What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

tasty red oil, canidates (photos) - cherry oil

axle2u

https://www.icmag.com/ic/\'https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=78490&pictureid=1895272\'img https://www.icmag.com/ic/\'https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=78490&pictureid=1895266\'img https://www.icmag.com/ic/\'https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=78490&pictureid=1895268\'img https://www.icmag.com/ic/\'https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=78490&pictureid=1895270\'img

in my original cherry oil, thread....for developing a red (not reddish tinge but pure red)....cherry tasting ISO extract

someone had suggested a landrace from Afghanistan and/or Pakistan.....so I went on the hunt and came up with these little beauties.....

these are all Pakistan Chrital Kush plants...
but check out the reds in pigmentation of the flowers...

now I don't know why, while im drewlling all over my laptop
I cant help but foresee the red oils that could extracted from these flowers..

now what it would taste like, I don't know....
but the color would be on point I think...
a red oil extract....naturally occurring

now if they produce a sweet berry aroma, and/or berry flavor with earthy hash like tones.....poof, I think I might be on track

now imagining further....a cross breed
between a cherry bomb (cherry phenos) X Pakistan Chrital Kush
I think would be very close to the authentic original cherry oil I experienced in lates 70s era....

any thoughts guys...?

-axle robot (in pursuit of real cherry oil)......

rtfo.gif

Hookahhead

Hey axle, good luck on your endeavor. I read all of your other thread, many people posted a lot of good information. I personally don't have any experience with this red oil that you speak of (just a bit too young), but if I had to take a guess it has more to do with processing technique than it does starting material. There are a few reasons why I think this...

At that time there was bud coming in from all around the world. If there was some strong cherry smelling and tasting flowers, I think they would have been as well known and revered as Panama red, Thai sticks, Acapulco gold etc. I know there was talk of a Lebanese red, but from my limited understanding it's not "super cherry weed" either.

Also the extraction techniques were limited back then. As others said most extracts at the time were made with alcohol or ether. We didn't know much about terpenes, or how to preserve them. Different solvents like CO2, butane, propane, alcohol, and ether will all produce a different and unique end product, even when using the same exact starting material. I'm sure someone somewhere was experimenting with other solvents, just like we're still doing today. If you read through the Cannabis Alchemy guide that was posted in your other thread, a lot of time these solvents were just boiled off (along with the terpenes). Quick alcohol wash didn't become popular until much later, and a long alcohol soak results in a harsh black oil that I do remember. They were also playing with things like THC acetate, which has a reported vinegar taste so I don't think it's that. However it could be another related compound.

Finally we were dealing with the drug war back then (and still). Many attempts were made to disguise or mask the product. The original black hash oil fits this criteria, the dark viscous liquid resembled nothing like the dried green flowers it was derived from. I read a story about how they would load tanker trucks up with the oil in Afghanistan because nobody was looking for "liquid marijuana". Eventually word spreads, and the authorities figure it out. So to me, bright red oil (you mention the color of sweet and sour sauce), strong cherry smell and taste (was it artificial or natural?) seems like a good way to disguise the product. Especially if the authorities were ramping up their efforts to find the black viscous oil.

Very similar progression can be seen in the cocaine trade. There are reports of black cocaine, cocaine somehow embedded into plastics, and of course cocaine (and now meth) dissolved in tequila or other liquids.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just offering some food for thought.

axle2u

Hey axle, good luck on your endeavor. I read all of your other thread, many people posted a lot of good information. I personally don't have any experience with this red oil that you speak of (just a bit too young), but if I had to take a guess it has more to do with processing technique than it does starting material. There are a few reasons why I think this...

At that time there was bud coming in from all around the world. If there was some strong cherry smelling and tasting flowers, I think they would have been as well known and revered as Panama red, Thai sticks, Acapulco gold etc. I know there was talk of a Lebanese red, but from my limited understanding it's not "super cherry weed" either.

Also the extraction techniques were limited back then. As others said most extracts at the time were made with alcohol or ether. We didn't know much about terpenes, or how to preserve them. Different solvents like CO2, butane, propane, alcohol, and ether will all produce a different and unique end product, even when using the same exact starting material. I'm sure someone somewhere was experimenting with other solvents, just like we're still doing today. If you read through the Cannabis Alchemy guide that was posted in your other thread, a lot of time these solvents were just boiled off (along with the terpenes). Quick alcohol wash didn't become popular until much later, and a long alcohol soak results in a harsh black oil that I do remember. They were also playing with things like THC acetate, which has a reported vinegar taste so I don't think it's that. However it could be another related compound.

Finally we were dealing with the drug war back then (and still). Many attempts were made to disguise or mask the product. The original black hash oil fits this criteria, the dark viscous liquid resembled nothing like the dried green flowers it was derived from. I read a story about how they would load tanker trucks up with the oil in Afghanistan because nobody was looking for "liquid marijuana". Eventually word spreads, and the authorities figure it out. So to me, bright red oil (you mention the color of sweet and sour sauce), strong cherry smell and taste (was it artificial or natural?) seems like a good way to disguise the product. Especially if the authorities were ramping up their efforts to find the black viscous oil.

Very similar progression can be seen in the cocaine trade. There are reports of black cocaine, cocaine somehow embedded into plastics, and of course cocaine (and now meth) dissolved in tequila or other liquids.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just offering some food for thought.

thank you for this posting, you do definitely raise some valid points, and for the most part I do agree with your reasoning, to draw some of those conclusions

that cherry oil back in the day.....would be right at home
in a 5 gallon pail of "phoney" automatic transmission fluid

viscousity is close to same, color is extremely close to same
in fact if I were a smuggler, that would be choice containers
but yes very interesting point, how to smuggle that stuff in

would they intentionally colorize the end product, not likely I don't believe in this case.....would they intentionally flavor it cherry to disguise it....again not likely in my minds eye

yes a wealth of information on my thread, lets keep it going
eventually we might be able to reincarnate, the best tasting oil ive ever encountered in a lifetime...."yes its that good".....lol

"delicious to smoke, great high,
robust with flavor and smells intoxicating".....axle robo

the alchemy guide, is amazing....
shout out to the guy that posted it in the thread
im still reading through it...

its possible the cherry flavoring and the red color
is a chemically enhanced byproduct....of a process utilizing acid in the extraction....I came across mention of this on thc farmboys forum post I think...

the fact is, im not really sure yet, but have a tunnel vision focus on it, sooner or later im gonna crack the code....
and only with a lot of help....from people like you

thanks again, for expanding the horizons in my quest

-axle robot

:party:

axle2u

I have a hard time, getting photos in here the right size...lol
this is the drag and drop...trick....but come out thumbnails
my apologies....but if you seen these full size , you'd see just how tasty they look.....try click on photo links below this post

-axle robot

Attachments

• 8024261_what-makes-some-cannabis-strains-turn-purple_e2b4a2f0_m.jpg
    8024261_what-makes-some-cannabis-strains-turn-purple_e2b4a2f0_m.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 30
  • cannabiogen-seeds-pakistan-chitral-kush.jpg
    cannabiogen-seeds-pakistan-chitral-kush.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 37
  • TONI13000023.jpg
    TONI13000023.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 32
  • lr_pakistan_chitral_kush_ace_seeds_sacf050011_sacr100015_semasb01f9017_semasb05r9015_semasb15f90.jpg
    lr_pakistan_chitral_kush_ace_seeds_sacf050011_sacr100015_semasb01f9017_semasb05r9015_semasb15f90.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 35
  • pakistanchitralkuschcannabiogen16.jpg
    pakistanchitralkuschcannabiogen16.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 32

Cvh

Supermod
I read somewhere (I think in the book Hashish!) that in the production of Afghan Black Hash there is tea added with herbs and spices.
Afghan Black Hash is heated and kneated to produce it specific properties. Water or tea needs to be added to keep it moist enough.

While travelling the Middle-East and North-Africa I learned that the natives don't drink much Coffee but they drink a red tea made from Hibiscus leaves.
It had has a fruity/berry/floral taste.

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/beverage/hibiscus-tea.html

Maybe the Afghans (if it was imported, reading that Afghanistan was the main Cannabis oil producer back then) added some Hibiscus tea into that red oil you got in the past to dilitute it and improve the taste.

Just an idea, but maybe whortwhile looking into to. You should be able to source Hibuscus leaves easily, it is sold in nearly any health store.

Hibiscus-flower-and-tea.jpg

axle2u

I read somewhere (I think in the book Hashish!) that in the production of Afghan Hash Black hash there is tea added with herbs and spices.
Afghan Black Hash is heated and kneated to produce it specific properties. Water or tea needs to be added to keep it moist enough.

While travelling the Middle-East and North-Africa I learned that the natives don't drink much Coffee but they drink a red tea made from Hibiscus leaves.
It had has a fruity/berry/floral taste.

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/beverage/hibiscus-tea.html

Maybe the Afghans (if it was imported, reading that Afghanistan was the main Cannabis oil producer back then) added some Hibiscus tea into that red oil you got into the past to dilitute it and improve the taste.

Just an idea, but maybe whortwhile looking into to. You should be able to source Hibuscus leaves easily, they are sold in any health store.

thank you so much for this further insight....

that is very interesting, basically you're suggestion an infusion
of added flavors and colors....which is totally a possibility
back in the day....

sooner or later, we are going to crack the code...

keep it coming....

thanks again

axle robot

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That hibiscus tea is supposed to be excellent for the ol cardiac muscle but I don't think the red oil is a product of Afghanastan or even comes from those has producing regions.

When I first head of it, it was associated with BOEL.
and
Alcohol (ethanol) was the solvent used to make it.

Cvh

Supermod
That hibiscus tea is supposed to be excellent for the ol cardiac muscle but I don't think the red oil is a product of Afghanastan or even comes from those has producing regions.

When I first head of it, it was associated with BOEL.
and
Alcohol (ethanol) was the solvent used to make it.

Please read this post into the Op his other thread.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8407726&postcount=6

It is suggested here that hashoil produced using the BOEL method was also produced/imported from Afganistan.
But I could be wrong. I wasn't there at the time nor had associations with The Brotherhood to know where they got there hash oil from.

BOEL hash oil from Afghanistan:
Mr. Bartels. Moreover, the brotherhood was not content merely to smuggle and market hashish. Under the guidance of one of its chief chemists, the brotherhood developed the manufacture of an even more potent product called marihuana or hashish oil. In the course of our investigation, six such hashish oil laboratories were seized. ...

Marihuana or hashish oil was first encountered in February 1972. Since then the number of exhibits received has increased and so has the potencv as measured bv the percentage of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) present. During fiscal year 1973, 49.3 pounds of the drug were seized with an average THC content of 46 percent. This is a highly potent and concentrated hallucinogenic substance which can be manufactured with relatively simple equipment. As such, it must be regarded as a novel and threatening shift in marihuana abuse which should give those who advocate its legalization cause to re-think their position.

In Afghanistan the new product was hash oil. Stark had inspired its creation in Afghanistan by suggesting to the Brothers the idea of taking Andrist's process out to Asia and subverting the dominant position of the Tokhis, who were still distrusted as 'hotel hustlers'. He went further, proposing that he should go out to Afghanistan with an idea taken from a contact Solomon had furnished in Britain. Instead of producing hash oil, it might be possible to take the process further and turn the oil into a powder which was even easier to transport.

Stark visited Afghanistan at least once. The rifle-waving tribesmen in the foothills did not endear themselves to him, but he did manage to work his way into the confidence of a Minister and began making plans for a factory to produce penicillin. But rather than cut out the Tokhis, Stark and the Brothers appear to have decided to teach them how to make hash oil. Papers recovered from Stark years later include correspondence on material and equipment in Afghanistan yet to be removed.

For the Brotherhood, the move into hash oil could only be a profitable one. A gallon of oil brought in $40,000 wholesale, and considerably more when divided. The Tokhis were more than happy to oblige. A third brother called Aman had joined the family business, quitting his job as a maintenance supervisor at the American Embassy in Kabul. In a matter of months he became a well-dressed businessman sporting gold watches, two cars and a wad of banknotes. For $36,000 he bought the former home of an American diplomat close to his old workplace. Aman explained that his good fortune was due to the considerable success of the family rug business. Another brother was planning a private zoo in the garden of his villa in Kandahar.

Not content with hash oil, Stark was still chasing the elusive prospect of synthetic THC which had led him to Solomon, and was now talking of going one stage further. He had it in mind to make a derivative of much greater power. One kilo, he once claimed, would be equal to thousands of kilos of THC and with eight of the fourteen stages of production worked out, Stark needed just another $500,000 to finish the job.

https://belhistory.weebly.com/smugglers-blues.html

Cvh

Supermod
thank you so much for this further insight....

that is very interesting, basically you're suggestion an infusion
of added flavors and colors....which is totally a possibility
back in the day....

sooner or later, we are going to crack the code...

keep it coming....

thanks again

axle robot
It is going to be either the production method, the strain that was used or that the color and flavour was added extra to the hash oil.

axle2u

It is suggested here that hashoil produced using the BOEL method was also produced/imported from Afganistan.
But I could be wrong. I wasn't there at the time nor had associations with The Brotherhood to know where they got there hash oil from.

thank you agan,

im curious tho....near or around your location (country)
have you ever heard of a cherry oil, 70s era....being available on the black markets....?

so far, I know of 2 confirmed international cities
those newyork and toronto...

ive actually had it, via toronto, late 70s

im curious it it also was offered in europe as well

-axle robot

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

The very first paragraph says it all...
Under the guidance of one of its chief chemists, the brotherhood developed the manufacture of an even more potent product called marihuana or hashish oil
The BOEL took the process to Afghanistan and then the rest of the story says that STARK taught the Tokhis to make the oil.

Cvh

Supermod

The BOEL took the process to Afghanistan and then the rest of the story says that STARK taught the Tokhis to make the oil.

Indeed, and there is also the possibility that it was diltuted with possibly Hibiscus tea. It's drank like coffee there.
The Afghans didn't indeed invent the method...

Be it that is was added for easier smuggling or just to dilute the mixture to increase profit..

The Afghans uses also water/tea during the production of Afghan Black Hash. It's common practice to add extra flavouring agents in the Afghan Hashish production.

Like I said in my initial post, this is just an idea and a piste that need to be examined that the color/flavour might be added.

If it's not added then it comes from solely the BOEL production method and/or the strains used.

Cvh

Supermod
thank you agan,

im curious tho....near or around your location (country)
have you ever heard of a cherry oil, 70s era....being available on the black markets....?

so far, I know of 2 confirmed international cities
those newyork and toronto...

ive actually had it, via toronto, late 70s

im curious it it also was offered in europe as well

-axle robot

I'm born in the eighties. So I can't comment on that.
In the 70's here in Europe there was mostly imported hash smoked. Somebody once told that hash oil was also around but I don't know the colour or flavour.

axle2u

I'm born in the eighties. So I can't comment on that.
In the 70's here in Europe there was mostly imported hash smoked. Somebody once told that hash oil was also around but I don't know the colour or flavour.

thank you...
any info helps to put the pieces of the puzzle together...

-axle robot

TrickEE

If it was a deep dark burgundy looking red oil back in the late 70's, chances are it came from India/Lebanon. India used the red strains, what we now call Durban Poison, to make oil using alcohol. I actually got the process from an old old Chinese man that learned how to make the oil using alcohol distillation. The wisdom he imparted on me about cannabis was priceless. He also said many of the "Red" plants came from the Lebanese region. He said the Chinese people who cultivated the red strains they got from India and Lebanon would call them "Cherry Blossoms", as that was taught onto him from his baba, (father). The technique he used was basically shorter duration, intense shaking of the alcohol and cannabis together in a container for about 15-20 minutes. The alcohol looked like a light red tint to it before distillation. He would distill the alcohol low and slow to not harm any of the terps. And this was back in the mid 90's!!! The taste was cherry and a sweet, sugary flower tast. To this day, I haven't tried anything as exquisite as that! The old cannabis farming techniques he taught me I still use to this day. Anyways, I hope this kinda helps. At least maybe its a starting point for your origin curiosity.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Indeed, and there is also the possibility that it was diltuted with possibly Hibiscus tea. It's drank like coffee there.
The Afghans didn't indeed invent the method...

Be it that is was added for easier smuggling or just to dilute the mixture to increase profit..

The Afghans uses also water/tea during the production of Afghan Black Hash. It's common practice to add extra flavouring agents in the Afghan Hashish production.

Like I said in my initial post, this is just an idea and a piste that need to be examined that the color/flavour might be added.

If it's not added then it comes from solely the BOEL production method and/or the strains used.

I think I'm pickin up what your puttin down now.

Cvh

Supermod
I found the below texts just googling. :)

Maybe it's just as simple as this.

Charcoal filtering.

A simple Qwiso/Qwet extraction and then running the liquid through a charcoal filter whitout winterizing.
This would result in a red hash oil with a subtle cherry taste aka Cherry Oil.

(On some older forums others suggested using Ether to do the extraction to create Cherry Oil. But I don't think that would be the key here.)

@Op, maybe you can try this and post your results.

Smoking oils are non decarboxylated cannabis extracts. Smoking oils are most effective where immediate absorption is needed. Green Oil is a natural extract very high in chlorophyll. Cherry Oil is charcoal filtered to remove most chlorophyll. Honey Oil is filtered and winterized to remove both chlorophyll and waxes in addition to other plant material.

Cherry oil is a cannabis based smoking oil made from non-decarboxylated cannabis and filtered through charcoal to remove the majority of chlorophyll from the plant material. Cherry oil can be vaporized, hot knifed, rolled in a joint or smoked in a pipe on a bed of ashes or herb. Cannabis Cherry oil has an intense THC concentration and a very subtle cherry flavor that will provide an experience unlike any other.

Cvh

Supermod
Just found a recipe for making Red Hash Oil on an old forum.
This recipe involves the use of Ether but at the end of the text it says Iso can be used too.

How To Make Red Hash Oil

If you have some practical chemistry experience you can try making red oil instead of honey oil. Red oil is not as potent as honey oil, but if you use the same amount (and potency) of marijuana to produce both red oil and honey oil, the red oil yield will be larger.

You will be working with chemicals that will ignite if not used in a properly ventilated lab. Do not attempt this without a proper spark-less exhaust system if you are not working in a lab.

1) Completely dry and grind material to a powder. Soak material in petroleum ether for several hours, but less than 24 hours. Strain, saving the pet ether/oil mixture... pressing out the material thoroughly to get as much solvent/oil out of the material as possible. Filter the solvent/oil mixture through a coffee filter.

2) Extract pet ether/oil mixture w/ an ~ 4% sodium hydroxide (NaOH) in alcohol solution three times.

3) Acidify the NaOH/oil mixture w/ HCl (diluted 2:1 or 3:1 with distilled water) to pH 3. Filter the acidified mixture through a coffee filter.

4) Extract acidified mixture w/ pet ether three times. Evaporate off pet ether to yield red honey oil!

NOTE: This recipe works well w/ small quantities of material.

When dealing w/ large material quantities, replace 1) w/ ->
- dry, grind and soak material in 91% (or higher) isopropyl alcohol for three days.
- strain and filter, saving alcohol/oil mixture.
- evaporate off alcohol down to ~ 250 - 300 ml of alcohol/oil mixture.
- extract alcohol/oil mixture w/ pet ether three times.

Extract = placing two solutions in a separatory funnel, mixing thoroughly, and allowing the two phases to separate...
--- given pet ether & alcohol >> (pet ether on top) (alcohol on bottom)
--- given pet ether & NaOH soln >> (pet ether on top) (NaOH soln on bottom). same for pet ether and acidified NaOH solution.

To make the NaOH solution - mix 40 mg of pure NaOH pellets into 500 ml of distilled water until dissolved thoroughly. Then add 500 ml of absolute grain alcohol (everclear), yielding ~ 1 liter of the sodium hydroxide solution.

White gas can be substituted for pet ether (verified) muriatic acid (swimming pools) can be substituted for HCl (verified) lye can be substituted for NaOH (verified).

axle2u

yes I have read that also,

but MJ just for shits and giggles, let say this IS the source
of the devine cherry oil....

lets say afganistan/packistan regions known for mass producing decent quality cannabis...(a type of kush, I believe)

what landraces (various strains in abundance to support such a massive refinement of oil) would be the weed of choice...?

can we narrow that down, to a couple possibilities..
making the assumption that this IS the source...

I do find the pakistan chirtral kush buds, have the color pigmentation of a red oil....check out my album potential candidates for visuals....and give me your thoughts on that...

thank you,

axle robot

Latest posts

Latest posts