What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ventilation Question (stupid)

VI86

So being an outdoor grower only so far, this is going to sound silly but is the only reason for using a filter on your exhaust is if you're concerned about smells or it's venting into another grow room???

I have no concerns about smell and am going to be trying to setup a simple one room (veg/swap light to flower etc.) setup. So in theory based on my needs wouldn't it be more important to filter my intake vent be it passive or active and not worry about the exhaust filter at all?

Would save me a nice chunk of money if so and I could surely make some kind of DIY passive filter.

Thanks cultivators

OakyJoe

OGJoe / Wiener und kein Allemann
Veteran
Intake gives you new air and the exhaust does his job aswell...
so u might could skip the filter but you need an in and exhaust for new fresh air :)

VI86

Oops I may have worded that poorly and made it sound like I didn't understand about circulating the air and stuff. I understand that concept, it's just every design and setup I see or vent kit on this .ca growlight site has a filter on their exhaust.

Yeah I definitely want an exhaust and will start with passive intake to reduce cost and see how it works.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
If you don't have to worry about smell, you won't need a carbon filter on your exhaust no.

Most growshops sell filters and fans seprate, if not, you can buy exhaust fans in a lot of other places. Home depot like stores, will most likely have what you need.

If your running closed hoods, it's a good idea to use a dust filter. This will keep the glass cleaner, and let thru more light. If not, you should be good.

Sargemilla

Must be nice to not worry about smell :D
Definitely you don't need a filter if you don't care about the smell. I suggest buying as much stuff as possible from non-weed growing shops. You can find almost everything at half or lower price ( niche costs :) ) You can buy vents from general home markets. I personally use a bathroom fan on my exhaust. I also recommend a dust filter for your intake (HEPA is pretty good)

Adding a filter on an exhaust will restrict airflow.

Long story short. Filtering air costs more money than moving air (and its louder too assuming that you want to move the same number of cubic feet of air)
Every bend in the pipe, use of flexible tubing, or restriction of any kind reduces airflow and must be overcome with the use of electricity.
If smell is of no concern, Use the largest furnace filter you can fit on the intakes and use the most economic fan on the exhaust (air moved vs electricity used). Keep your duct work rigid (not flex) wherever possible. Use 45 degree angles instead of 90s to decrease restriction. Two 45s with a short straight in between is far better than a hard 90.
Imagine going down a slide on the playground. One slide has two 45s and another slide has a 90 degree angle...

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
At the least you should filter the intakes:

picture.php

Keeps out the majority of potential contaminates.

Six weeks before and after.

GSWCali

Sounds like you got it down. If smell is no problem then no need on the exhaust. Dropped Cat is right, you should filter the intake to try and get the cleanest air possible for your plants.