What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Doubt about proportions

Gio88

Hi! In few days i will try to do my first cannabutter! I’m using scrapped leaves of my harvest (with resin)... my doubt is: considering i’m almost completely using leaves how can I decide the right proportions? I have to measure the leaves weight after they have dried? even because they haven’t the same potency of flowers! Thank you

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
It's pretty hard to go by weight to get any kind of accurate potency. The amount of resin, the potency of that resin, what the strain is and even growing conditions can change and affect the quality and quantity of the resin. Not to mention how well you trimmed and only included resin covered leaves and small buds in that trim.

As an example, I make canna-oil with coconut oil from my trim. I use whatever amount fits in my 3 1/2 qt. pot and then cover with the oil. Normally the potency is just right for a whole cookie made from the canna-oil. The last time I made oil and then cookies, I ate a whole cookie like normal but soon had to lay down as I was having a greenout. That batch of oil is strong enough for a 1/4 cookie dose.

starke

Avoid branches and stems as they will retain the oil when you are trying to squeeze out every last drop.

hyposomniac

Ounce of leafy trim to 240g oil (or two stix butter) has been workin for me.
Made 33 (16grams raw) small cookies from 75g of said oil. 2 cookies does it.

Hookahhead

Yeah I usually do 14-21g of trim per stick of butter depending on the quality of the trim. I usually do 2 sticks per batch, so 1-1.5 oz of trim. Those are for my personal cookies, and 1 is plenty, most people are good with 1/4 or half.

I’ve learned from making many batches over many years, if you’re planning on sharing it’s better to go light. As Midnight Toker pointed out, strong doses are typically not a fun time. Also who wants to only eat 1/4 of a cookie, that’s a tease!

Gio88

I did it yesterday! how do you suggest to eat it to have a maximum effect Without doing recipes? A thè? Just eating it? Thank you

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i make brownies for my friends all the time... i don't eat em, as the 1st time i made butter, i used 1 stick of butter, 1 oz of bud, after 1 hr i stirred the crock pot, n added 2 large buds that were just hanging around, n some kif - i used 44grams of butter to make 11 brownies, ate one n was fuk'd - i thought i was going to be the 1st person to die from a weed od..

now i use about 2oz of trim leaves n popcorn with 2 sticks of butter n i am told it is kick ass- but as said , there is no standard dosing... each batch needs to be tested.. what we do for each new batch, is take a sample, weigh it n then gauge the strength- so if we start at 10grams of brownie n its too strong or weak we amend the dosage accordingly..
and as said 10 grams for one person mite be too strong or weak for another person..

i wonder how they do it medically???

V

voidpainter

I also use RSO leftovers (soaked trim/buds). I let it dry, then I put it in a pot with 200g or so coco butter. You can either make topicas or consume it, but since the leftovers came from an ethanol soak the butter tastes very bitter, similar to RSO

Gio88

my cannabutter is in the fridge since yesterday.. to activate the effects i have to do something like heat it up or I just can eat it with something?

Hookahhead

You can literally just eat a chunk or spread it on toast. The most important thing everyone has said is it’s important to know your dose. So weigh out what you think might be a good dose of butter and test the effects. It’s always better to start low.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
we have a little 10 dlrs postage scale bought on ebay- it measures down to 1/10 of a gram- so for each batch once we find the correct dosage we r good to go...
know your dosage...

Gio88

It worked very well �� the effects actually lasted a lot! I wasn’t prepared to a long high ��

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
Keep it in the freezer, it will last much longer. I've never made canna-butter only canna-oil with coconut oil. I also keep it in the freezer and I've never had it go bad.
I keep regular butter sticks in the freezer and I've had some there for over 6 months and no problems, I don't know why canna-butter would be any different.

V

voidpainter

Mine lasts a year in a jar ina fridge. Don’t let moisture in and you’re good to go. If you’re not planning to use it soon then freeze it for longterm storage.

Latest posts

Latest posts