What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Large Pots Outdoors Question

T

Teddybrae

greetings all!

I am about to purchase some 1000L (200 gal) pots. they are 600mm (2 feet) deep.

Previously I have grown in 450 mm (18") deep pots and wonder if the plant will use the extra 150mm (6 inches) of soil available in the new pots ... or should I fill the first 150mm/6" with gravel and put soil in the top 450mm (18")?

Takes a lot of energy to mix soil so don't want to mix it if it won't produce results.

Respect to All!

Maybe not the in-depth answer your wanting so sorry for that but if it were me I would not fill the bottom 6inches with gravel. I would leave the top 6 inch’s of the pot empty instead, if anything. That way you have plenty of room to add things this year, next year and so on.. if you wanted too.. and I understand you are thinking of putting gravel for drainage reasons.. you don’t need it unless you make a soil mix with the consistency of mud which I’m sure your not doing.. yes the bottom may stay wet for a while but your plants and their roots will be fine.. as long as you have good drainage in your pot. It honestly sounds like you have a fabric pot and if so.. your FINE no gravel needed. This is my opinion tho..

And honestly if your soil mix is of high porosity I would instead of 6 inches of gravel put 6 inches of something something that’s hold water well roots will always find a drink when they are thirsty within a reasonable distance (my favorite for that) is humus. It doesn’t advertise for holding water but it DOES and breaks down slowly. adding to your soil.
If your soil mix holds water heavily. Add the bottom 6 inches with something that will wick away the moisture from above. Some promix’s will do this.
This is just me brain storming but honestly, do your thang man! I know I do! I do some of the most unorthodox things and I’ve had some great outcomes!

T

Teddybrae

Thanks KangarooKY and Switcher! not fabric but poly. I use forest soil which drains exceptionally well. have previously found no need for gravel on the bottom except to reduce labour of soil mixing.

Re leaving six inches on top ... These will be worm farms too and they will be constantly fed mulch of one good sort or another.

Cheers!

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
If you insist on filling the bags to the top and dont wanna mix that much soil, don't fill the bottom 6 inches with gravel...

Instead, fill it with old, cut tree branches and small firewood logs...

I can't think of what they call it, but there's websites that talk about building garden beds with tree branches put in trenches and covered with a foot or so of soil..

The theory is the wood slowly rots, (like on the forest floor) and gradually adds good nutrients to the soil above it as it decays...

T

Teddybrae

Thanks Bud! yes, I 've heard of this. best if you can get those corky, spongy-when-they -rot trees. Hmmm ....