What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pallet rim - Reuse soil

I did a grow this summer with pallet rim and about 400 litre of mixed organic soil. I want to use the soil next gear but I want to give it new nutrition. What do you guys recommend? Cow manure? Chicken manure? I'll have about 5 plants in the bed.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I did a grow this summer with pallet rim and about 400 litre of mixed organic soil. I want to use the soil next gear but I want to give it new nutrition. What do you guys recommend? Cow manure? Chicken manure? I'll have about 5 plants in the bed.

Make sure manure comes from local farms vs. corporate due to what they feed and the animals expel. An IC member here had problems with manure- can't recall what....I'll send him the thread to respond.

troutman

Seed Whore
Bone meal, fish emulsion and some cow manure is good.

Using old soil with worms is a good way to improve it also.

P-NUT

Veteran
Cow manure is great just be aware that most commercial hay is sprayed with aminopyralid and it lasts a long time. Google it youll probably be pissed if your like me. Not sure if its used where your at. If you know the farmer doesnt spray then your good but almost every hay bale Ive seen that was bermuda or bahia has been sprayed and that ruins the shit. I bale my own for that reason. Hell you cant even trust alfalfa anymore since these fuckers came out with roundup ready alfalfa. Wanna feel weird go ask for organically grown alfalfa or organic anything for that matter at a feedstore around here and your looked at like your a lunatic. I would add castings, fishbone meal crustacean meal and kelp meal. Just be aware if using outside you need to precook it if theres any wildlife in your area because they may dig it up looking for a meal.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Make sure manure comes from local farms vs. corporate due to what they feed and the animals expel. .

Cow manure is great just be aware that most commercial hay is sprayed with aminopyralid and it lasts a long time. l.

Be careful with cow manure unless you live in the country and know the rancher..
Look for a neighbor who has the weediest looking pasture that he cuts for hay.. That means he uses less herbicides to kill the weeds...
I don't want that in my veggies or my pot garden....

If the cow pasture isn't sprayed with a lot of chemicals, cow manure is an excellent fertilizer amendment...

Chicken manure is great also, but you want it from a friend's hen house...Don't even think about using chicken manure from a large commercial chicken house.