What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need low temp and seedling stretching solutions!

mimistow

Hello friends , im a newbie and i want some advice. At 20/4 i planted the sprouted seeds to the soil and today they are as u can see them in the photos.BUT my problem is that the 2 of them that are just under the lights are stretching a little to much imo and im afraind they gonna fall over.Also i need to raise my temp some how.Im using Evergrow saga sco 560 led grow light(i think that the true wattage of this thing is 400W) that has 3 switches , one for red one for blue and one for white leds .Right now im having only the whites on and at a distance of 70 cm from plants and the temp inside the tent is 20.5-21.5 when lights on and 18.5 lights off.humidity 65-75%. Im thinking of opening and the blues lights on so it can produce more heat but im afraid of the result cause the company doesnt have any guidance for the lights.The other solution whoyld be to switch to an old 400 w hps but i whould prefer to grow them under leds.Any advice whould be helpful .THanks in advane mates!

Attachments

• IMG_20200425_213620.jpg
    IMG_20200425_213620.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20200425_213625.jpg
    IMG_20200425_213625.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20200425_213630.jpg
    IMG_20200425_213630.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20200425_213641.jpg
    IMG_20200425_213641.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20200425_213648.jpg
    IMG_20200425_213648.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 36

Dandelo

sometimes seeds just stretch a lot, could be genetics or could be environmental, either way you can build up a mound of soil around them or use a toothpick as a stake in the meantime, eventually transplant up to the point where you want the base.

I would mound the dirt a little higher on those, and get a fan on them.

In the end, it's only a difference of two inches once the leaves start forming.

Two inches isn't a big deal, right? :puppydoge:

S2 really

I'm with Pizzaman on a little air movement-I think the slight constant stress of variable air movement strengthens stems no matter the growth stage. emphasis on slight

Fixer

If you need heat consider adding an incandescent light source. You'll get light and heat.

troutman

Seed Whore
I would mound the dirt a little higher on those, and get a fan on them.

In the end, it's only a difference of two inches once the leaves start forming.

Two inches isn't a big deal, right? :puppydoge:

I add soil along the stem too. Roots will form there and the plant will get stronger.

Don't be sad. :huggg:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Hello friends , im a newbie and i want some advice. At 20/4 i planted the sprouted seeds to the soil and today they are as u can see them in the photos.BUT my problem is that the 2 of them that are just under the lights are stretching a little to much imo and im afraind they gonna fall over.Also i need to raise my temp some how.Im using Evergrow saga sco 560 led grow light(i think that the true wattage of this thing is 400W) that has 3 switches , one for red one for blue and one for white leds .Right now im having only the whites on and at a distance of 70 cm from plants and the temp inside the tent is 20.5-21.5 when lights on and 18.5 lights off.humidity 65-75%. Im thinking of opening and the blues lights on so it can produce more heat but im afraid of the result cause the company doesnt have any guidance for the lights.The other solution whoyld be to switch to an old 400 w hps but i whould prefer to grow them under leds.Any advice whould be helpful .THanks in advane mates!
A lot is strain dependent but, not everything is strain dependent. I find 70cm a tad high and your plants are "reaching" for the light rather than growing.

I use a PAR meter to set my lights and adjust after that (if req):

• seedlings 60-90 umols;
  • clones 100-200 umols;
  • veg 300-425 umols; and
  • flower 700-1200 umols
I found that 30-40cm is adequate. I start my seedlings off between 12-16" (30-40cm)

A lot is strain dependent but, not everything is strain dependent. I find 70cm a tad high and your plants are "reaching" for the light rather than growing.

I use a PAR meter to set my lights and adjust after that (if req):

• seedlings 60-90 umols;
  • clones 100-200 umols;
  • veg 300-425 umols; and
  • flower 700-1200 umols
I found that 30-40cm is adequate. I start my seedlings off between 12-16" (30-40cm)

Interesting,most people would say clones would take a little less light intensity than seedlings.

Mr. J

Wow. So many words. How about this: Make it warmer, put light closer. Six words, problem solved. Probably could have done it with even less words if I tried.

You guys overcomplicate everything. A newb comes in with a simple problem and he's bombarded with shit that doesn't matter. Usually one guy has the right answer but it gets drowned out by a flood of irrelevant information. Not to mention that you're mostly 6 months late and his plants have probably stretched to the ceiling by now.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Small seedlings need a surprisingly large amount of light to stop them stretching in the first week or two.

imo you are also better to start them in smaller pots and then up-pot them when they've grown a bit.
VG

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Just put them on a heat pad and lower your Led down almost to the top of your seedlings. You might need a small electric heater also. Like the above post just be easy with them and you let them get on a heat mat and get your temps up some you should be fine. Just be easy watering, use a spray bottle to help overwatering. They need small amounts when young, especially if it's cold and there not on a heat mat you. It's a pretty easy fix just get you a heat mat, and see what your temps are?? Young seedlings like it around 75-80degress

xerb

I try to supply my seedlings with intense lighting from the start - and they love it.
If the temp is dropping too much when the lights are turned off - Don't turn them off !

It is important for plants to have a slight breeze rustling their leaves from the time they come up.
They respond by growing thicker stems and leaves, and staying shorter.

I veg seedlings for 3 weeks under intense 315W CMH bulbs lit 24/7.
3 weeks after breaking the soil surface they look like this

DSC_0247.JPG

At 3 weeks old this plant is 10 inches tall and 18 inches across, this is the day I changed to 11/13 light cycle.

This plant looks washed out due to the intense HID lighting, but it is actually a dark green.

Bright light and a fan, organic, mostly vegan, living soil. I am a lazy farmer.

The only non-vegan items: oyster shell, crustacean shell meal.

Best of Luck, XERB

...CR500AF...

Wow. So many words. How about this: Make it warmer, put light closer. Six words, problem solved. Probably could have done it with even less words if I tried.

You guys overcomplicate everything. A newb comes in with a simple problem and he's bombarded with shit that doesn't matter. Usually one guy has the right answer but it gets drowned out by a flood of irrelevant information. Not to mention that you're mostly 6 months late and his plants have probably stretched to the ceiling by now.

Bingo the golden rule. KISS

Latest posts

Latest posts