What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Humidity Spikes with portable AC on.

kalopatchkid

Veteran
Aloha,
I recently set up a 5x5 tent as a drying space and am using an older portable A/C and dehum, but whenever the AC is on the humidity spikes higher.

Could this be the A/C is too old and not dehumidifying efficiently or that the AC is oversized for my space?

I originally was using the AC in a larger space but was hoping to cut down on utility costs by only having to cool a smaller tent as well as having it sealed better than the room is.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Does it appear to be functioning properly? Blowing cold? If so it should be actively adding to the dehumidification? Is it draining continuously? When they fill they get less and less efficient.

MrMMJ

This depends on what type of portable unit you're using. Does it use one duct to the outside, or two ?

kalopatchkid

Veteran
It has one duct that I run outside the tent and then blows outside thru a window.

It blows very cold and I also have the drain tube exiting the tent into a bucket in the main room.

Weird thing is, if I run it on auto it flooded my tent, but if I run it on Cool it drains fine just the humidity spikes.

It is an older arctic king portable that I got free, maybe i just need something more modern and efficient?

MrMMJ

The single duct pipe units pull air from inside the tent, blow it past the "hot" side of the unit, and then exhaust it out the duct. To replace this vacuum created in the tent, air from outside the tent is drawn in. The unit is condensing moisture from the air inside the tent and draining it, but the level in the tent won't go down when moist, outside air is constantly being pulled in.
The two duct pipe type uses one pipe to draw outside air through the hot side of the unit and the other pipe to exhaust it out. The cold side of these units are then able to be isolated and simply draw in the inside air, passing it through the cold side to be cooled and dehumidified.
The single duct type really don't work too well, and are the least efficient style. Some of these units can be "rigged" to work as the two duct types do, involving setting it up outside the tent and connecting custom ducting, but it depends on how the particular unit is built.

kalopatchkid

Veteran
The single duct pipe units pull air from inside the tent, blow it past the "hot" side of the unit, and then exhaust it out the duct. To replace this vacuum created in the tent, air from outside the tent is drawn in. The unit is condensing moisture from the air inside the tent and draining it, but the level in the tent won't go down when moist, outside air is constantly being pulled in.
The two duct pipe type uses one pipe to draw outside air through the hot side of the unit and the other pipe to exhaust it out. The cold side of these units are then able to be isolated and simply draw in the inside air, passing it through the cold side to be cooled and dehumidified.
The single duct type really don't work too well, and are the least efficient style. Some of these units can be "rigged" to work as the two duct types do, involving setting it up outside the tent and connecting custom ducting, but it depends on how the particular unit is built.

That is exactly what is happening in my situation. The unit is pulling a super strong vacuum on the tent and I've even tried running a dehum outside the tent so the incoming air is less moist but it was really racking up my electric bill.

Guess I will have to keep an eye out for the 2-duct style you mentioned. Thanks for your help, I appreciate your advice.

kalopatchkid

Veteran
Do you think it would be more efficient and cost-effective to just duct a window unit into the tent? From what I've researched, the single-hose portables are the least efficient and very counter-productive to what I'm trying to achieve.

MrMMJ

A window unit ducted to the tent would be much more efficient. Diy/Custom fitting two ducts, one over the intake grill, one on the out flow so the air recirculates through the tent will work best.

Grapefruitroop

Yup , portable AC are the most unefficient machines on the planet.
To me they look like a complete scam, if you look at the power consumption, the BTU's and this stupid feature of the single hose its just ridiculus....seems made by electric companies to make money!!!

I found that my minisplit can keep the situation in check as far as humidity much better than my monster dehum, that puts out a lot of heat too...
With a Voltage clamp i measured the average consumption on my Panasonic minisplit...its about 0,3 Kw....basically free in my book!!

Windows units are better than the portables but some still run lot of power....to me its all about KW...efficiency its a very important factor ina grow, it takes a very little distraction to start trow money from the window!!!
Good luck!!

Is the humidity spike when the compressor turns off? The fan still blows air through the wet coil, even if its not cooling? My main problem with portables AND window units.

For an efficiency gain, You can box in the intake side of the compressor on your portable, and turn in into a dual hose unit.

Attachments

• ac back.jpg
    ac back.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 48
Is the humidity spike when the compressor turns off? The fan still blows air through the wet coil, even if its not cooling? My main problem with portables AND window units.

For an efficiency gain, You can box in the intake side of the compressor on your portable, and turn in into a dual hose unit.

The problem is it's putting the house under a vacuum, and sucking fresh (humid) air from outside.

A window unit doesn't put the house under vacuum, therefore less (NEW) humidity, and greater efficiency.

Put a portable unit in one room, and the next room over will be hotter than before. Use window units or minisplit and it's not an issue.

Last edited:

kalopatchkid

Veteran
The problem is it's putting the house under a vacuum, and sucking fresh (humid) air from outside.

A window unit doesn't put the house under vacuum, therefore less (NEW) humidity, and greater efficiency.

Put a portable unit in one room, and he next room over will be hotter than before. Use window units or minisplit and it's not an issue.

I believe converting a portable to a double hose unit will avoid creating a vacuum inside the house but it is still less efficient than a window unit or mini split. Plus you still got to deal with those ugly hoses and taking up floor space with portable.

My electricity bill sky rocketed so much the month and a half I used the portable that I think the utility company thought they made a reading error, and lowered the following 2 bills to about half of my normal usage to compensate.

Fixer

Yes, You could dehumidify the air in the room your tent is in and then you won't have to replace you AC.

Latest posts

Latest posts