What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Buying silver

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
They're easy to make but require a few weeks startup time. UNLESS you use

SILVER

as a sterilant. This has actually been tried on a large scale, in Russia I think, back in the day.

There are only 12 troy ounces in a troy pound. If the math is still bad, you're at the wrong retailer.
I have bought both gold and silver online and locally and I got 16 oz/lb every time. But I looked it up and 12 oz is a troy oz....I am confused.

Last edited:

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
So I'm kinda liking the idea of buying some precious metals, like gold and silver, just to have on hand. I'm not a doomsday prepper, and I don't think our currencies are tanking or something and we'll need to rely on barter and precious materials for trade. But, it'd be nice to have some sweet pure silver coins. I could put them real cool like in my Pelican gun cases and the such. Why not? I have a ton of old silver coins, like pre-65 stuff, but I'd like that pure silver too.

Any advice? If you try to Google this kind of stuff you just get all the worst marketing ploys known to man. The US Mint website is way more expensive than everyone else, as far as I could tell. But please tell me if you know anywhere to buy pure silver at the best price! I don't care if it's a coin, bullion, scrap, etc. Just pure 99.9%.

APMEX

buy a sealed tube of Silver Eagles

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
for fractional gold, check out Mexican pesos from the 2 peso on up…

also French roosters , Krugerrand s , Sovereigns , Australian , and Canada all come in fractional gold and are recognized worldwide

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
Every time ....in the red tube.... junk silver was loose quarters and half dollars.

the sealed bags are also good to keep on hand…dimes , quarters and half dollars are very tradable

i paid for someone’s funeral with silver and gold…the undertaker knows

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
the sealed bags are also good to keep on hand…dimes , quarters and half dollars are very tradable

i paid for someone’s funeral with silver and gold…the undertaker knows
I am saving mine until all hell breaks loose.....I hope my daughter ends up with them.

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
It’s wise, especially nowadays, to have an underground vault in your home. They’re not all that expensive and no one can see where it’s located and unless you open up your mouth no one will know you have it… they come in all different sizes and shapes but it’s best to do it during new construction time… it’s not that difficult to have one installed in an existing slab. I highly recommend it, especially when you consider the value of what you’re going to be putting in there. If you keep assets in a bank vault or safety deposit box you are unable to touch it unless the bank lets you. Give that some thought.

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
It’s wise, especially nowadays, to have an underground vault in your home. They’re not all that expensive and no one can see where it’s located and unless you open up your mouth no one will know you have it… they come in all different sizes and shapes but it’s best to do it during new construction time… it’s not that difficult to have one installed in an existing slab. I highly recommend it, especially when you consider the value of what you’re going to be putting in there. If you keep assets in a bank vault or safety deposit box you are unable to touch it unless the bank lets you. Give that some thought.

lots of ways to store ones pm’s

i like schedule 40 pvc 4” diameter with caps on the ends and buried in a secret place ….like a pirate

it does not take much space for a pound or two of gold to fit inside one of those tubes…

IMG_8405.jpeg

IMG_8406.jpeg

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
ya don't think the alphabet boys will have ground penetrating radar...lots of people use the pvc and dessicant, I've not gone that far yet...

brickweeder

Bury silver in the ground and retrieve it in 30 years so that you can sell it at future spot, which will likely be less than $25 nominal in future USD, assuming past is prologue.

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
ya don't think the alphabet boys will have ground penetrating radar...lots of people use the pvc and dessicant, I've not gone that far yet...

it is all irrelevant to me…I was taking my stash out to an island on a very deep lake and I hit a log which sank the boat

I barely was able to make it back to shore , it was a total loss

Lake Crescent measured in at 624 feet deep

IMG_8408.jpeg

IMG_8407.jpeg

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Bury silver in the ground and retrieve it in 30 years so that you can sell it at future spot, which will likely be less than $25 nominal in future USD, assuming past is prologue.
What,,,,,I am in my mid 70's .....in 30 years i won't worry about money.....But if I did have a pot to piss in.....bet I could fill it up.

brickweeder

What,,,,,I am in my mid 70's .....in 30 years i won't worry about money.....But if I did have a pot to piss in.....bet I could fill it up.
I hope you didn't buy silver in your 30's, cuz then you'd probably be underwater. Silver is one of the few things in life that sells for up to 50% less than its peak prices from the early 80's...

Latest posts

Latest posts