What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

am i deranged, or ?

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
My 'Great Outdoors' - is sitting on my balcony lately in suburban London - come rain, wind or shine - I'll be there having a toke -

If I want more nature - then a 100 meter walk to the end of the road and there is the River Thames, and its tow-paths - in all their glory - river full of all sorts of birds and boats - lovely tress - flowers and shrubs abound - and just now is the right time - spring time - to see it all start happening again - I'll happily sit down there by the river - watching the water world go by - for an hour or two -

We all need some nature and nurture in our lives -

I spend most days in Epping Forst,,,lots of wildlife ,,,I like the Deer ( Manchus?) who are lightning fast but quite vicious apparently',,,
I love looking at small blossom trees deep in the forest and imagine there genetics go back to when Henry 8th and Dick Turpin were in the forest and how something so pretty makes it through winter,,,s2

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
That sounds like a true outdoors man to me. I used to do that stuff when I was young but I am more into comfort now.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
That sounds like a true outdoors man to me. I used to do that stuff when I was young but I am more into comfort now.

i'm starting to lean that way myself.:) i am glad i did that shit while i was young enough to survive it, lol. experiences & memories are all you have really ...i still climb mountains etc going in hunting here, but i allow a hell of a lot more time doing it. camping once there gives me more time hunting per effort expended getting there.:tiphat:

hellfire

Certainly not! A life without the outdoors is a lacking one, in my opinion. Adventures, outdoors, dedication, nature and her many offspring are major parts of what make us human.
104038.jpg

Aneer

There is no feeling like being in your tent on a winter night, the wind is howling snow sparkling in the moonlight... Yeah, there is no life if you spent it all at home

H G Griffin

Whether in the canoe, on the riverbank, on the ice, or out in the brush, even as my body gets tired my inner self recharges.

My playground as a kid was miles of thick woods, my best friend a fishing rod or a pellet rifle or single shot .22.

It makes me sad to see today's kids interpreting every natural thing they see though a Disney lens. Small and 'cute' is good. Carnivores are bad. Death is a horror, etc.

Life, death, the interconnectedness of all things, the concept that the rabbit NEEDS the hawk and the coyote, all these things and so, so much more are far more interesting and important than anything on their phone screen. Yet most of today's youth will never be aware of the wonder outside their doors.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i have sat on stumps until falling snow covered me. i have lain on sandbars while duck hunting until my waders froze to the ground. i have stood all day fishing when it was so damn cold that my line froze in the rod guides. i missed 9 days of work once after swimming to retrieve my own ducks in below zero weather. (no dog, lol.) i sat a tree stand once in rain so hard i got wet inside of a Gore-Tex rainsuit while waiting for deer too smart to be out in shit like that. am i dedicated, or too stupid to get the hell indoors where our "evolved/superior" asses are supposed to be? :biggrin:

It's a passion be it hiking, backpacking, sking or hunting. As long as you don't harm yourself or others, enjoy the brass ring!!

Sunshineinabag

saw a kid today and tried to explain front step baseball, where ya take a tennis ball and throw it against the front step..however far it goes is the base line runners hit etc etc if it aint on a device nowadays they dont care...sad...we have traded leaf piles,slingshots,..tonka trucks etc tec for devices

armedoldhippy

Veteran
saw a kid today and tried to explain front step baseball, where ya take a tennis ball and throw it against the front step..however far it goes is the base line runners hit etc etc if it aint on a device nowadays they dont care...sad...we have traded leaf piles,slingshots,..tonka trucks etc tec for devices

yeah, you are right. and the kids are getting the short end of the stick as a result. if you didn't grow up flippin' rocks while hunting crawdads for bait, or snakes for the hell of it, you missed out. chiggers & ticks were the price you paid for wild raspberries, blackberries, strawberries etc. just like the skinned knees/elbows/and gravel embedded in your palms were the reward for old skateboards and bicycle wrecks. would not go back and change a damn thing...:groupwave:

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
yeah, you are right. and the kids are getting the short end of the stick as a result. if you didn't grow up flippin' rocks while hunting crawdads for bait, or snakes for the hell of it, you missed out. chiggers & ticks were the price you paid for wild raspberries, blackberries, strawberries etc. just like the skinned knees/elbows/and gravel embedded in your palms were the reward for old skateboards and bicycle wrecks. would not go back and change a damn thing...:groupwave:

growing up we lived near a canal that was full of mud bugs
i had a neighbor who would give me and my sister 5c a crawdaddy
we lived like kings that summer!

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
There's something about enjoying the hell out of things that might scare the crap out of other people.

Last edited:

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
And I thought camping was a Motel 6........:biggrin:

Grew up camping where we hunted. We had coolers, ice, a camper and a fire so it wasn't like we were bush hunting.

20 years later cousin buys property in northern KY and invites me to hunt there.

Make the trip from Florida and we check into a motel near his property instead of camping on the property.

Cold as hell and snowing like a mother so I'm grateful for a warm bed at night but imagine my confusion when I first go into the bathroom and see the sign that says "Cleaning wild game in the bathroom is strictly prohibited"

What kind of idiot does that???

Next day when we get back to the motel I learned about those idiots dressing out a deer in the bathtub in the next room while they crushed about 100 beers :biggrin:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
There's something about enjoying the hell out of things that might scare the crap out of other people.

flipped many a rock in the dark hunting crawdads in local river while smallmouth fishing, and grabbing a water snake by accident...:biggrin:

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Did some deer hunting when I was younger with a Winchester 94 that kicked like hell. These days, I see a deer behind our house and the last thing I'm thinking is to knock him off.

Parasailing off a mountain, aerobatics in a small plane or fast motorcycles might be the top of my list

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Did some deer hunting when I was younger with a Winchester 94 that kicked like hell. These days, I see a deer behind our house and the last thing I'm thinking is to knock him off.

Parasailing off a mountain, aerobatics in a small plane or fast motorcycles might be the top of my list

hang-gliding looks cool. buddy bought one after his wife asked him to sell his motorcycle because it was not safe. first flight, he clipped a tree trying to land & crashed in a pickup trucks bed. broke 1 arm & 3 or 4 ribs, lol. i'd like to parachute just once, & solo. don't want to ride into the ground with an instructor strapped to my back screaming for help ...:biggrin:

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
hang-gliding looks cool. buddy bought one after his wife asked him to sell his motorcycle because it was not safe. first flight, he clipped a tree trying to land & crashed in a pickup trucks bed. broke 1 arm & 3 or 4 ribs, lol. i'd like to parachute just once, & solo. don't want to ride into the ground with an instructor strapped to my back screaming for help ...:biggrin:

Age calmed it down but the need for speed always was the best rush and the closest flirts with the end.