What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Laser eye surgery

Anyone ever think about getting it? anyone get it done? what was your experience? I'm thinking about going through with it. I've read a bunch more on reddit and other places just thought i would see what the old icmag community had to say about this.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Xl2FG8B.gif

personally, I've got only one good eye,
so I can't risk any kind of laser surgery.

growsjoe1

Premium user
Veteran
Anyone ever think about getting it? anyone get it done? what was your experience? I'm thinking about going through with it. I've read a bunch more on reddit and other places just thought i would see what the old icmag community had to say about this.

I've had it done. I now, don't have to wear glasses anymore. So for me, a big deal and I had a great experience with the surgery.

One of my friends had his cataracts (eyes so bad he would close one eye to drive) done. I'm no longer afraid to let him drive when we head out some place. He still has to wear glasses as he didn't get the corrective surgery, just his cataracts done, but he also had a good, painless experience.

Laser eye surgery has become very routine. Painless and the rate of success very very high. I say if you have the need and the proper insurance, as it can be expensive, definitely give it some serious consideration.

It has changed the way I live my life, literally. One of the best choices I have made in the last few years.

peace joe

Do they say you'll regret it on reddit?

Not really for the most part people seem to be very satisfied. There are some negative ones to like people say they see halo's at night when they have on coming headlights pointed at then. One person even said they were have such extreme dry eye that if they could go back in time they would never have the surgery. But for the most part people are much like the guy above^ comments like "best money i ever spent."

Thanks for the replies wasn't sure if i would get any.

Juan Budd

Not really for the most part people seem to be very satisfied. There are some negative ones to like people say they see halo's at night when they have on coming headlights pointed at then. One person even said they were have such extreme dry eye that if they could go back in time they would never have the surgery. But for the most part people are much like the guy above^ comments like "best money i ever spent."

Thanks for the replies wasn't sure if i would get any.

Hi there Weed, my eyes are fine (except my arms getting a little short as I get old) but Mrs Budd had laser surgery to both eyes here in the UK - having had very poor vision. She experienced minor pain for a short while after and some discomfort for a few weeks. Ongoing she has experienced a very slight interference of vision at night but otherwise she is absolutely over the moon at the difference it has made to her life. She would definitely recommend it. JB.

St. Phatty

I started working in the industry as a design engineer in 1992.

I have witnessed falsified clinical trials -
where a patient was crippled by the surgery,
and had their bad result removed from the trial results.

Another data point -
Dr. Murray Waxler, Director of the Ophthalmic Devices Panel at the FDA, upon his retirement, created this website -

http://www.HelpStopLASIK.com/

Another data point -
talking to the injured patients at the Facebook group named
LASIK Complications (the group includes patients who have had every permutation of Laser Eye Surgery).

It's an industry that survives

ONLY by sweeping bad results under the rug,
and pretending they don't exist.

data point in England -
English woman named Sasha Rodoy -
her website is "Optical Express Ruined my Life" -
http://www.opticalexpressruinedmylife.co.uk/

The general presumption that the industry sells,
is that human corneas heal similarly to other human tissue.

It does not.

That's why they can lift the LASIK flap many years after the original surgery.

If you want to witness the censorship that exists on the subject,
gain access to the Facebook group, or email with the OERML lady,
and then write a one-liner about it at Wikipedia.

See what happens to your Wikipedia post.

ChinggisKhaan

I started working in the industry in 1992.

Things have changed quite a bit since then. I've been using glasses since the 5th grade, I'm 55 now and use progressive trifocals. I don't think that I qualify as a good candidate for the procedure.

Just as well for me, I need my glasses to see at all and 48+ years of using a pair I have grown accustom to the eye protection daily wear provides. More than twice I have deeply gouged my lens. If not there I would have lost an eye.

If your young and don't need trifocals, go for it it's tried and true at this point. Don't skimp with the budget either. You only got the two eyes so due diligence and top of the line equipment is a must.

:tiphat:

St. Phatty

If your young and don't need trifocals, go for it it's tried and true at this point.

How could it be "tried and true" when people are still being literally disabled by it ?

As they describe it, they find themselves living with constant eye pain for which the industry has no cure - from surgeries in the 2010's.

The industry was actually more honest in 1992.

One of the other parts of the industry that is not often discussed is the "World Wide Web sort of Public Relations" team.

Literally, a group of people that get paid and got paid to attack injured patients who chose to speak out.

I met a few friends from the pool of injured patients I was exposed to. 2 of them spent about 5 years engaged in a civil lawsuit with one of the industry's World Wide Web hit men/ PR managers.

Interesting St. Phatty thank you for your expertise. Are you still working in the industry? I have a rather normal imo -2.25 prescription. Do you think there is a large risk for some one like myself with pretty much normal eyes. Good to know I've been seeing mostly positive reviews because most of the negative stuff has been buried. I'm looking at the custom wave front blade less surgery. This is the most advanced the clinic offers with a lifetime 20/20 guarantee. Could you give me further insight you seem to have a wealth of knowledge on the subject. Thank you all who respond K++

growsjoe1

Premium user
Veteran
Of couse there is 'some risk' much like any surgery. 96% success ratio is pretty good.

The reason that ratio isn't higher is that some people are better candidates for the procedure than others. Those not well suited, for whatever reason can still choose to go thru it knowing they have a much lower rate of success but because their eyes are so bad choose to go thru it anyway at a 'shot' at seeing better...You will be given many tests to qualify as a candidate. The least of which is a stable(one year) prescription.

Your doctor should be able to tell you what to expect and how well, or not your ability to have a good outcome is.

Recent data has documented that the complication rate (poorer night vision, Halos, dry eye)with LASIK is less than 1% of all procedures performed and most patients who experience LASIK complications can receive a retreatment or enhancement.

Don't skip on price. In the US bladeless cost about 2200-2500 an eye. At least that's range of what I paid. There are other lower costing procedures equaling 2-300$ per eye savings. Do your home work to see which is the best fit.

Evaluate your rick factor(s), just like you would in all things that have the possibility to harm you.

Are there horror stories, yes. But barring the 'sweeping results under the rug' they are a very small number compared to the successful outcomes.

Gmack

Had it done in 2008. Still have better then 20/20 vision. Side effects after surgery were very sensitive to light while driving at night for a year. And very itchy eyes for a week after. Best way to describe it would be sand in the eye feeling and of course you can't scratch them! Eye drops helped a lot. Best money I've every put on the visa. If you can afford to get them done do some research and find out who's the best/most practiced surgeon in your area. Don't cheap out! Go with the best this is your eyesight. Even the best have complications but their rates of how often they happen are far lower and they are practiced at fixing those complications if need be. The older you are the longer it will take for you to heal. Good luck

Floridian

Veteran
Not everyone can use contact lenses.I hope everyone that needs this can afford this unbelievable leap in medical technology.I only know from second hand experience how fucking life changing it really can be.I've been lucky myself,needing to start using reading glasses right on cue at 42 or 43,I feel for younger people that can't see well.

Juan Budd

Not everyone can use contact lenses.I hope everyone that needs this can afford this unbelievable leap in medical technology.I only know from second hand experience how fucking life changing it really can be.I've been lucky myself,needing to start using reading glasses right on cue at 42 or 43,I feel for younger people that can't see well.

Mrs Budd has always loved swimming, but it's only since her surgery that she's been able to see whilst doing it - you can't wear your contact lenses in the swimming pool (no matter how good you are at putting them in). Quite right Floridian, it's changed her life hugely - the swimming is just one example. She was very lucky to get a good discount by waiting until someone cancelled out of their operation at short notice, we could never have afforded it otherwise.