What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bho Disasters (PLEASE READ!)

jump /injack

Veteran
http://newark.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/two-injured-in-hash-oil-explosion

Two Injured in Hash Oil Explosion
The Fremont case is the latest in a string of similar hash oil-related fires and explosions in the Bay Area.

A Fremont man in his early 20s and a female juvenile were hospitalized Friday after a drug lab explosion, police said.*
According to the Fremont Police Department, officers responded to a home on Canfield Drive to investigate a report of an explosion. The home was known to authorities for previous drug use and probation violations, police said.
Police said the male victim was attempting to extract hash oil — a thick yellow-orange marijuana byproduct commonly known as*honey oil or dab using butane canisters in a closed room. The same room housed the home’s water heater.
Investigators believe the flame from the water heater ignited the butane —gas, causing an explosion.

The male victim suffered major burns and was transported to a local trauma center. His status was unknown Tuesday afternoon. The female victim suffered minor burns and was also taken to a hospital for treatment.
The Southern Alameda County Major Crimes Taskforce has taken over the investigation.
No arrests have been made and no criminal charges have yet been filed in the case, according to Fremont police.
The Fremont case is the latest in a series of hash oil fires in the Bay Area.
Hash oil rising in popularity
According to SFGate, three men were burned while making hash oil in a storage room of a Santa Cruz apartment on Sept. 29. A man and three dogs were also burned during another hash oil explosion, also in Santa Cruz, on Oct. 9.
In May 2011,*a man died from wounds suffered during a hash oil explosion*in Livermore. Two of his friends were arrested and charged with his murder but later accepted plea deals for lesser charges, SFGate reports.

"It seems like a relatively recent trend of people who have figured out how to turn a benign plant into an explosive."

Burns of a 2nd and 3rd Degree type associated with Butane type explosions below:

http://www.google.com/search?q=2nd+...7Aqa_2QXS04CoDQ&ved=0CCcQsAQ&biw=1345&bih=841

Gray Wolf's safety tips below.

http://skunkpharmresearch.com/butane-safety/

Last edited:

jump /injack

Veteran
http://pacifica.patch.com/groups/po...-part-of-growing-diy-marijuana-trend_fb043a5c

The process of extracting so-called "hash oil" from marijuana plants appears to be an explosive trend that is posing a threat to residents as "do-it-yourself" methods gain popularity in the Bay Area.
In the past two weeks two hash oil explosions were reported in Santa Cruz. A third incident occurred last Friday in Fremont. Earlier this year, a Santa Rosa explosion injured a teenage boy.
More than two years ago, a 35-year-old man died after he and his roommates, a male and female couple, were making hash oil at a home in Livermore.

[More in body of article]

In the comment sections there is room to write about beneficial uses of oil and about the laws of Washington, Oregon and Colorado. Fire regs and safety programs should be instituted rather than more punitive laws, make it safe and legal to process oil.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
People are mostly too stupid to be using compressed forms of flammable solvents. I don't see any way to stop this from happening, other than trying to convince these idiots that butane oil is not even the best oil anyway. But people believe hype.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/north_bay&id=9293476

SANTA ROSA, Calif. -- Police have arrested a 25-year-old woman and are continuing to search for others suspects in connection with the manufacturing of hash oil that caused an explosion at a residence in Santa Rosa on Friday.

At about 4:15 p.m. on Friday, several residents reported hearing multiple explosions in the area of Yolanda and Santa Rosa avenues. Police and fire officials located the source of the explosion in the backyard of a residence in the 300 block of Yolanda Avenue, police said.
Officers at the scene discovered a large lab set up in the backyard that had been used for hash oil manufacturing.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Please, everyone involved with BHO extraction, be safe and smart. Its too easy to make a mistake....

Imposter_Rotate

I guess you might say I got off easy. I was blasting outside, in a very well ventilated place, which was not the issue. What got me was a static shock (I assume) while I was putting butane soaked screens on the counter. As I said, I was outside, and even had a 20gallon drum full of water next to me. The problem was the half case of butane off gassing in front of me (luckily the outside air flow didn't take the flame the wrong direction). I burnt some hair on my face, and got my had pretty good. I'm all healed now, and don't even have a scar from that massive blister.
attachment.php

jump /injack

Veteran
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/orange_county&id=9295784

TUSTIN, Calif. (KABC) -- A marijuana byproduct called "hash oil" is being blamed for a series of explosions in Orange County, leaving several people badly injured. But the problem extends well beyond the Orange County borders.

The process of extracting hash oil from marijuana is a growing and dangerous trend. In recent weeks, hash oil has been linked to three powerful explosions in Northern California.
"Hash oil isn't necessarily something new, but this process appears to be a relatively new way to do it," said Lt. Paul Garaven with the Tustin Police Department.
Garaven says two men suffered severe burns in July after they attempted to make hash oil in their Tustin garage. The powerful blast blew off the garage door and pushed out walls.

[more information at site url]

jump /injack

Veteran
http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2013/10/clayton_smith_hash_oil_explosion_colorado.php

Clayton Smith accused in hash-oil explosion that lifted roof off house, burned child.

An explosion and fire at a residence in the small town of Carr, Colorado that reportedly lifted the roof off the house and injured two men, Clayton Smith and Levi Allen, as well as a seven-year-old child who was present at the time. Get details and see both a video and Smith's arrest affidavit below.
Arguably the highest profile hash-oil-related explosion this year to date took place at a hotel in San Diego, not far from Sea World. As reported by our William Breathes on the Toke of the Town blog, the blast did about $600,000 worth of damage and seriously injured the couple in question.
An animated video produced after the incident does a pretty efficient job of describing the hash-oil-making procedure and how it can go wrong. The entire clip is below, but here's a quick graphic primer.

MF Grimm

I guess you might say I got off easy. I was blasting outside, in a very well ventilated place, which was not the issue. What got me was a static shock (I assume) while I was putting butane soaked screens on the counter. As I said, I was outside, and even had a 20gallon drum full of water next to me. The problem was the half case of butane off gassing in front of me (luckily the outside air flow didn't take the flame the wrong direction). I burnt some hair on my face, and got my had pretty good. I'm all healed now, and don't even have a scar from that massive blister. View Image

Man, reading this hits home.

I'm even scared of doing my extractions outside, but between your accident, and the one in the article above where they are in the backyard, I don't know if it's worth it anymore.

Sucks, cause that's all I do is dab these days. I usually never blast more than 3 cans of butane into a single Pyrex, but I was always concerned about a static spark.

wow this is getting depressing, seems it's getting worse not better ffs.

Although I agree, these accidents and explosions are depressing, we have to take into account the fact that many more people are discovering the process to make BHO and are skipping some huge important factors that lead to disaster. (Like some idiots blasting inside their closed bathroom *FACEPALM*)

I guess you might say I got off easy. I was blasting outside, in a very well ventilated place, which was not the issue. What got me was a static shock (I assume) while I was putting butane soaked screens on the counter. As I said, I was outside, and even had a 20gallon drum full of water next to me. The problem was the half case of butane off gassing in front of me (luckily the outside air flow didn't take the flame the wrong direction). I burnt some hair on my face, and got my had pretty good. I'm all healed now, and don't even have a scar from that massive blister. View Image

Gah sorry to hear about your accident. I myself did quite a bit of research before attempting to make my first honey oil shatter, I read many threads about static and how to avoid it, as well as other countless warnings. I have never had any issues making the stuff and even purge inside, the proper precautions have to be taken when spraying for BHO

I hope you find the cause of the ignition and sort it out :)

People are mostly too stupid to be using compressed forms of flammable solvents. I don't see any way to stop this from happening

Basically this, people have no idea what they are doing(Filling room with gas fumes) until its too late. In my opinion the worst part about this is they may end up hurting a neighbor or person who was not involved in any way.

The only way to fight this is to try and remove any tutorials that do not provide safety precautions... and only post tutorials that explain the dangers, however this is a big task and wont be done.

I remember when I was doing research on this stuff, many of the tutorials I read were very vague and only after doing proper research did I see what I was going to be getting myself into. I swear one thing I read was telling me to have an open flame nearby and I immidiatley knew it was a hoax trying to get people to blow up..... evil. Anyway, stay safe!

The thing I am afraid of is authorities using these explosions to demonize hashish.

I can see it now in the far future, people arrested for making water hash under the false belief that it can be dangerous and explode. Many people(idiots) are already overlooking stuff like this and the way they are wording articles is going to make any hash production seem like a danger.

(Sorry for double post, can't edit posts yet)

Thomas Paine

Veteran
Production of Hash oil is extremely illegal.
So much more so than simple possession of Cannabis.

CA H&S code section 11379.6a:

“(a) Every person who manufactures, compounds, converts, produces, derives, processes, or prepares, either directly or indirectly by chemical extraction or independently by means of chemical synthesis, any controlled substance specified in Section 11054, 11055, 11056, 11057, or 11058 shall be punished by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 of the Penal Code for three, five, or seven years and by a fine not exceeding fifty thousand dollars ($50,000).”

So any kind of chemical extraction of cannabis is a crime punishable with up to 7 years in jail and up to a fine of $50,000 in the state of California, even if you are medicinal cannabis patient.

Dynamite

I've had my tubes "backfire" on me twice , to get good yields I pack my tubes tight , but on the o'keif tubes if you dont have the rubber stopper plugged in far as you can, and say you lift just slightly while blowing the tane threw the tube , I merely shifted my weight , BOOM , the pressure blows the cork SKY HIGH , and you have a serious mess . weed everyDAMNwhere .. scared the shit outta me more then anything thank god

no flames involved , but even for the experienced person , following all common sense basic guidelines , blowing tane is high risk

they need to come out with a cheap closed loop system

MF Grimm

I've had my tubes "backfire" on me twice , to get good yields I pack my tubes tight , but on the o'keif tubes if you dont have the rubber stopper plugged in far as you can, and say you lift just slightly while blowing the tane threw the tube , I merely shifted my weight , BOOM , the pressure blows the cork SKY HIGH , and you have a serious mess . weed everyDAMNwhere .. scared the shit outta me more then anything thank god

no flames involved , but even for the experienced person , following all common sense basic guidelines , blowing tane is high risk

they need to come out with a cheap closed loop system

I feel like even the close loops give you a false sense of security when there is just as much that can go wrong with those.

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
I would say that a "cheap closed-loop system" has disaster written all over it.

But I totally get what you mean...

Side note: I recommend that anybody and everybody whom engages in BHO extractions looks into the various ways to reduce the risk of static shock. One simple tip is to touch a clean grounded surface to discharge any potential static charge built up on your person.

It's not possible to be too safe. Just like how companies have boring ass safety meetings... it might seem silly, but always constantly remind yourself of the safety side of things and don't get too comfortable or careless. Please!

I've gotten hit with electricity pretty bad a few times in the past, not using my volt meter to ensure voltage is not present, or carelessly working on live circuits. It makes you want to say "what the fuck were you thinking?" - yet almost everybody that has ever worked in any sort of electrical field has had it happen to them from forgetting safety a time or two.

Same goes with blasting.

Especially since we all are stoners, right?

I hadn't checked out this thread for a while, and it seems the BHO disasters are increasing, almost exponentially, and it's a bit disturbing. Even if you are a complete dumbass that had it coming, I still hate to hear about people severely injuring/killing themselves, and especially OTHERS.

Please, if you find yourself to be on the lower part of the totem pole of common sense, BHO extraction is not for you. I don't want to offend anybody - and I wish there were better ways to put it - but if you have ANY question of your intellect/education/common sense abilities; put. the. can. of. butane. down.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"By Andrea Papagianis

Posted November 5 at 12:51 p.m., Updated November 5 at 4:56 p.m.

A loud blast sent debris into the air and people rushing out to the street Tuesday afternoon as a Capistrano Beach home became engulfed in flames.

Three structures were affected by the blaze and a 31-year-old man was transported to the burn unit at Western Medical Center in Santa Ana, according to Orange County Fire Authority spokesman Steve Concialdi. The man is said to be in critical condition.

Within 30 seconds of the booming sound, black smoke and flames towered above the single-family home, near the corner of Vista del Mar and Calle del Sol, and people nearby rushed into the home and neighboring properties yelling for occupants to get out.

“We felt an explosion that shook the whole house underneath us,” said Eddie Edwards, who lives nearby on Camino Capistrano. “Immediately, we saw black smoke, ran down the alley, kicked the gate in and ran in to make sure nobody was in the house next to it.”

At noon, OCFA received multiple calls about a large explosion on the 28500 block of Vista del Mar, Concialdi said. The OCFA sent approximately 70 firefighters to the two-alarm blaze.

When firefighters arrived, the garage door had been blown off and was in the alley across the street, Concialdi said. No details have been given as to the cause of the fire, but Concialdi confirmed propane and butane bottles were found on the property.

Next door neighbor Ashley Link was inside her two-story duplex when she heard the explosion.

“We just got a dishwasher delivered. We were unpacking it … and all of a sudden we heard a big explosion,” Link said. “All of our windows broke from the explosion, our bedroom door popped open. We look over and our next door neighbor’s garage had just exploded.”

Link, who lives in the duplex with her grandmother, mother and fiancé, said everyone in her residence got out without issue. She said a family of seven, including four children, lives in the home. The children were at school, she said, and she believed only one person was in the home at the time of the explosion. She said the man had been taken away by ambulance.

She added that the family owns a Hawaiian catering business. Concialdi confirmed this detail.

Ash from the explosion filled the air as Orange County Sheriff’s deputies, OCFA crews and investigators arrived on scene just after noon Tuesday. Dozens of neighbors and passersby congregated at street corners and began directing traffic to allow authorities unblocked access.

Small, continuous popping noises were heard coming from the residence as the fire blazed, and windows of area businesses and residences shattered from the blast.

“It was really scary,” Link said. “I literally thought my house was going to fall down on me.”

Another neighbor Marquis Collins, who lives across the street on Vista del Mar, said he was making lunch when he heard the explosion that sounded “like a bomb.”

“The blast blew the screens off our windows,” he said.

“We ran over to see if anyone needed help and saw one of the men who lives there walking out of the house, his clothes were on fire and he was bleeding,” Collins said. “We tried talking to him, to ask if anyone else was in the house. He was incoherent. He couldn’t answer.”

Concialdi said as of 12:54 p.m. the flames were deemed “knocked down.” While the fire was under control, white smoke continued to rise from the burnt structure for a time thereafter.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation. Sheriff’s department investigators are assisting OCFA officials with the investigation."

http://www.danapointtimes.com/capo-beach-goes-up-in-flames-tuesday-afternoon/

Coconutz

Veteran
http://www.ibtimes.com/refrigerator...il-operation-san-diego-bho-fires-rise-1327707

A refrigerator that exploded in San Diego Thursday led police to finding marijuana plants and a hash oil extraction operation in the California home. Authorities say the fire caused by the eruption took firefighters about 30 minutes to put out, AP reports.
Recommendations

A neighbor reported flames coming from the home in the city’s Encanto neighborhood at about 4:20 p.m., San Diego fire spokesman Maurice Luque*told U-T San Diego. No one was injured in the explosion, but police officers discovered hash oil was being made in the home. They took three people into custody for questioning.

Talk about fire it up at 420 bro
The ultimate 420 session bro. Top that bro

JVonChron

I try my best to live by this statement. you have the right to do whatever you want, so long as it doesn't impede someone else's right to do whatever they want. What if your in your backyard blastin and in relatively close proximity to your neighbor and they wanna light a cig or doob up in their backyard or fire their grill up? maybe a bit of an exaggeration but just for the principle of the matter. and that being said I would be super pissed if I am chillin in my apt. and get blow across the room from some idiot next door blowin the walls out the place. furthermore if they knocked the whole f'in building off the foundation I gotta go find another place to live. You gonna come help me{and all the other neighbors} move all my shit in and out all burnt the f--k up? I doubt it. no disrespect to those who choose to do this or anything I know the job can get done properly just sayin...

jump /injack

Veteran
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/orange_county&id=9314852

DANA POINT, Calif. (KABC) -- A Dana Point explosion that sent one person to a hospital and damaged homes in the area is believed to be caused by a hash oil extraction lab, investigators said.

Authorities responded to the explosion and fire in the garage of a home in the 26800 block of Vista Del Mar in Capistrano Beach around noon. A Good Samaritan rushed into the burning home to help a 31-year-old man get out to safety.
"I ran around to the other side of the house, and I started bashing out some glass and stuff, and I got in the house," said Mark Phelps, a neighbor. "I just wanted to lead him to the front door because he was on fire. His skin was falling off."
The Orange County Fire Authority transported the burn victim to Western Medical Center in Santa Ana, where he remains in serious condition with burns to the upper body and face.
Phelps said he saw debris flying 150 feet up in the air.
"Fire was going everywhere. It was just blowing up. I mean, there was explosion after explosion and fire balls coming out," Phelps said.
The force of the explosion was enough to blow the garage door off of the home. Four homes were damaged by the fire, and windows at an apartment complex were blown out by the explosion.
The Orange County Sheriff's Department said marijuana and other evidence led investigators to believe the explosion was caused by a hash oil extraction lab. Officials say propane and butane bottles were also located in the home.
Authorities say the people who live at the home where the explosion happened run a catering business. Five people live at the home, but only one was at home at the time.

[A butane fireball creates temperatures of over 3000 degree's and will melt steel, think about what it'll do to your eyeballs, they'll melt.]

"It seems like a relatively recent trend of people who have figured out how to turn a benign plant into an explosive."

Burns of a 2nd and 3rd Degree type associated with Butane type explosions below:

http://www.google.com/search?q=2nd+...7Aqa_2QXS04CoDQ&ved=0CCcQsAQ&biw=1345&bih=841

Gray Wolf's safety tips below.

http://skunkpharmresearch.com/butane-safety/

Last edited: