What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Washing chlorophyll out with hexane: worth the trouble?

troutman

Seed Whore
But then you have to return the bottom layers to add more non-polar solvent and repeat the process, repeat the process...

And the pristine non-polar solvent/oil layer is being dragged through the area of the sep funnel that is coated with residuals from the bottom two layers. You do not want water in your non-polar solution, it'd be a hassle to purge compared to pentane, and it might lead to waxing up before you get it out.

Have you even tried using a separatory funnel to do what your talking about?

Water and solvents like pentane or hexane doesn't mix very well. You could shake
a separatory funnel for hours with burping the pressure and the layers form in very
little time afterwards when the separatory funnel is placed in a holder.

If you pour water on top of a solvent like pentane or hexane in a separatory funnel
the water immediately passes thru the solvent and forms a layer below it.

pinkus

Veteran
I do think collecting from the top as Sky suggested would inherently cleaner way to do it as he is right about dragging the solvent layer through the water/ethanol/crud on the edges. I would definitely have done it with the Sep funnel had I not asked him why he thought it wasn't as good of a way.

Thanks, both of y'all.
:shooty:

pinkus

Veteran
It was worth the trouble and the wait. Extremely clean and clear.

Very satisfied clients.
:bandit:

One thing though, it was still quite dark. I did two runs of making cartridges, the first was significantly lighter in color.
The first batch I took distillate from the edges of the pyrex pan, where the pentane was purged fully more quickly.

Completing the purge took many hours as I used a seedling heater without a controller. Temperature was dependant on ambient temperature. Not ideal, but was out of $$. There will be more control next go around.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Glad to hear it worked out for you!!

That process is efficient, the next procedure in the book costs you cannabinoids for the further increase in clarity.

(Cannabis Alchemy by D. Gold)
Chapter Eight Preparation of Translucent (Honey) Oil

One of the most potent and popular of the cannabis oil preparations is a thick, translucent, amber oil which has been extracted from Afghanistan hashish. This consistency is obtained by removing the colored impurities from cannabis oil that has been purified by re-extraction with petroleum ether.

The purified cannabis oil (which may or may not be isomerized or acetylated) is dissolved in ten times its volume of pure alcohol. An amount of granulated activated charcoal (Norit) equal to half the weight of the oil is added to the solution. The solution is filtered through fine filter paper and the alcohol is removed by evaporation. The residue is a translucent amber oil with the appearance and consistency of dark honey.

Link to the quoted page in the book,

https://archive.org/stream/CannabisAlchemy/cannabis-alchemy#page/n55/mode/1up

Search for "activated charcoal powder" at Amazon or eBay, for instance,

https://www.amazon.com/Activated-Ch...84020&sr=8-5&keywords=activated+charcoal&th=1

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 1.31.53 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 1.31.53 PM.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

pinkus

Veteran
While I am not posting pictures, I do feel like I should report some of my findings.

All of the experiments were run in a standard freezer.

Straight to Pentane extracting is what I have settled on for the small batch extractions I am doing while figuring out "recipes" of terpene ratios.

The first finding of consequence is the difference between dried and frozen and decarbed, dried and frozen. The decarbed batch pulled WAY more chlorophyll than the other batch.

However, even decarbed it pulls less chlorophyll than ethanol by a long shot.

I am considering building a simple vacuum chamber and trying the Heptane as it is significantly cheaper.

:bandit:

Latest posts

Latest posts