What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

water polymers guerilla growers savior? (retaining moisture)

Driwater is not the same as water crystalls, i think its made of 98% potatoes and 2% water or somthin like that, its more healthy then water crystalls.

I just bought some from water crystals .com and they seem really great.

However I also just got a gardening catalog that has some from Soil Moist and they say "not for use with food plants"

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&cat=2,51603,51561&p=51561

The Soil Moist website doesn't say that though, it even mentions vegetables....

http://www.soilmoist.com/soilhome.html

"Ideal for Containers, Baskets, Gardens, Vegetables, Turf and Trees"

It also says they are "effective in the soil for 3 to 5 years"

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Peace

G

I saw at the grocery store a huge jug of Tidy Cats Crystals, same stuff, polyacrylamide, so it should work. Cost like 5 dollars for the jug. Any thoughts on this? I saw it at Wegmans, but haven't seen this exact brand at many local stores. It's considered a "premium" litter/litter additive. I think I remember it at Petsmart the last time I was in there.

I'd buy it for my plants, but the cat goes in the cheapest crap sand we can find.

My sister worked in a lab years ago, she brought me a bag of this stuff to play with, hadn't heard of using it for plants at that point. Also, I just remembered that a dinner that I just went to had this stuff used as centerpieces, a clear glass container, these crystals, food coloring, and a small candle on top. I just want to avoid the whole "let's re-brand a worthless commodity as a specialty product and make millions" act, like using molasses and calling it "Sooper Xtreme Carbo Bud Sweller" and such.

later, flip.

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
I'm curious if the Tidy Cats version (if it is the same thing) is any cheaper. I've used Soil Moist from Wally World in the past... like 1/2 lb. for $9 or so... but this year I purchased 1 lb. from watercrystals.com for $11 shipped.

How much is the kitty version?

G

Petsmart- $16.99 for 8 pounds. Might find smaller jugs or the big one for cheaper somewhere. But no shipping if you buy it local, and certainly no association with cannabis at all.

I've gotta go there soon anyway, will pick up a jug and test it. At worst, Samwise Ganja the cat will have kickass litter for a while.
:wave:

I'm going to check them out at Petsmart, that sounds alot better 8 pounds for 16.99, I totally agree on the whole "let's re-brand a worthless commodity as a specialty product and make millions". That reminds me I need to stop by the grocery store baking aisle for some more of that Brer Rabbit "Sooper Xtreme Carbo Bud Sweller (now with Micronutrients!)". :yes:

Last edited:

DimeBag65

You will not be forgotten
Veteran
iv seen that its used in cat litter and such, they have full containers of just the crystals?

i think id just stick with the ones off these websites, cheaper and can cover more area, depending on how large of plants or space of the plots being used.

those ones in the store might be convenient for some though to start up this season.

G

DimeBag65 said:
iv seen that its used in cat litter and such, they have full containers of just the crystals?

i think id just stick with the ones off these websites, cheaper and can cover more area, depending on how large of plants or space of the plots being used.

those ones in the store might be convenient for some though to start up this season.

How is 9 bucks a pound cheaper than 17 for 8 pounds? And how can it cover more area? I think I missed something- I only slept through part of math class!

Tidy Cats Crystals is entirely crystals, nothing else. I've not tested them to make sure they hold as much water, but it's the same material as all the "official" plant products.

The only issue with the Tidy Cats I can see is that they may be sodium based instead of potassium. I bought the potassium based crystals to avoid too much sodium as advised by one of the earlier posters to this thread.

DimeBag65

Veteran
guess i didnt read very closely there FlipMode, thanks for the clarification there.

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
I'm not saying they shouldn't be used, but yesterday I spent 30 minutes looking all over the internet for info that would confirm their use in soil, or that they're the same thing as Soil Moist, etc., and couldn't find anything.

I did find an industrial website that listed the various types of polyacrylamides, and there are dozens. I'm no chemist, but it seems like "polyacrylamide" is a term describing a rather broad range of things... more like a way that materials are bound together or processedrather than a description of what the specific polyacrylamide is actually composed of.

At any rate, my "research" was inconclusive enough that I think I'll stick with watercrystals.com for now. I'm using 50-60 gallons of soil mix this season and yet I only had to spend about $15 on water crystals. Saving a few bucks isn't a concern.

If you run across any info confirming the cat litter crystals' use in gardening, let us know. It would certainly be nice to run down to the local pet store instead of mail ordering OR having to spend money at Whore Mart.

Dig

Last edited:

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
I personally wouldn't mess around with kitty litter, purpose made crystals can be had for reasonable prices.

badmf

I totally agree with BC here. All crystals are not the same, its like buying MG cause its cheaper than a specific fert for this plant. Don't save here, you'll pay with a crap crop in the long run, 4-5#'s of the real thing is usually $25-30 with shipping. Most of you aren't going to need that much for a few plants anyway.
Flyin'H; don't get pulled in by Driwaters ads, I've used polymers for years now as have many others and there is no, absolutely no reason to pay for another type, pre-mixed.
Bottom line polymer works. As mentioned avoiding sodium based is better.

badmf

Walker just to allay(sp?) your concerns even if someone "saw" polymer they first wouldn't know what it was and secondly many legit purposes exist. Glad you have a good polymer. Take a teaspoon and put it in a container add water and be amazed at the large gel pack it will make!

Skully

Thanks badmf :respect: I`ve read a lot of your posts and they have helped me in many ways . I hope I can do the same for others one day .

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
badmf said:
Walker just to allay(sp?) your concerns even if someone "saw" polymer they first wouldn't know what it was and secondly many legit purposes exist. Glad you have a good polymer. Take a teaspoon and put it in a container add water and be amazed at the large gel pack it will make!

That's very true. In fact, in all the reading you guys have prompted me to do lately about crystals, I realize that they are far more popular for arts & crafts purposes than for gardening... I'd be surprised if Wally World didn't carry them in the arts & crafts section. Or Michael's or that type of joint.

DimeBag65

Veteran
Glad you decided to order Walker, wish you the best with them, and am sure they will help your situation out alot. i have yet to get mine in, busy time of year for sure. hope to catch some of your guys grow threads by the end of this season, Hail the leaf, Dime

bw420

I used some last year with great results.

Didnt use enough due to the whole "makes your bud taste like plastic b.s." But when i harvest plants with crystals and harvested plants without and they tasted exactly the same when smoked, well, ill be using the crystals on all my outdoor plots from now on.

I'd stay away from the kitter litter crystals as well... just doesnt seem right, lol.

DimeBag65

Veteran
glad you had good results bw420 so far iv heard nothing but praises, sure is nice to have a back up for moisture on those hotter N hell days that will wilt and kill a plant during the course of a day. thanks for sharin, Keep it green, Dime