What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Recommended height for Quantum Board led?

superhaze420

Hi guys,

This is my first time with Quantum board led, I have two led boards (120w + 120w) of 3500k + red.

I have read very different things about the recommended height, but in all cases, I always think... "that seems to me too much distance between the led panels and the plants".

I have always tried to put the light as close as possible to the plants (avoiding excess heat / burning).

But now, with quantum led, that seems to be different.

Does anyone have experience growing with these LED panels?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I had to raise mine. At under 100mm they were stressing my plants. So I'm back to a more realistic 250mm. Though most people are at 450mm. You should get a light meter. Divide your lux reading by 65 and you have ppfd. Meters are cheap, and you really need one so you can spread your light over a decent area, without spreading it too thinly.

Pro Headies

Veteran
Start 3ft away at minimum. You can use a lux meter and try 15,000 lumes to start then slowly move closer or let plants grow to them.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have 2 x XB200 from HGLED in a 2.5' x 5' area - I've kept them every where between 24" and 4". 8-14" seems to be the sweet spot. 14-16" or so when allowing them to stretch and staying around 8-10" during maturation in flower.

The spectrum on these boards is way different though. It's 6 colors that end up making a more white light than you'd expect. Under a camera lens, it ends up looking more pink/red than it appears to the naked eye.

Either way, this is my first run with LED and I'm not fully convinced quantum boards are really the way to go. I think I was getting more output with my 315w CMH bulbs. Time will tell. Flowers are certainly being produced though.

picture.php

dank.Frank

Pro Headies

Veteran
I have 2 x XB200 from HGLED in a 2.5' x 5' area - I've kept them every where between 24" and 4". 8-14" seems to be the sweet spot. 14-16" or so when allowing them to stretch and staying around 8-10" during maturation in flower.

The spectrum on these boards is way different though. It's 6 colors that end up making a more white light than you'd expect. Under a camera lens, it ends up looking more pink/red than it appears to the naked eye.

Either way, this is my first run with LED and I'm not fully convinced quantum boards are really the way to go. I think I was getting more output with my 315w CMH bulbs. Time will tell. Flowers are certainly being produced though.

View Image

dank.Frank

honestly those arent quantum boards in my opinion. Those HGL boards have RGB diodes but quantums to me are white diodes. HLG is the real deal quantum boards in my opinion. So i can see the doubts your having with them. Im not fully convinced either though when it comes to finished products quality with LED in general. I run two genetic test tents, one is a 2.5 x 5 like yours but has two 324 quantum boards at 320w and a 2 x 4 with three 120 quantum boards at 190w. Both put out close to 2g per watt which is great but i feel the finished product is inferior to hps still. But my main room is still ruled by 1k HPS's but between each hood is quantum boards.

check out this thread for more info. lots of bitching and trolling because of HGL shade but you can see HLG beat HGL by 2 ounces and used less wattage. https://www.rollitup.org/t/hlg-vs-hgl-side-by-side-take-2.989196/page-49 and make sure to read post #1018 and #1076

Last edited:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh I understand all the talk and back and forth and drama - these were given to test and didn't cost me anything. I'm not complaining, just not sold on them. Quantum board, refers to a PCB based LED board attached to a fan-less heatsink more or less in my opinion, not just spectrum, but I could be wrong and not know what I'm talking about.

The HGLED panels produce a much more white light than is captured when you take a picture. It's odd that way. In person, it appears to be a nearly white, with slightly pink hue - ie - not nearly as bright.

They are producing fairly well, just not the penetration into the depth of the canopy I'm using to seeing. I think proper yields mandate serious canopy management. SCROG seems the way to maximize their potential.

dank.Frank

Pro Headies

Veteran
Oh I understand all the talk and back and forth and drama - these were given to test and didn't cost me anything. I'm not complaining, just not sold on them. Quantum board, refers to a PCB based LED board attached to a fan-less heatsink more or less in my opinion, not just spectrum, but I could be wrong and not know what I'm talking about.

The HGLED panels produce a much more white light than is captured when you take a picture. It's odd that way. In person, it appears to be a nearly white, with slightly pink hue - ie - not nearly as bright.

They are producing fairly well, just not the penetration into the depth of the canopy I'm using to seeing. I think proper yields mandate serious canopy management. SCROG seems the way to maximize their potential.

dank.Frank

quantum is the name HLG branded there boards is why I don't think of any other boards as quantums. I'm going to assume they named them that because of using Samsung diodes and Samsung having there quantum tv line. i know I don't get nearly the same size buds with the boards as hps can. i have 15 quantum boards altogether in total and there in all kinds of configurations. besides using them in tester tents for there low wattage usage i think they work best for the girls that get to tall and to close to the 1k's so I put the boards in pairs between each 1k hood and let the tops nearly touch the boards. after you try the HGL id recommend trying a HLG quantum board grow and see how performs for you.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Pro, look up the quantum theory of light. The mix of different photons. HLG are using the name because of the broad spectral output. The meters we use to measure the spectral radiation across a number of bands are quantum meters.

I didn't realise you were also playing with LED's Frank. I think if your undecided between 200w and 315w then that's a win for LED.

Looking at your grow, I see a much more HID like growth pattern than I have. I swapped a 600 for 600 not 400. But it's not been at that power all the time. I'm seeing my plants reach into every gap, but with little shade response. The outcome being lots of average buds, rather than a big boss bud and it's minions. I saw this side by side difference between HID and LED. However, looking around, I'm perhaps using too much power. Driven by ppfd figures though, calculated from lux and confirmed with math.

Edit: My yields are up. Visually and on the scales. The kind of increase that doesn't need a second run.

Pro Headies

Veteran
Thanks F.E. i wasn't sure about the quantum name. i don't have a quantum meter.

What do you think of those Gavita Pro 1700e? im thinking of buying one to give it a try.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I just had a look for the first time, as I buy closer to source.

I wonder if they come apart, as I like the big spread, but also value things that fit in an inconspicuous box.

Typical values, indicative of Samsung diodes and some 660, but they actually list the 660 supplier rather than glossing over it. So that's not hiding anything.

Dim to 50%? Using a dimmer that can talk to many lights, but each light also needs a translator. That leaves them flat on their face for me. I need to know which Phillips driver is being used, because I smell foul play. Phillips don't make crap like that. I'm not buying into pointless dimmer systems when it should cost $1 to dim through a much wider 'and needed' range

As it's about 600w of Samsung+660 it's just like any other light in most respects. So the financial comparison is easy to make. The spread is nice though, allowing a lower mounting height. But the dimming.. I need more information.

I paid about $450 for 720w of them LED's with a Meanwell. Unknown 660s but same umol quoted. If you need a warehouse full the China connection is no good though, as you will incur charges.

Latest posts

Latest posts