What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone else using Maltodextrin to make cannabis oil, water soluble for edibles?

G

It works with any oil so I recommend extracting into your favorite oil such as mct, coconut or any other after decarbing. That will remove any grit/plant material.

I find that it lasts quite a long time and is very effective for pain and other issues. Combined with the fast onset of the maltodextrin it's the best of two worlds.

For anyone interested in how it's done here's a simple video I made about it. It's worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXEp8puuwlc

I thought I was seeing some degree of contradiction in this, and wanted to clarify.

ringo was saying this likely isn't suited to medical uses, as the longevity of the effect or presence in the System is shorter (similar to smoking), where as eating typically last considerably longer, is therefore present in the blood system longer, and better for medical use thereby, which also provides a 'different' high.

But in your post I quoted above, it seems you are saying that this combines the better attributes of both methods, and DOES last a reasonably long time in the body.

Did I misunderstand one of you, or both??

JRace

Going to make this today.
If i understand it a good starting point is
5parts “infused oil”
4parts Maltodexterine

I have distillate, co2 oil, rosin, and RSO to work with.

Just need to figure out the ideal “infused oil” ratio,
Dist : mct : lecithin

Eds patent says
wherein the cannabis oil has been absorbed by the maltodextrin powder, such that there is no more than one-eighth of a gram of cannabis oil absorbed into every three grams of maltodextrin powder.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Ed is goofy. LOL I read that in his patent a well. I found a good ratio to be 1:1 by weight. Sam over at Grasscity like 5:4. Close enough. LOL

Don't forget to sift it after mixing. This makes sure there are no "clumps" of hidden oil that don't get attached to the malt.

Let us know how it works out for you.

JRace

First test was just plain mct oil maltodexterine,
5:4
Mixed 1tsp (~0.9grams) with 250ml water using a small electric hand blender.
There was a slight bit oil on the surface but overall it blended well.

Perhaps 1:1 would be better.
I am more interested in the quicker onset than the water solubility, although that would make for some interesting drinkables.

Next up will be infusing 1gram distillate with MCT oil, then making the powder.

I do have liquid sunflower lecithin, how much should I add for 1 gram distillate?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
How much lecithin I use depends on what I am making. For capsules, I want them as strong as possible so I use VERY little lecithin. For cookies and brownies type stuff, I'll pour it on.

If I'm not mistaken, a half gram of rosin is about 1/4 tsp. So, I mixed about 1/4 tsp of lecithin to the 1/2 gram of rosin. So.... about equal amounts by measure. 1/4 tsp of rosin to 1/4 tsp of lecithin. This was for caps so you might want to use more than equal ratios. I have never used distillate so I can't say much on that regard. I always use rosin.

I am with you on the fast onset thing.

It still tastes like shit to me (as strong as I make it) so mixing it with any drink just makes the drink taste like the same shit. LOL However, I am repulsed by the taste of cannabis so your mileage may vary.

As for mixing with water... yeah, I was a little disappointed as well. But, like you, I was not that concerned with water solubility.

Let us know how it comes out.

JRace

first active test

first active test

0.5gr Distillate
0.5gr Lecithin
3.5gr MCT Oil
4.5gr Maltodexterine

Overall:
1:1 ratio

MCT : Dist : Lecithin
6:1:1

1 gram of finished powder = approx. 54.5mg distillate

Normally I make 25mg distillate candies which are perfect for me ad I have a low tolerance for edibles (but high tolerance for smokables).

I am testing now approx. 27.5mg dose. Mixed in 1oz of cold Irish cream.

It blended much better than with warm water although that test was only MCT, no lecithin or distillate.
Zero taste, and it improved the mouth-feel of the irish cream, made it even creamier.

Overall it took less than 30 min to go from raw distillate to ready-to-drink.

Tomorrow I will try in a latte, more or less depending on how the effects are tonight.

Last edited:

JRace

Indeed the onset is quicker than edibles.
15-20 min before noticeable effects.

My 25mg candies are at least 45min before noticeable effects.
And my 40mg RSO/MCT capsules take 60min.

Very interesting, thanks for posting this process.

JRace

A few batches under my belt now, and this process indeed speeds up edible onset by at least 30min.

My ratios so far:

Run #1:
Distillate: 0.50g
MCT: 3.00g
Lecithin: 1.00g
Maltod: 4.50g

The ended up being 50mg of distillate per TSP of finished powder.
Tasteless, almost 100% soluble in water (slight oil drops on surface).

==========================================

Run #2:
CO2 Oil: 1.00g
MCT: 6.00g
Lecithin: 2.00g
Maltod: 6.00g

The ended up being 83mg of co2 oil per TSP of finished powder.
Had noticeable "co2 oil" taste, almost 100% soluble in water (slight oil drops on surface).

Run #3
RSO: 2.00g
MCT: 5.00g
Lecithin: 3.00g
Maltod: 10.00g

The ended up being 80mg of RSO oil per TSP of finished powder.
Had noticeable "RSO" taste, still almost 100% soluble in water (slight oil drops on surface).

For all ratios the effects seem to be slightly lower in overall strength, but the onset is far quicker. Duration is lower, only 4hrs compared to 6hrs.

This works excellent paired with my normal RSO capsule's I make for my wife to deal with her chronic pain (80mg). She takes both at the same time, with the Malto version bring fast onset and the normal verison giving the longer duration.

For myself taking the lower strength Distillate version was very effective for recreational use. I took one TSP with a joint, and 3 hours later it felt as if I had been smoking the entire time.

The distillate mix was so tasteless you could easily add it to anything without affecting the texture or taste.

Works great in coffee or a smoothie.

Thanks again Ringodoggie, this process is exactly what I have been searching for.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
It's an avoid for me, messes up my stomach. If you have a clean diet and eat a portion of maltodextrin on an empty stomach you'll generally see what I mean fairly easily. If your food comes from packages and boxes, you're probably already eating enough maltodextrin you won't notice any difference.

Interesting molecule, and I can see why it's used in a lot of foods. :)

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
I am a total health food nut and eat nothing but good. fresh foods. Maltodextrin does NOT upset my stomach at all. I suppose some people might.

Aren't you the one who complains about CHS and a ton of other illnesses you have? Maybe it's just you. I know 8 or 10 people who do this and none complain of stomach issues. Please don't spread misinformation just because you have a bad stomach.

Thanks

JRace

It's an avoid for me, messes up my stomach. If you have a clean diet and eat a portion of maltodextrin on an empty stomach you'll generally see what I mean fairly easily. If your food comes from packages and boxes, you're probably already eating enough maltodextrin you won't notice any difference.

Interesting molecule, and I can see why it's used in a lot of foods. :)

I rarely eat pre made or processed food, lots of fruit and veggies.

I also do not take the powder on an empty stomach.

I now have the strength at 150mg / 1gram of infused powder.
And I find that about 1/4 gram is perfect for my tolerance.
That is roughly 1/4 tsp, a tiny amount.

Love the faster onset.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Please don't spread misinformation just because you have a bad stomach.

Thanks

You've been a bit cold since I had a moment of zero diplomacy in a medicating dogs discussion. I get it.

The issues with maltodextrin are widely known and published, no misinformation here. Glad to hear you're not affected.
:tiphat:

JRace

You've been a bit cold since I had a moment of zero diplomacy in a medicating dogs discussion. I get it.

The issues with maltodextrin are widely known and published, no misinformation here. Glad to hear you're not affected.
:tiphat:

Can you share the published issues?
I have been unable to find anything and would like to know more about possible problems.

militia420

Aren't you the one who complains about CHS and a ton of other illnesses you have? Maybe it's just you. I know 8 or 10 people who do this and none complain of stomach issues. Please don't spread misinformation just because you have a bad stomach.

Thanks

It's not false information to let others know if this could mess with their gut. It's just a warning like with any other thing. I've had a fuvked up gut for a number of years after lyme treatment. I don't have any signs of lyme but my gut was nuked and bad shit took over. Maltodextrin sounds like various sugars and if that's the case, then it's like rocket fuel for bacteria, good or bad. If it's bad stuff you can get all kinds of shitty symptoms.

I'm actually scouring this forum right now trying to figure out a good oral delivery so I can stop smoking again, but my gut shape is forcing me to have to avoid this and glycerine, both I wanted to try but it's not worth fvcking my gut up worse.

Take a chill pill. It might be you one day.

militia420

What sort of edible transfer vehicles have you used with no gut trouble? I have to watch sweets too. But I was hoping to use something other than butter because my liver needs the break. I've used coconut oil before which tasted great but I never felt like it was as good as some heavy butter.

Latest posts

Latest posts