What's new

Inline Carbon Filter

G

I know Phresh has inline carbon filters. Do other companies make something similar?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Isn't the picture working? If not, it's easy. If it is working, then it's quite hard.

G

@ f-e, I think we are talking about two different things. I am looking for a filter that has the intake at one end and the exhaust at the other. The sides are not perforated and the air is directed into the canister, mingles with the carbon and exits out the other end.

Stickybred420

that is essentially what f-e has posted. however instead of a metal sleeve containing the filter, he has constructed a box. pretty smart idea actually.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Cheers Sticky.
I have done it again since then, using a 50 gallon shipping barrel. Just dropped a filter in, sat upon a bit of something to keep the filters ducting spigot stood just proud of the barrels lip. The carbon was a 200mm, so a 200mm hole was cut in the lid. Allowing the hose spigot to stick out. Much gaffer tape later, and the fan was attached. Then a pair of 200mm inlet holes were chopped into the barrels wall (with a hole saw) and led up to the roof.

Then I did it again.. I put two big filters in a wardrobe. This time fans and filters were in the wardrobe enclosure. Only 4 holes were drilled though the wardrobes sides. A pair of 10s for air in, which were ducted off to where needed. Then a pair of 8s, as the fans were 8s. These were my clean air leaving. This was done as two big filters were needed, but there was no ceiling space. They were so easy to change each year. Just open the door, lift off the fan. Carry away.

It really depends what you need. Now inline filters exist there is less reason to make your own. But they don't come in every size.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Was thinking of making an enclosure, but saw the inlines have dropped in price.

Do they seem to work as well as end of line, or an enclosed box?

An inline or two would be much easier and fit the space much better.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I see no technical disadvantage that separates in-line from end of line. Choosing a good one is the usual concerns of getting a 50mm bed and Australian virgin.

I just put some demand on little used (veg only) a rhino pro, found it ineffective so got a new one. It was equally bad. I found a gale blowing through and had to tape the ends. Opening the old one, I found it wasn't full of carbon. It fell short, and turned to foam. Open cell foam. That unfiltered air was rushing through. Just like the new one. The other end had a small return lip, so was letting air pass it shouldn't of. They just don't know what they are doing. But it's all my local shops sell and I'm feeling a little desperate now. I'm going to turf it all out and fill it myself, but it's one of them stupid net bag designs that bunch in the bottom, and the perforations are 4mm so I must use something. It's scrap.. Brand new scrap.

G

I've only used the Phresh 6" inline and that thing was massive and lasted a 3 light grow over 2.5 years! I think they are the dogs bollocks and would like to use them again. Right now I am using end of line, and its fine too.