What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Philippines president calls for drug addicts to be killed

VonBudí

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ
Veteran
a nice piece of land the owner refused to sell to you at a cheap price.

worked great in iraq and Afghanistan too:biggrin:

wonder if Rodrigos antics helped inspire Erdogan

picture.php

Hoypare.

using extreme tactics by turning Davo city from the murder capital to one of the safest places in the PI... This is an observation, not an endorsement.

A lot of people repeat that old chestnut Dabaw is one of the safest places in pinas,i have had a house there for around 25 years,i am there often,i remember the old wild west days,nowadays is it really one of the safest places in the country?Nope,still murders,still thefts,still gang rapes,thats my observation.How can he clean up a country when he hasnt thoroughly cleansed dabaw,its a fragmented feudal country thats not going to be run properly in his lifetime,he is picking on soft targets,tricycle drivers selling a bit of shabu,phone snatchers being shot and dumped by the DDS,its smoke and mirrors,the real crooks are everyone from barangay captains up,they are scamming and skimming as much as possible while the going is good,thats my 2 centavos worth,i have visited the country loads,lived there a few times,its not a forward thinking country,its stuck because of the amount of corruption.

Hoypare.

I just phoned pinas,there was 2 shootings in ma-a in davao yesterday,one of the safest places in the PI?Check out the murder stats including "salvage" as dumped bodies are known locally.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
A lot of people repeat that old chestnut Dabaw is one of the safest places in pinas,i have had a house there for around 25 years,i am there often,i remember the old wild west days,nowadays is it really one of the safest places in the country?Nope,still murders,still thefts,still gang rapes,thats my observation.How can he clean up a country when he hasnt thoroughly cleansed dabaw,its a fragmented feudal country thats not going to be run properly in his lifetime,he is picking on soft targets,tricycle drivers selling a bit of shabu,phone snatchers being shot and dumped by the DDS,its smoke and mirrors,the real crooks are everyone from barangay captains up,they are scamming and skimming as much as possible while the going is good,thats my 2 centavos worth,i have visited the country loads,lived there a few times,its not a forward thinking country,its stuck because of the amount of corruption.

Duh.. its the PI.. I still expect some level of crime, and of course there will be some corruption... par for the course.

But totally agree with you with corruption.. Its wrecking the country.

Hoypare.

No need for duh you sanctamonious prick,do some research,the murder rate isnt lower than PI cities,thats from personal observation,and having rlatives in the police farce (freudian slip).

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/bloodbath-manila-hundreds-drug-pushers-hunted-down-by-death-squads-1573041

Lying in the middle of the road, Jennelyn Olaires hugs the dead body of her partner, refusing to let him go. By the time the forensic team reaches the area, there are already TV cameramen filming the scene, their powerful lights beaming down on Olaires.

Michael Siaron, 30, was waiting for passengers when he was gunned down after midnight by unknown men riding a motorbike in Pasay, close to one of Manila's busiest highways, famous for its 24-hour traffic. Near his body, a note reads: "I am a pusher, don't follow."

"Michael has been using drugs for one year but never was a dealer", Olaires screams at the cameras, her partner's blood still on her face.

The scene was a short ride for the reporters coming from another crime scene, also in Pasay, where unidentified suspect #91 was killed by unknown hit-men. The victim was found dead on the ground with a long streak of blood and a sign tagging him as a drug pusher and thief.

Hundreds have been killed in drug-related incidents since Rodrigo Duterte was elected president of the Philippines, almost two months ago. Meanwhile 120,000 reported drug offenders voluntarily surrendered to the police force. So far Duterte enjoys the highest trust rate in Philippine history.

Extrajudicial killings are not new to the Philippines; this is how media has been documenting casualties of the drug war, updating a "kill list".

That night, the body count started at 9.30 pm, witnessed by reporters stationed at Manila central police station. The group got the first call only a few minutes after coming on duty. Redentor Manalang, 50, had just been murdered by unknown hit-men, while driving his tricycle. An epitaph was left behind : "don't emulate me".

"One week ago, we had 18 dead, that was a very long night", says Patrick Adalin, a photographer for the local tabloid Abante. "Due to all ongoing operations, something is happening every single night."

"We are many more journalists than before", added Noche Cacas, working the graveyard shift for one year now. Cacas uses a talkie-walkie to do live reports for DZRH, a local radio station.

Based on official police data and local news reports, there has been on average 10 killed daily in drug-related incidents all over the country. As of 25 July, the death toll since 10 May – a day after Rodrigo Duterte was elected – has reached 430 according to The Daily Inquirer, 579 according to TV news channel ABS-CBN.

Of the 579 there were 377 killed by the police, 154 by vigilante groups and 48 victims of "salvage". Most of the time, salvage means wrapped in plastic and dumped.

"That death toll dwarfs the 68 killings of suspects that police recorded during anti-drug operations between January 1 and June 15", wrote Phelim Kine, Asia deputy director of Human Rights Watch. The police denied accusations of extrajudicial killings and said suspects ended up dead because they resisted arrest or fought back.

Since the beginning of the anti-drug campaign, 3,600 drugs offenders have been arrested and 120,000 reported drug offenders voluntarily surrendered, including 7,000 pushers.

Officials claimed a positive effect on petty crimes and have even dubbed the phenomenon "the Duterte effect". Crime has decreased by 13% since Duterte won the presidency, according to the government, while petty crime - including bag-snatching at tourist areas - has also dropped significantly, the Philippines' presidential communications office claimed.

Yet concerns rise over the surge in killings of mostly poor people. The Commission on Human Rights recently launched a test probe on 103 cases, including 33 drug-related killings during a police operation. Enshrined in the country's constitution, the independent CHR looked into the summary killings associated with the "Davao Death Squad" linked to Rodrigo Duterte, when he was still the mayor of the southern city. No clear evidence of his responsibility was revealed.

"The problem with this kind of killing is, we would never know who is more deserving to be killed, this pedicab driver even assuming he is a drug pusher or the persons who killed him. Worst, those who are killed die with their names tarnished as a drug pusher or a criminal. Never mind if it is true, but what if it is not true?" said one critic, Noly Sosteza, on Facebook.

In his first state of the nation address on Monday (25 July), President Rodrigo Duterte compared the photo to Michelangelo's Pieta : "And you are portrayed in a broadsheet like Mother Mary cradling the dead cadaver of Jesus Christ. To those who have done so, you are dramatising her."

Duterte said pushers should only blame themselves for being slain for their activities. Last month, he named publicly top drug dealers among high-ranking officials, forcing them to resign.

So far President Duterte enjoys the highest trust rate (91%) in the archipelago's history, according to the latest poll released by Pulse Asia. For most Filipinos, the new administration should prioritise economic issues, including antipoverty programs. The immediate address of criminality comes second (48% of surveyed).

An estimated of 1.3 million Filipinos are drug users and more than 99% of Metro Manila barangays (the smallest administrative division) are affected, according to the Dangerous Drugs Board. Metamphetamine or "shabu" is the drug of choice, imported by foreign cartels, now produced locally. It is also considered one of the most addictive substances.

"There will not be a let-up in this campaign against illegal drugs, promised Duterte during his speech to the Congress. "We will not stop until the last drug lord, the last financier, or the last pusher is put behind bars or below the ground if they so wish."

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
"police denied accusations of extrajudicial killings and said suspects ended up dead because they resisted arrest or fought back."

Sounds a lot like what's happening right here in the good ole USA...............

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i have to wonder...how many of these are really hard drug dealers, & how many of those killed are just targets of opportunity where someone bearing a grudge saw a chance to "get even" so to speak...

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
i have to wonder...how many of these are really hard drug dealers, & how many of those killed are just targets of opportunity where someone bearing a grudge saw a chance to "get even" so to speak...

they don't seem to hunt down terrorists in any part of the world with this type of aggression or efficiency

drug dealers / users deserve genocide?

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
Many years ago I was chased down by a mob of vigilantes in Subic City.

I read just before landing that the PI had a tough drug policy. As I say, this was several years ago. I was still going to smoke, just figured you had to be careful. Just pot, right?

So when we get to Subic City you see ladies on the balconies of the bars in pretty dresses and flowers, waving to you. The thing to always do is make friends with one of the ladies and let her score you some weed. That is what my friend Jamie and I did.

So we are drinking in a bar with these ladies, having some laughs, listening to loud rock music on the jukebox and getting a bit of a beer buzz. Beer was like 25 cents for a bottle, so we are buying rounds for the house, buying all kinds of stuff and giving kids money and candy that were hanging around. In other words, we were not being careful.

So after a pretty good buzz my buddy Jamie and I go to the water and smoke a joint. About the time we sucked down the end of that fucking Bahgio bud (spelling) the stuff was like old school Thai stick. I look behind me and there must have been 20 of these little fuckers coming at us with their arms apart like they are going to grab us. I am not a small guy at all, but I didn't want to fight twenty of them so I hauled ass. Jamie just held his ground and put up his dukes, ready to fight the first man that tried to grab him.

I ran and ran back into town. I looked behind me to see a pyramid of people chasing me on bikes, trikes and running. It was insane. I some how ended up sucking down that roach in all the confusion.

I thought I would run back into that bar I was in and double back or something. Once I get in all those ladies and kids were blocking my way to the back door and I was trapped.

A an old guy like 50 comes up to me and asks me where the marijuana is at. I said I had no idea what he was talking about. He told me to open my mouth and so I did. He looked and must have seen ashes on my toungue, and said, "You ate it".

One of the girls gave me something to drink and I just washed it away. I turn around and the guy is gone.

I am just sitting there tripping and shaking. That was some good weed. Jamie comes in the bar with some dumb look on his face asking me how I was and so on. Apparently the old guy said to the group covering Jamie that the "American Friend" ate the evidence. I am not American and I was generally speaking Spanish to them the whole time. Whatever the case, the old guy told Jamie to go back to town and have a good time.

The girls told us they were just opportunist trying to shake us down for whatever money we had. They are very poor, and not even cops (although one of them did have some kind of badge). I guess you could buy your way out of anything in those days. Not sure if it is the same now. If so the price just went up is all. But the cops are as buyable as any of the people on the streets. They are all very poor.

Slim Pickens

Veteran

That happens a lot I believe.It doesn't have to be drug related,some people here use it as act of revenge or whatever.Not only that,but some of the low level dealers and users are being killed by the the Politicians and high ranking cops who are involved in the drug trade, as a means of silencing those who might turn on them.

[YOUTUBEIF]ELMb_xROf0w[/YOUTUBEIF]

Last edited:

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
New article came out where is is quoted as killing suspects before they where brought to trial and patrolling the streets looking for a confrontation he could escalate so he could murder someone

sounds like a white cop in black america

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-38311655

is the first such admission he has made since becoming president in June, but echoes comments he made in 2015.He ran the southern city for two decades, earning a reputation for cutting crime, and criticism for allegedly supporting death squads.
Mr Duterte was speaking to business leaders at the presidential palace on Monday, before an overseas trip.
It is the latest in a series of controversial and sometimes contradictory comments by Mr Duterte.
'Blood on his hands'

"In Davao I used to do it personally. Just to show to the guys [police] that if I can do it why can't you," he said.
"And I'd go around in Davao with a motorcycle, with a big bike around, and I would just patrol the streets, looking for trouble also. I was really looking for a confrontation so I could kill."
In 2015, he admitted killing at least three men suspected of kidnapping and rape in Davao.
The comments have been condemned by human rights group Amnesty International, which has called on him to put an immediate end to the killings.
"The climate of impunity in the Philippines has intensified even further since President Duterte began his brutal crackdown on suspected drug users and dealers in July, with a wave of unlawful killings claiming more than 5,000 lives across the country," said Rafendi Djamin, the group's director for South East Asia and the Pacific.
"By boasting about the blood on his own hands, President Duterte will further embolden police and vigilantes to blatantly violate laws and carry out more extrajudicial executions without fear of being held to account."
Image copyright EPA Image caption Mr Duterte made the speech before leaving the country for visits to Cambodia and Singapore But just hours before Mr Duterte's latest remarks, he insisted "I am not a killer", in a speech for The Outstanding Filipino Awards 2016. He has also previously both acknowledged and denied being involved with death squads.
In September a Senate inquiry heard testimony from a self-confessed former death squad member that Mr Duterte had, while serving as Davao mayor, shot dead a justice department agent with an Uzi submachine gun.
Nearly 6,000 people are said to have been killed by police, vigilantes and mercenaries since Mr Duterte launched his drug war after being elected in May. He has expressed few regrets about the policy, once saying: "Hitler massacred three million Jews... There's three million drug addicts. I'd be happy to slaughter them."
Mr Duterte has repeatedly said he does not care about human rights and has suggested that lawyers defending drug suspects might also be targeted in his campaign, says the BBC's Jonathan Head.
Some human rights lawyers believe the outspoken president's open support for a shoot-to-kill policy by the police could make him vulnerable to prosecution for crimes against humanity at the international court.