What's new

CBC Exclusive : Legalization legislation to be tabled week of April 10

junglestrikeguy

the goods on legalization:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberal-legal-marijuana-pot-1.4041902

The Liberal government will announce legislation next month that will legalize marijuana in Canada by July 1, 2018.

CBC News has learned that the legislation will be announced during the week of April 10 and will broadly follow the recommendation of a federally appointed task force that was chaired by former liberal Justice Minister Anne McLellan.

Bill Blair, the former Toronto police chief who has been stickhandling the marijuana file for the government, briefed the Liberal caucus on the roll-out plan and the legislation during caucus meetings this weekend.

The federal government will be in charge of making sure the country's marijuana supply is safe and secure and Ottawa will license producers.

But the provinces will have the right to decide how the marijuana is distributed and sold. Provincial governments will also have the right to set price.

While Ottawa will set a minimum age of 18 to buy marijuana, the provinces will have the option of setting a higher age limit if they wish.

As for Canadians who want to grow their own marijuana, they will be limited to four plants per household.

Legalizing marijuana was one of the more controversial promises Justin Trudeau made as he campaigned to become prime minister.

But in their platform the Liberals said it was necessary to "legalize, regulate and restrict access to marijuana" in order to keep drugs "out of the hands of children, and the profits out of the hands of criminals."

The Liberals had promised to introduce legislation by the Spring of 2017. Announcing the legislation the week of April 10 will allow the party to hit that deadline.

Trudeau referred again to that rough timetable a few weeks ago when he said the legislation would be introduced before the summer. But at the same time he also warned that it wasn't yet open season for the legal sale of marijuana.

"Until we have a framework to control and regulate marijuana, the current laws apply," Trudeau said in Halifax March 1.

That warning became more concrete a week later, when police in Toronto, Vancouver and other cities carried out raids on marijuana dispensaries and charged several people with possession and trafficking, including noted pot advocates Marc and Jodi Emery.

Trudeau's promise to legalize marijuana was seen as one of the reasons for the Liberals' strong showing among youth voters in the 2015 election.

But at the NDP's leadership debate in Montreal Sunday, which was focused on youth issues, several of the candidates pointed to marijuana legislation as an example of a broken Liberal promise.

"I do not believe Justin Trudeau is going to bring in the legalization of marijuana and as proof that ... we are still seeing, particularly young, Canadians being criminalized by simple possession of marijuana," said B.C. MP Peter Julian.

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
Don't get too happy, those plants are going to have to be shorter than 100 cm most likely! :rolleyes:

You can grow enough to feed your head if you smoke a bong a day, otherwise recreational users will be buying from HC Licensed Producers.

HiFiGanja

Don't get too happy, those plants are going to have to be shorter than 100 cm most likely! :rolleyes:

You can grow enough to feed your head if you smoke a bong a day, otherwise recreational users will be buying from HC Licensed Producers.

There will be people who will take the risk to pre vegging plants for others. 4 properly vegged plants for 8 weeks can still pull an LB.

In reality how many people will actually grow? I can't see too many waiting 4 months for a crop if they veg themselves although having really exotic strains that no store has will keep the black market going.

Same as with growing vegetables. Only those dedicated to growing plants and wanting fresh veggies in summer do it but that like one out of 100 homes.

You also have to realize just because it legal doesn't mean all of a sudden those who never smoked will start smoking every day.

Limeygreen

Veteran
100 cm tall but 500 cm wide. I guess they don't seem to have a problem if someone were to run 10000 watts for personal.

blastfrompast

Veteran
Will it be 100cm outdoors (if allowed at all). And will there be provisions for smell complaints etc. etc.

Also I bet you will require your landlords permission...especially for rec.

troutman

Seed Whore
I bet we'll see lots of people doing this:

"Hey MOM, keep these 4 plants happy for me and I'll pick them up in 4 month." :laughing:

Rider420

LOL yup only 4 plants, its so much better now with the mandatory six month minimum sentence for five or more plants eh.

I bet you might even get a fine for growing less then 20 but we shall see.

HiFiGanja

Sucks they won't allow craft. Is there anything we can do to fight for this?

I think there might be craft as it was mentioned in an interview a few weeks ago but sales wise since they are allowing provinces to set who can sell BC and Ontario will be liquor stores :(

Jonny Lan

I think there might be craft as it was mentioned in an interview a few weeks ago but sales wise since they are allowing provinces to set who can sell BC and Ontario will be liquor stores :(
That's pretty shitty. I wonder if there is anything we can do?

the task force report i read said they were well aware there would be sharing among family and friends but do not condone distribution for profit on any level unless your are an LP.

Also reading the task force report those 4 plants are a maximum of 100cmx100cmx100cm. That would mean fairly large plants but not extreme in my opinon(everyone has a different definition of large plant). But now the real questions really are: What are the penalties for breaking plant count? How will they go about stopping people from breaking plant counts? What are penalties for not registering your grow? How can they bust people who don't comply? The task force report did not mention or i may have missed it penalties for people that break rules.

It really is a crazy time we are living in. To watch a major illegal cash crop turn into a oversupplied legal recreational market. Prices are plummeting, it is a race to the bottom for all the large guys but at the end of it will we be better off? I hope so, and think so.

I would love to see the plant count raised. it does seem a tad stingy i could get down with 10 plants. I mean I know thew government wants to make tax dollars but 4 plants? I guess there will be a great market opportunity. Clones, home growers won't be keeping mothers if they are sticking to guidelines. which should help cannabis really come out of the shadow breeder to mainstream real genetics testing ect. it will be nice to finally be able to get any legendary clone you wish with no risk. Seed game to might get really flooded with cheap quality genetics too. No more 100$ for 15 seeds. just some things this recent news has got me thinking about.

OGEvilgenius

Veteran
I remain of the position the government just needs to fuck off and get out of the way for best results.

Of course this won't happen.

Jonny Lan

the task force report i read said they were well aware there would be sharing among family and friends but do not condone distribution for profit on any level unless your are an LP.

Also reading the task force report those 4 plants are a maximum of 100cmx100cmx100cm. That would mean fairly large plants but not extreme in my opinon(everyone has a different definition of large plant). But now the real questions really are: What are the penalties for breaking plant count? How will they go about stopping people from breaking plant counts? What are penalties for not registering your grow? How can they bust people who don't comply? The task force report did not mention or i may have missed it penalties for people that break rules.

It really is a crazy time we are living in. To watch a major illegal cash crop turn into a oversupplied legal recreational market. Prices are plummeting, it is a race to the bottom for all the large guys but at the end of it will we be better off? I hope so, and think so.

I would love to see the plant count raised. it does seem a tad stingy i could get down with 10 plants. I mean I know thew government wants to make tax dollars but 4 plants? I guess there will be a great market opportunity. Clones, home growers won't be keeping mothers if they are sticking to guidelines. which should help cannabis really come out of the shadow breeder to mainstream real genetics testing ect. it will be nice to finally be able to get any legendary clone you wish with no risk. Seed game to might get really flooded with cheap quality genetics too. No more 100$ for 15 seeds. just some things this recent news has got me thinking about.
You don't think tax will increase the price of cannabis?

HiFiGanja

You don't think tax will increase the price of cannabis?

Of course it will. The gov is full of shit.

They say they want to remove the profit from criminals.

Then they said it wasn't about tax money lmfao. How can it not be about money since you already said you want to take the profits from the criminals.

If cigarettes werent a tax money cash cow they would have done away with them already considering how many people die from smoking.

The gov complains about drinking and driving yet they love the tax and the the municipalities love the extra cash from tickets and driving suspensions.

Now the provinces will set their own price and with BC Private Liquor Store Association wanting to be the only outlet for weed they sure as hell will get the money they want and BC will tax it hard.

Last edited:

Limeygreen

Veteran
if they retail it around 5-6 dollars a gramme tax included and have a good quality then that would take away the want to do black market for the risk factor, if it is too close to current prices and/or quality is poor then who will really want to buy it and you will keep the black market stronger and probably increase the profit for those growing and selling in such a market, more risk = more cash.

HiFiGanja

if they retail it around 5-6 dollars a gramme tax included and have a good quality then that would take away the want to do black market for the risk factor, if it is too close to current prices and/or quality is poor then who will really want to buy it and you will keep the black market stronger and probably increase the profit for those growing and selling in such a market, more risk = more cash.

At $5 it would do damage but that's still $140 per oz. Someone growing at home can still get $1600 @ $100 per oz or $1400 @$87.5 per oz.

As for the risk well look at the US, people went to jail for years for small grows yet they still grew.

The provinces seen the cash cow in some of the US states and I'm thinking they're going to push for $10-15 per gram. You're talking about politicians and budgets with a possible fat cash cow standing in front of them.