What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hokkaido Japan

hunt4genetics

Veteran
This is a very interested thread. I was informed that Ace Seeds sold the Hokkaido strain by a kind soul in the Hemp forum. I am so interested in low THC feral hemp strains. I would so love "Ditch weed" that escaped farms after WW2 and the "Hemp for Victory" period. With Hemp legalization in the US, will ACE seeds offer "Mid-West ditch weed seeds" anytime soon?

Indika

Hokkaido 2019

picture.php

Hokkaido Japan Hemp (Ace Seeds)

BabTaHerbless

Hi therevverend,

I concur with you in most of what you said. As i pointed out in the official description of this strain, i also believe that this japanese hemp strain is probably more related to chinese and korean hemp rather than european or russian, but that's my 'intuition' and there are no scientific proofs about it as far as i know) to prove it.

I'm not a taxonomist but in my opinion clearly both the old sativa/indica/rudelaris taxonomy and the new nld/wld/etc taxonomy both fail to classify properly all the cannabis diversity we know of nowadays.

The old sativa/indica/rudelaris taxonomy failed to differenciate properly non psychoactive hemp and non psychoactive wild cannabis vs psychoactive cultivars. While the new nld/wld/etc taxonomy is based on leaf traits which in my opinion is an unaccurate and childish way to classify properly cannabis, especially considering most of the hybrid genepool available nowadays to marijuana growers, and also doesn't classifies properly autoflowering or rudelaris genetics.

That''s why i never have used the new taxonomy although it is being promoted by big breeders and influential scholars in the cannabis/marijuana scene. If a new taxanomy that tries to replace a previous one still fails to classify properly all the cannabis diversity, then there's no point for me to start to using the new one and i still will be using the old sativa/indica/rudelaris until taxonomist find a new and more accurate way to classify cannabis genepool, which in my opinion will need to consider both: specific and relevant genetic markers as well as chemotypes, and not just geographical origin or leaf traits.

Anyway, i repeat: i'm not a taxonomist and i would prefer to discuss this in another thread and focus this thread mainly about this new japanese hemp line.

hi Dubi, nice thought. Really.

Back to Canna's world on these recent day from relative long time, seems almost everything is gonna change. Laboratory trials on weed are offering new point of view and sometimes, facing my substantial ignorance about the complexity of bio/chemical development's process of the whole plant, i must admit, i feel myself like forced to deepen it.

what i' v noticed- correct me,please, if i'm wrong and apologize my superficiality- from quite few scientific readings i' m approaching to during these days is that, what growers and breeders had always knew throughout the variability of the shapes or the complexity of terps and cannabinoids by an empirical state of baked astonishment, has more to share with environmental variability able to enhance on the long term the phenotypical side on the original genotypical one, as far as all surface characters are obviously due to bio-chemical process induced by an elevated form of acclimatization able to enrich the complexity of the plant we all love. That is that when we wonder about the ganja saga from India to the whole world, or when we linger on the differences between indica and indica afghanica, but doesn't seems to be apply when we try to recall suggestions about these or those lineage.

By this way,as you propose , misused recurring definition on weed's family seems to decline, or at best revealing some limits approaching what is usually considered as an exception...
like Linneo 's general taxonomy is also considered nowadays not so accurate,i assume that seems to be quite clear what is really going on and terps/cannabinoids profile shall also tell more than we all know today.

all the best, much respect

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome bass_heavy :)

Happy to see you growing the the Hokkaido hemp strain!
Please, keep us updated with their development. Best wishes!

bass_heavy

Thanks Dubi! :wave:

This strain grows very easy. The 2 plants are in 1 5 gallon container and are doing great. Right now it is at 6 weeks and were moved outside at week 4.

- Performed 2 diluted feedings thus far. No signs of nute deficiencies
- Had some cold weather fluctuations (~11 degrees for a few days). The plant responded well to that.
- Also tried putting it in a location that had ample sunlight (roof with reflective material around) but the leaves got crispy/burnt and had to prune them. The plant did not like that (my mistake). Currently it is in a location receiving 5 hours of direct sunlight, that seems to be good for now.

There seems to be 2 phenos.
- 1) Redish/Purple stems & streaking when exposed to cool temps, grows big leaves. Piney musky pungent odor
- 2) Green stems minimal streaking, ruderalis looking leaves, wider leaves spacing (forgot the term). More piney with geranium hints

It's 13 days past summer solstice and am awaiting the plants to sex. They are getting quite big for the amount of space I have :)

d.jpg

c.jpg

b.jpg

a.jpg

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi bass_heavy,

Try to post recent close pics of the upper nodes of the different Japanese females you have and i will try to identify their sex. At their age they should not be far from showing their gender.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
I wonder if this Hokkaido variety was not used for seeds production only instead of fibre, since the look is so bushy.
Another thing is about the aroma, beside piney also a bit Geranium.Does this mean it contains also a bit of geraniol in the profile, although I don't see it back what is tested

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi mexcurandero420,

I could be wrong, but as far as i know cannabis in Hokkaido has not been grown for seed consumption.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
You would expect the less branches, the more it is suitable for fibre production.
Don't know how long this variety is grown in Hokkaido, but it looks like it's originated from China, could be wrong.

Japan occupied Manchuria in the early 1930s.It could be from this region.

picture.php

Japanese hemp was grown at the experimental station in Arlington Kentucky in 1901, but it's a larger variety

picture.php

'Boogieman'

This is a very interested thread. I was informed that Ace Seeds sold the Hokkaido strain by a kind soul in the Hemp forum. I am so interested in low THC feral hemp strains. I would so love "Ditch weed" that escaped farms after WW2 and the "Hemp for Victory" period. With Hemp legalization in the US, will ACE seeds offer "Mid-West ditch weed seeds" anytime soon?

Read unadulterated ditch weed has no visible trichomes, it's utterly worthless. I destroy it when I find it.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi mexcurandero420,

Yes, i also have the feeling the Japanese Hokkaido hemp strain we have preserved and released has Chinese origins, i noted this in the description of the strain as the Japanese line reminds me a lot our China Yunnan in growing traits.

Several hemp strains were/are grown in different regions and prefectures of Japan, who knows what were growing in Kentucky early past century in those pics.

You would expect the less branches, the more it is suitable for fibre production.
Don't know how long this variety is grown in Hokkaido, but it looks like it's originated from China, could be wrong.

Japan occupied Manchuria in the early 1930s.It could be from this region.

View Image

Japanese hemp was grown at the experimental station in Arlington Kentucky in 1901, but it's a larger variety

View Image

rizraz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very cool. How's the smoke?

You know I posted in my other thread that I completely forgot to add a smoke report like a dummy. I'll get one up with more flower shots and such as soon as I'm able. Not sure why I didn't think to add it.

Indika

Kleine Hokkaido Male !

Attachments

• photo2050003.jpg
    photo2050003.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 134
  • photo2050005.jpg
    photo2050005.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 135

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi,

I have updated the Hokkaido Japan strain description here on the first post of this thread and also on our website accordingly to the new findings provided by rizraz :yes: