What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Keep Mother-plant Alive

Flowerscape

Just put my two of my three White Widow's into 12/12 cycle to flower.

I want to keep the third in vegetative to take clones from but only have the one grow light, that I am using on my flowering plants.

If I leave the mother plant in daylight during winter (indoors), will there be enough light to keep her alive and not flower, or will I have to use my weedy (pun intended) 25W grow bulb on a 18/6 cycle?

Thanks for your help.

St. Phatty

Sometimes I use the combination of a window and a 15 watt LED to give plants 24/0 lighting to keep them in Veg (or to Revert them to Veg.)

That way, the plants get some decent sun about 4 hours a day, and light to help guide their light cycle the rest of the time.

Of course, the sun is kind of going away in the Northern Hemisphere.

In the past I've used LED lights in a 20 gallon plastic container, with the light hanging off the lid, as a small veg. space.

Sometimes box places sell a "closet box" that is about 4 feet high.

You might be able to pick up a big cardboard box by asking in the freebies section on Craigslist.

B

Benny106

Any light will do but depending on the actual sunlight for nutrition is far better than a 25w bulb alone. Good luck.

B

Benny106

If you supplement the natural cycle, provide enough root space for new growth and keep temps in the right range as ssiab states, winter sun might be ok. What latitude are you at?

Sunshineinabag

The thing I would suggest? We have a screw in led section here.....grab a five headed or four lamp...throw some LEDs screw ins have n it and keep her happy with decent soil temp and 5000k 90 cri color enduring index...I only speak on what I've done myself btw

Attachments

• IMG_20201012_104527.jpg
    IMG_20201012_104527.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20201012_104451.jpg
    IMG_20201012_104451.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 27
B

Benny106

The thing I would suggest? We have a screw in led section here.....grab a five headed or four lamp...throw some LEDs screw ins have n it and keep her happy with decent soil temp and 5000k 90 cri color enduring index...I only speak on what I've done myself btw

More light the better the chances.

Sunshineinabag

Bean those feits in large numbers remind me of my first 5000 t5 badboy setup....truly a gem yet to fully understood by our community....I'm so bored today guys. More questions pleaselol

jjonahjameson

If you want to keep a mother, low key through the winter, you can do that easily with winter light. South-facing window, and some supplemental fluorescent through the evening, say some ambient light from the kitchen fixture, that'll do. Obviously a little lamp nearby with also work.

I found an easy way to do this was to make it a bonsai-style mother. It requires less space, less feed, less root space (along with root trimming as needed). Low maintenance and you can crank it up for cuttings under heavier Veg. light as needed to replace or flower.

Easy peasy. Read up on the "OT1 bonsai mother" thread. It's around here somewhere.

Good luck!

Attachments

• GeniusMumSunlight.jpg
    GeniusMumSunlight.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Geniussunlightmum.jpg
    Geniussunlightmum.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 32