What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need Tray for Drainage to put under Smart Pots

HazePhase

Hello,

I'm using 18" diameter - 15gallon smart pots.
I went ahead and bought 20" circular trays below it to catch the water but found out I will need 22 if not 24 or larger especially since 2 of my 6 plants will be going into a 20 gallon smart pot.

Would anyone know an inexpensive tray or anything I could use that would fit.
I am in a 5x5 grow tent that will have 6 plants for Veg and then when flower time I will be moving two of the 6 into a 2x4 for veg and cloning so will only have 4 plants in 15 gallon containers in my 5x5.

I looked online and found oil pan trays that are $100 so $400 --- don't think so.
If anyone can help that would be great.
Oh and i am in Canada so Home Depot had the perfect tray but not in Canada....

Thank you!!

Attachments

• Smart Pot.jpg
    Smart Pot.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 9

OldPhart

I second the DIY approach, you are trying to find something so specific that I doubt that you will find exactly what you want. I have used everything from panda poly and cut down card board boxes, to shower curtains and lumber. It doesn't have to be high tech or pretty, to be highly effective.

C

chris harris

I'm in Canada too. Check out Dollar store. I have bought baking pans ( thin tin pans) from them, various sizes, cheap, $1-$3.

troutman

Seed Whore
I think putting a nice 1 1/2" layer of river washed gravel under the pots would allow proper drainage.
This way the water in your trays could be allowed to get 1" deep before the pots would soak in it.

:tiphat:

HazePhase

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Hello,

I'm using 18" diameter - 15gallon smart pots.
I went ahead and bought 20" circular trays below it to catch the water but found out I will need 22 if not 24 or larger especially since 2 of my 6 plants will be going into a 20 gallon smart pot.

Would anyone know an inexpensive tray or anything I could use that would fit.
I am in a 5x5 grow tent that will have 6 plants for Veg and then when flower time I will be moving two of the 6 into a 2x4 for veg and cloning so will only have 4 plants in 15 gallon containers in my 5x5.

I looked online and found oil pan trays that are $100 so $400 --- don't think so.
If anyone can help that would be great.
Oh and i am in Canada so Home Depot had the perfect tray but not in Canada....

Thank you!!

kiddie pools? or if you can get ac condensate pans

queequeg152

Veteran
ac condensate pans tend to be fairly expensive because most are designed to handle the load of a horizontal air handler... i mean if you look at the "golaith" pans made by rector seal you will see the extreeme end of what i am talking about.

i second the water heater pan idea... you can get large square ones at HD for like 18 bucks. i think they also work for washing machines, so that should give you an idea of size.

they are only 1" deep though. beyond that... you could always get a flood tray.