What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to increase marijuana scent and flavour?

Chappi

Heat and lights cause terpenes to evaporate but it's not like they 'come back' when it gets dark. Harvesting earlier would make more sense if terpene preservation was your goal, doing it at lights out will have no effect.

Maybe it’s bro science but according to Ed this exactly what happens. Meh, I put them in the dark before harvest anyway.
attachment.php

Last edited:

DrDee

...so Chappi,
This is the science behind a 24 hour dark period before harvest I assume?

...or would an early morning (before lights on) harvest be just as good.
JD

Last edited:

DrDee

Hey Chappi,
Wanted to apologise about making a joke out of your Moon question. I'm just getting back into growing and forum activity and sometimes neglect to engage my brain before posting.

Is the lunar cycle thing more used by outdoor growers? Just seems to me that trichomes and plant maturity would hold priority over the moon...but if the moon is getting full about at the same time...well then cool. Do it.
JD

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
...so Chappi,
This is the science behind a 24 hour dark period before harvest I assume?

...or would an early morning (before lights on) harvest be just as good.
JD
Yes, which I believe works great in rooms which are too hot or light stressed. I believe in flowering at lower temps (max 72F at canopy level) and don't get the terp fade throughout the lights on period. A 24hr dark period doesn't produce anything 'extra' in the environment I prefer. ;)

clearheaded

I inject half way up the plant before harvest with watered down maple syrup aka sap. trichs double in size in 2 days and packs weight along with stronger smell and taste...gotta hit it just right tho in xylem. bypass roots and gives everything a plant needs concentrated 10ml per foot. move around the stem so all branches get hits.

mr.brunch

Veteran
Fuck smoking maple syrup :puke:

Best way to double your harvest is to grow twice as many plants

Douglas.Curtis

Non-cannabinoid sugar injection is not my idea of enhancing the "natural" cannabinoids and terpenes of cannabis. You can get a lot of extra smell and flavor from 1ml+/gal of floralicious+ and a crapload of other products, but they're not flavors and smells of cannabis.

Interesting though. I wouldn't mind that with watermelon or some other food plants ;)

gmanwho

Veteran
**************************CURB ALERT*****************************

420 high st
Springfield Mass.

Half used bag of Jacks professional hydroponics 5-11-26
Half bag of jacks Cal-nit

no... but in all seriousness an bs aside. i really felt it was a bad product to use to grow cannabis. Good enough to grow decent plants in a non demanding environment. Def needs More amendments like mag cal edta kelp an fulvics ewc teas would help added to the program.

maybe its the high intensity lighting an how most of are pushing the lighting envelope. ?

plants where so brittle. with all the training i do to the plant things would be brittle an often snap. then when using the plants as donors to take make clones, it made things even worse. i would have more clone failures due to the moms not being as healthy. my help for 10+ years would agree.

honestly.

on another note I cant reference atm where i was reading, the chloride levels in the jacks cal nit can get out of control. i believe the sodium was off the charts as well. it was suggested to use the Yara cal nit as it contained less or no chloride.

unfortunately chloride or sodium levels are not on the label. these are things we need to send out for solution analysis.

the chloride levels in GH calimagic are also high. its fine when use 3 mills per gal. but push the plants limit an up the feeding levels then these unused minerals ( and or chloride an sodium levels) build in the root zone, nutrient solution (if not dtw), and in the stem and the leaf tissue. eventually causing major leaf scorching which looked like text book potassium def. that problem plagued me for well into a year. eventually stopping jacks an cal nit. and removing gh cali magic as my additional cal an mag choice. i now mix a stock solution part yara calcium nitrate, dissolivne ECA10 . then for a magnesium stock solution , it is a mix of magnesium nitrate & magnesium sulfate, and a small amount of iron edta. replicating a one part cal mag, but without the calcium chloride.

Only after a nutrient solution analysis these things became more apparent.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Apart from the sun, the Moon and Saturn have the greatest effect on life on earth. I doubt Saturn has much to do with Terpenes though.

I definitely think I'm my own worst enemy by trying to get more quantity out of my plants instead of letting them do 100% what they want..

gmanwho

Veteran
another nute

another nute

If wanting to keep to mainly powder nutrients.... greenleaf nutrients Megacrop might be worth a shot. they are offering a free 230g trial, but i think u gotta pay for shipping.

Their nutrient profile looks good, other then the higher N. lots of chelated ca mag , all the trace nutrients & aminos and sea kelp one would seek, that jacks lacks!!

my thoughts already on the high n for mid late flower are lowering the base, an then using a PK booster about 100ppm or .2 ec.

with my discount, i pay $1300 for 100lbs of Veg bloom HD. with no discount the Greenleaf megacrop 100lbs with shipping would be $352.

at $352 for 100lbs that price is right about what jacks cal nit an professional would be.

ordered some as a trial..

gmanwho

Veteran
Terpenes are directly corelated with rich humus soil bioactivity and beneficial
bacteries...

https://www.medicinalgenomics.com/microbes-and-terpenes/

agreed. an trace minerals. excellent link dog star!! im gonna have to put some time aside to read further

i forget, dont fungi feed on fulvic or amino acids? i remember watching a video on a professor talking about why not to add molasses to teas as you can brew unwanted bacteria's as well. an the suggestion was to use Fulvic powder at like 1 oz to 12 gallons. the molasses would create spikes of colonization an if or when it ran out, the micro heard would collapse. the fastest to colonize would take over, and the tea wasnt as well rounded so to say... something to that effect

but then add salt based nutrients like this thread is about, an some of these bacteria or fungi will not colonize.

Douglas.Curtis

but then add salt based nutrients like this thread is about
I'm hoping you realize "salt based" does not mean table salt or other chlorides. There's a huge misconception in the cannabis growing community about refined mineral based nutrients being referred to as 'salts.' Yes, they're 'salt' forms of elements refined from minerals, minus the synthesized nitrogen in some. They're also plant available forms of natural elements.

Just clarifying for the newer growers, since lack of clarity can be confusing when you first start out. :)

MedResearcher

Veteran
Sort of tangent to the thread. As well I can't confirm it 100%. Although it was interesting and believable to me.

Recently had a hydro store owner tell me that Growmore, actually supplies a decent amount of the more canna targeted hydro fertilizer brands with their fertilizer. They simply order from Growmore, bottle it, label it, and increase the price.

Veg n Bloom, was one of the companies he mentioned.

Growmore is also really great, at copying profiles and mixs that are popular. There is a Growmore high mag/sulfur recipe that is almost exactly the same as Jacks, plus some extra supplement stuff included. They also have somewhat recently copied the Dr Earth 5-5-5 dry organic blend. Its sort of funny because it comes in a blue Growmore bag, so you think dirty synthetics, but its organic amendments.

I have been using some Jacks lately. It dissolves very poorly imo. If you make a stock solution, you can get it dissolved, but it should not be that hard. When the bag runs out, I am going to try out the Growmore version. My past experience with Growmore synthetics, they dissolve very fast and well. They have been making fertilizer for a very long time, they do it well.

I prefer organic, especially outdoors. I also do not promote or am not down with people irrigating tons and tons of synthetic fertilizer near creeks or rivers. Indoor, hydro, synthetic has its place. With the world becoming more and more crowded, and the demand for food rising, I think synthetic hydro has its place in urban environments. Small local organic farms are fantastic, although I am skeptical if it is feasible to feed the entire world like that.

Genetics are huge in flavor. I have seen organic snobs drool over cheap synthetic pot when the genetics are really special. Grow bland genetics, with cheap synthetics, over fertilize, dry fast, you are going to have really poor "beasters" style smoke.

Ramble on,
Mr^^

I switched from HPS to LED and taste and smell improved. Full light spectrum and cooler temps. Whole plant hanging/drying with a dry trim.

Dog Star

Veteran
agreed. an trace minerals. excellent link dog star!! im gonna have to put some time aside to read further

i forget, dont fungi feed on fulvic or amino acids? i remember watching a video on a professor talking about why not to add molasses to teas as you can brew unwanted bacteria's as well. an the suggestion was to use Fulvic powder at like 1 oz to 12 gallons. the molasses would create spikes of colonization an if or when it ran out, the micro heard would collapse. the fastest to colonize would take over, and the tea wasnt as well rounded so to say... something to that effect

but then add salt based nutrients like this thread is about, an some of these bacteria or fungi will not colonize.

Funghi and microlife is included both... anyway they work together
in providing a better health to plant and off course later we have
as result much more quality of final product...

same rule for veggies,other fruits or medical plants,good soil
and rich bioactive microlife is all that we ever need to have
best of a best..

Latest posts

Latest posts