Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Worldwide Cannabis Guide > Did the vikings smoke weed?

Thread Title Search
Did the vikings smoke weed? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-03-2018, 05:34 PM #1
Green Wolf

Green Wolf will become famous soon enough
Did the vikings smoke weed?

I was reading an article about how hemp seeds had been found in the grave of a viking woman in Norway. Do you guys think the vikings knew about the intoxicating effects of weed?
Green Wolf is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:43 PM #2
Iffy
Nil Illegitimus Carburundum

Iffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud of
Wink Historical Use

Hi Green Wolf,
I have researched this very question for a historical novel and the Chinese warriors used it around 5000 years ago. The Shahansha's mighty Persian army consumed it before battle, as did the Celts, the Turks, Carthaginians etc. In fact it is hard to conceive that any ancient race would have been ignorant of the medicinal properties of our wonderful Mary Jane.

Peace and happy growing!
regards,
Iffy

The Chronic Pain Club - a resource for us all!

My definition of an EXPERT; An 'EX' is a has-been & a 'SPURT' is a drip under pressure!

****************************** ****************************** ****************************** ***
All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small.
Lao Tzu

****************************** ****************************** ****************************** ***
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Iffy is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:42 PM #3
weedobix

weedobix is a glorious beacon of lightweedobix is a glorious beacon of lightweedobix is a glorious beacon of lightweedobix is a glorious beacon of lightweedobix is a glorious beacon of lightweedobix is a glorious beacon of lightweedobix is a glorious beacon of lightweedobix is a glorious beacon of lightweedobix is a glorious beacon of lightweedobix is a glorious beacon of lightweedobix is a glorious beacon of light
i doubt it would be for smoking, you wouldn't want to smoke hemp. They certainly liked a drink.

Probably grew and used it for ropes and clothes
weedobix is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:48 PM #4
MrBungle

MrBungle has a brilliant futureMrBungle has a brilliant futureMrBungle has a brilliant futureMrBungle has a brilliant futureMrBungle has a brilliant futureMrBungle has a brilliant futureMrBungle has a brilliant futureMrBungle has a brilliant futureMrBungle has a brilliant futureMrBungle has a brilliant futureMrBungle has a brilliant future
If they didn't smoke it, they definitely ate it
MrBungle is offline Quote

Old 08-03-2018, 06:50 PM #5
Iffy
Nil Illegitimus Carburundum

Iffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedobix View Post
i doubt it would be for smoking, you wouldn't want to smoke hemp. They certainly liked a drink.

Yes Hemp was used for centuries and definitely used for all manner of clothing, rope, string etc but it would have been strange for them not to have discovered what the females produced over those many years and as it was grown so widely. There is evidence of many ancient warriors smoking 'hemp' but I agree with you, it wouldn't have been the fibrous stuff used for everyday items. I believe they could well have developed a medicine from the females and may even have selected and bred certain strains for this purpose. So much ancient knowledge was lost to us, especially the Romano/British texts lost in the chaos which followed their departure and I find it hard to believe they were ignorant of cannabis resin but I'm only guessing

Peace and happy growing!
Regards,
Iffy

The Chronic Pain Club - a resource for us all!

My definition of an EXPERT; An 'EX' is a has-been & a 'SPURT' is a drip under pressure!

All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small.
Lao Tzu

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Iffy is offline Quote

Old 08-03-2018, 06:58 PM #6
Green Wolf

Yes, i too think that they have to have known about the medicinal and intoxicating effects. Although it is not mentioned in ancient texts such as the Voluspa.

They figured out how to eat a poisonous shark by leeching it in urine so it would be strange if they didnt infuse mead with something as fragrant as a few flowers

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:12 PM #7
Green Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedobix View Post

Female hemp flowers would probably taste pretty good to smoke. But pipes have never been found in viking settlements. So unlesd they used earth pipes they had no idea about smoking

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:05 PM #8
Ringodoggie

Ringodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivor
I don't know if they smoked it or not but they had to be high on something probably PCP or Meth.

You put 50 men in a boat the size of my house and have them ROW (OK, a little sailing) across the fucking ocean to North America to go into battle with a hard on.

If it was pot they were smoking..... I want that strain. LOL

Vikings were totally awesome.

Some of the best dressed warriors in history.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:26 PM #9
HookahsGarden

HookahsGarden is a jewel in the roughHookahsGarden is a jewel in the roughHookahsGarden is a jewel in the roughHookahsGarden is a jewel in the roughHookahsGarden is a jewel in the roughHookahsGarden is a jewel in the rough
You have to just assume that yes of course they were smoking it. one of their most important Commodities was hemp rope to use for their sails, ships , clothes. And many varieties of hemp are very flavorful , very fragrant. And I have smoked hemp, a landrace variety located off of Highway K in the state of Missouri, that gave you a great little uplifting happy Buzz for about 20 minutes the first time you smoked it.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:29 PM #10
Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow is a survivorStorm Shadow is a survivorStorm Shadow is a survivorStorm Shadow is a survivorStorm Shadow is a survivorStorm Shadow is a survivorStorm Shadow is a survivorStorm Shadow is a survivorStorm Shadow is a survivorStorm Shadow is a survivorStorm Shadow is a survivor
No Checks... Str8 Cash Homie...HOF Randy Moss smoked lots of Cannabis

2 members found this post helpful.