that's stiff but still easy to work with. Cut it into 5-7" lengths and put them in a cup within easy reach. :D

Stay Safe!

Edit: One type of wire I found VERY handy was ethernet cable.... strip off the outer layer and you have 8 tiny-skinny wires. Cut them into 5-6" lengths and untwist them... Have fun :) (usually kept them in a cup near the screen/res)

Last edited:

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have you thought of wire?

I started out using string. The thought of wire is what brought me to my fuzzy pipe cleaners. I haven't found anything more simple. They are very strong, bend into any shape, and are easily cut with my fiskars. Cheap too...bag of 50 for $.99. I usually use pieces less than 2". There are a couple hundred at work in my room.
Zero problems or complaints with them here.

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A question about your P.S. for ya.......... Do you think it is more productive to keep tying everything down, therefore promoting each node to stand on its own and inhibiting cola formation?

Any other strains you know of that are proven to stretch and branch like you recommend?
Who's Diesel do you like?

It really depends on what your plant is best at.... I just try to spread the plant out evenly. Some plants can do this with one topping, other plants need excessive training. I end up keeping the plants that branch easily and make golf ball nugs. I find it easiest to make a wall with those. Hardy stems help too.

As far as strains, I've always been a fan of Reservior's SD and Diesel hybrids. Of what's left on the bay, the SSSDH and CDSD would be great for vert scrog. Both very stinky, potent and great yeilders. On the fruitier side of the spectrum, I've had good results with Mosca's C99 and OG x BS from Spice of life also.

Last edited:

311devon

All thieves should be Beaten and Shunned!

All thieves should be Beaten and Shunned!

Well everyone, I had about 4 weeks worth of pics right up through harvey, taken on my new phone with the bad ass cam. The wife and i went out the night after xmas and some piece o shit ho askes me for a hug after chattin with her friends and lifts it outta my pocket! I thought i had lost it until i woke up the next morning and got to thinkin about things when i was sober. I can remember feeling her hand run up my leg to get it outta my pocket. Here i am thinkin im about to get some play and got played. Needless to say all pics were lost. yeah i know, get em of the phone as soon as ya take em........

Here's a couple shots of the final product.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

311devon

The End Result

The End Result

My apologies to everyone who followed this thread only to be let down in the end. It's like coming to the end of a long drawn out joke and the guy telling it forgets the punch line....Here's my attempt at a punch line.

My inexperience with carbon filters cost me alot on this run. I totally spaced off checking and cleaning the prefilter on it. Its tucked up nearly outta sight and i just didnt even think about it. Around the same time it clogged enough to matter, i relocated my temp sensor to a much lower height in the room(i had some stupid ass good reason for this at the time). The filter kept my fan from cooling enough and the sensor relocation kept me from realizing how hot it was getting. This combined with my inexperience with large pots of coco caused me to under water them just enough to keep em progressing yet concentrating the ferts and therefore overfeeding them OR they were chronically dry for long enough to dry the edges and produce leaf curl that mimicked overfeeding. Either way, looking back on it i didnt water them enough. Such a newb mistake....and ive been gardening since the early 80's! Just goes to show what happens when you introduce too many variables at once. I totally changed my style of growing from mirco sog to full scale Vscrog,changed light source, started a new room, and modified a proven nute program.

Total Yield was not measured. It was around 4oz. The nugs are a touch airy. This strain is kinda prone to that anyway though. The smoke is still good and potent and flavorful. The high is true to form in my exp. Well balanced between high and stoned. Very little couchlock yet nice and mellow and relaxing. It beats the pants of anything on the street in my neck of the woods at twice the price.

A new run has been started. The bases have been cut down and one row of grid cut off. This allows the girls to cozy up the the bulb a lil more and lets me get the bases in and out much easier. Also increased my media volume drastically by having my wife sew up some DIY smart pots. i think they are around 10-12 gallons each. Got a couple other things brewing im keeping under wraps for now.

Should I start a new thread or continue this one?
Modifications have been made to make watering, pruning and training easier. After loosing at least 75% of potential yeild, blumats are a no-brainer. A $70 patio kit will easily do the job.

Latest posts

Latest posts