What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Earthy, dirt-smelling strains?

RoosterGrows

I had a cut liberated from a 502 grow here in Washington, and it was called Juicy Fruit when it came to me. That plant made bud that smelled predominantly of earth/ dirt. There were other notes to the nose, but dirt was def at the forefront.

Like an asshat, I let the cut go (thankfully not before making some beans with a Bangi Haze male) and started regretting that decision soon after. The dirt funk of the cured buds seems to power a high that is characterized by relaxed introspection and a release of muscular tension.

I tend to doubt that the plant was actually Juicy Fruit, as there was no fruit or juice whatsoever in the smell. So I don't expect that I could grab a pack from Sensi and find the pheno. But I would like to find potential replacements.

Does anyone know of particular cultivars that smell like dirt? If so, is the dirt smell a common feature of that seed line, or a unicorn to be found only in a breeder pack?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Happy Father's Day to my fellow dads!

thailer

i know the juicy fruit that was going around a few years ago and it smelled like juicy fruit gum. definitely not a earth or dirt flavor. i'm willing to bet some poor underpaid worker mislabeled a bunch of clones. happens a lot on the farms.

i have a cut of GMO that doesn't smell like garlic and tastes like white button mushrooms which remind me of dirt LOL

S

sallyforthDeleted member 75382

I’ve not long finished white og S1 from karma genetics. All phenos have the earth aroma with the one I kept was like candied earth and very strong on the earth. Royal Kush from G13 labs also has the earth in flavour.

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
I would go for the Pre98 Bubba Kush or the Katsu Bubba for earthy/coffee aromas. You can get some great hybrids of these two also.

Also Ace/Cannabiogen Pakistani Citral Kush (PCK) for mossy, earth, damp forest kind of smells.

Good luck :)

J-Icky

I had a pheno of LA Dream (la pure kushxblue dream) that had a very earthy smell once cured. The high was def indica dom.
I honestly preferred the sour berry smelling pheno over the earthy one even though the earthy one produced twice as much bud. So maybe it’s not what your looking for but it was def earthy/dirt smelling.

Drewsif

Check with Phylos, they've grouped everything into the 4 commercially viable purpose-built strain profiles. The Roma the Big Boy, the Beefsteak.. Oh wait it's Skunk Berry Landrace Cbd and Hemp. I reckon "dirt" fits with hemp the best.

Moss is definitely a Cannabis profile. But dirt? I've only smelled the soil it was grown in,specifically,no different than bitter components giving up bitterness to the bud, or a Listerine drench and it's obvious "flavor".

Epigenetic flavor gene transfer tek. We're gonna need a new category of bro science to figure out why Cannabis tastes like it's surroundings sometimes...

QQNPK

I had a cut liberated from a 502 grow here in Washington, and it was called Juicy Fruit when it came to me. That plant made bud that smelled predominantly of earth/ dirt. There were other notes to the nose, but dirt was def at the forefront.

Like an asshat, I let the cut go (thankfully not before making some beans with a Bangi Haze male) and started regretting that decision soon after. The dirt funk of the cured buds seems to power a high that is characterized by relaxed introspection and a release of muscular tension.

I tend to doubt that the plant was actually Juicy Fruit, as there was no fruit or juice whatsoever in the smell. So I don't expect that I could grab a pack from Sensi and find the pheno. But I would like to find potential replacements.

Does anyone know of particular cultivars that smell like dirt? If so, is the dirt smell a common feature of that seed line, or a unicorn to be found only in a breeder pack?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Happy Father's Day to my fellow dads!

Was it also golden/brown with orange hairs ? In that case im looking for the same stuff as u m8 lol, pungent earthy but mild ?

rolandomota

I always think of orient express by ace and recently hashplant s1 because of the descriptions orient express .... It’s deep and organic aroma is reminiscent of a rainforest, full of life. It has a dense earthy flavor with floral details that lingers in the palate....

Has plant s1 ...Organic, earthy and classic afghan hashish, with touches of conifer.
I would cross erdpurt to hashplant and make f2 erdpurt for some nice relaxing earthy flavor among other things. Also Orient.Express x hashplant mmmm I like the sound of that cross

RoosterGrows

Was it also golden/brown with orange hairs ? In that case im looking for the same stuff as u m8 lol, pungent earthy but mild ?

No, kind of a darker green plant that cures out to an olive drab with a tinge of silver to it, and dark brown pistils.

weedtoker

Veteran
Dirt is a whole genre that covers both narrow and wide leaf plants... dry, wet, forest floor, there are so many possible combos I'm going to stop right about now lol.

With that being said Affie / hindu hybrids, maybe offer what you crave, in the ballpark of certain g13/hp, kush, dominas, etc, not the new age fruity thing.

cheers

RoosterGrows

I always think of orient express by ace and recently hashplant s1 because of the descriptions orient express .... It’s deep and organic aroma is reminiscent of a rainforest, full of life. It has a dense earthy flavor with floral details that lingers in the palate....

Has plant s1 ...Organic, earthy and classic afghan hashish, with touches of conifer.
I would cross erdpurt to hashplant and make f2 erdpurt for some nice relaxing earthy flavor among other things. Also Orient.Express x hashplant mmmm I like the sound of that cross

Interesting description on that OE for sure. I had freebies of OE once, but I let them get too leggy in veg and they never made it to the flower room. RIP. Maybe I did myself a great disservice by letting them go.

RoosterGrows

Dirt is a whole genre that covers both narrow and wide leaf plants... dry, wet, forest floor, there are so many possible combos I'm going to stop right about now lol.

With that being said Affie / hindu hybrids, maybe offer what you crave, in the ballpark of certain g13/hp, kush, dominas, etc, not the new age fruity thing.

cheers

Forest floor is another great way to describe the aroma I’m looking for. Maybe I should just pop the damn seeds I made rather than going on a goose chase.

Drewsif

https://www.mrextractor.com/datasheets/drews-earth/

I'm writing a study currently titled Legal Weed, the Psychophysic Gateway to Artifical Food and Sex: Tricking lcd markets with bag appeal.

Its largely about how the majority of the population can be tricked in an experience they aren't capable of, with simple visual auditory and olfactory cues..

But this throws me for a loop. Its apparent that most North Americans cannot perceive flavor and replace that experience with smell, but a desirability of dirt flavor? That's not the definition of terroir, it's the definition of a hyper accumulator harvested at the wrong point