What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chitin / Chitosan / Chi: Cutting edge Product for Better Plant Growth (FYI)

S

sensimilla13

Just an FYI on chitosan applicstion...>85% deacylate, less than 5000 Daltons and only 50 ppm. Lower PPM turns on the IR without closing stomata and other negative consequences.

Cheers

dabking

background...I am a coco/refined mineral salt grower who is looking to try organic eventually. But as an in between step I have been looking at adding ewc to my soil and then occasionally feeding the soil instead of the plant to see what effect that would have on taste...personal belief being that organic done right does taste better...just not sure I can do it right just yet.

anyways...i was definitely looking at adding crustacean meal for the chitosan. I am also curious about the neem meal but I see it contains quite a bit of N and that might not work out well with my refined mineral salts. Do you have an opinion CC? Would I need to cut back on my N from my salts?

organic nitrogen doesn't react as aggressive as salt based. I add in raw ominA and get no negative reaction, and it's high in nitrogen 14-0-0. EWC will is fecal matter and that type of nitrogen will react.

if your looking to feed your soil use more than ewc. Add some hummus and molasses.

Don't veg without it, love my shrimp and crab meals.

Try this. Get some malted barley used for brewing beer. Grind one once and mix with 1 gallon of water. If you have liquid silicate add it at its normal rates as well as aloe vera. If you have BioAg's FulPower add a tblsp. Let me know what you think. Malted barley contains chitinese which is going to break down the chitin in you amendments and make it more useful.

Mr. Roseberry

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
I can find the %. Its the first ingredient listed on the bottle

i found this link on bud factor x is how i found out it had chitosan in it..im gonna get a 500ml bottle..i think that will be plenty for 15 plants that i do outdoors and if it adds more trichs that hell ya but the main reason i want it is to induce ISR/SAR..2nd comment on the page shows the sheet i was speaking about..where can i look at the bottle label at bro? got a link to it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKJHTNY-j38

dabking

picture.php
picture.php

BillFarthing

Veteran
If I was to buy the raw chitosan Oligosaccharide, what form of the chemical would I buy? what form of molecule is the most water soluble?

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
If I was to buy the raw chitosan Oligosaccharide, what form of the chemical would I buy? what form of molecule is the most water soluble?
The chemist in me is struggling with two replies:
- You must have been partying very hard last night...
- Judging from those two phrases, your weed is so strong you don't need to add more 'goodies' ;) .
Please take no offence, I had to get up at 5 this morning and all the neighbours didn't care last evening.

To answer your questions:
- The chemical you'd buy would be chitosan oligosaccharide; if it has been derived by enzymatic deacetylation/depolymerisation, then it's likely raw but if it's been chemically hydrolysed it'll most certainly be cooked. If you refer to 'raw' as unadulterated or in its natural state, then the answer is no, chitosan oligosaccharide is never raw but always purified or worked-up to a degree. Or, alternatively, the 'raw' form of chitosan oligosaccharide is chitin... but that's likely not what you meant...
- Because the molecular form of chitosan oligosaccharide is always chitosan oligosaccharide... your question is rather "Which salt is the most soluble?" Any salt formed with monovalent acids will do, polyacids tend to form precipitates or gels (e.g. citric or phosphoric acid). Chitosan oligosaccharide often comes as lactate (why, I do not know).

Vandenberg

420giveaway
The post before this went way over my head technically, luckily one can just follow the directions on the chitosan package, and it just works. Well.

Vandenberg :)

Latest posts

Latest posts