What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Marijuana Regulators Target Home Cultivation

shaggyballs

Veteran
In my SIG you will see a link to a thread called Vote no to legalize cannabis or else!
In this thread I state home growing in legalized states will soon be challenged and it has been.
Many argued that this was impossible but now it has become a reality.
The voice of the people must be heard!
Be carefull what you vote for!

Marijuana Regulators Target Home Cultivation
Since its founding, NORML has advocated that statewide legalization efforts – whether through a ballot initiative or using the legislative process – should ideally include provisions that permit and protect the act of home cultivation by marijuana consumers. This advocacy has resulted in more than 16 states now allowing home cultivation, including in six of the eight voter-initiated measures passed in 2016.

But although there has been a tremendous amount of progress on this issue, it appears that home cultivation is now at risk in several municipalities across Colorado and California. Local and state lawmakers in both jurisdictions are revisiting the issue and are moving toward unnecessarily limiting adult’s home cultivation rights.

Most recently, representatives with Denver’s Office of Marijuana Policy revealed a plan to, “limit unlicensed recreational and medical grows in private residences,” throughout the city of Denver. This decision came after months of closed-door meetings between regulators and leading marijuana industry interests such as the Marijuana Industry Group (MIG); which together, form what’s being called the, “Non-Licensed Marijuana Grows Inspection Team.”

Although there has been little to no mention of specific details regarding this proposed program, many are anticipating the new regulations to resemble those that have come under fire in Indian Wells, California. In that city, lawmakers are pushing for regulations mandating that anyone who wishes to cultivate marijuana in their home must purchase an annual permit and must also allow inspectors into their residence. This amounts to an absolutely unnecessary burden for responsible, law-abiding citizens.

In recent days, Denver NORML became inundated with emails, messages and comments on social media demanding a response to what many believe is a blatant overreach by city government officials. In response, members of Denver NORML, led by Executive Director, Jordan Person, began mobilizing volunteers to contact members of the Denver City Council with the goal of defending the rights and privacy of marijuana consumers in the city of Denver.

“With all of the uncertainty we are expecting in 2017 at both the local and state level our goal at Denver NORML is to help maintain our rights as residents of Colorado to grow in our homes,” said Person. “We will keep our members and supporters informed and part of the conversation as it happens.”

While it’s obvious that there’s a tremendous amount of work that goes into regulating Colorado’s legal marijuana industry, most marijuana consumers would never support any effort that would attempt to bring similar regulations into the privacy of their homes. Not to mention the fact that the creation of a task force or any other bureaucratic process to approve and/or oversee the cultivation of marijuana in a private residence amounts to a severe misuse of tax dollars and violation of privacy when those limited resources could be dedicated to combating actual problems in our communities.

Without providing any data points related to the correlation between home cultivation and out-of-state diversion, those advocating for tighter regulations deserve to fail in their attempt to convince marijuana consumers that allowing regular visits from government officials in their homes is a good idea. Adults who brew their own beer are not subject to inspections by the state and neither should those who choose to grow personal use quantities of marijuana. Furthermore, criminalizing the personal cultivation of marijuana is an arbitrary prohibition that has absolutely no basis in public safety. Therefore NORML will continue to support the right of individuals to grow their own marijuana as an alternative to purchasing it from licensed commercial producers.

To join the fight to protect home cultivation, check out NORML’s action page by visiting Take Action or for more information, please email Chapters@NORML.org.

All comments welcome.
Peace and hippy stuff ya'll
Shag

armedoldhippy

Veteran
This amounts to an absolutely unnecessary burden for responsible, law-abiding citizens.
nope. if you are growing indoors, you will need to have all of the electrical work inspected. it is unreasonable to let folks burn down their homes/neighbors homes/endanger firefighters etc because they consider it a "burden"...:tiphat: i will walk out on a fairly safe limb here & say that i think most folks would cheerfully pay a reasonable fee for a permit to legally grow their own weed in their own house. this is, of course, not counting the alarmingly high % of people that seem to think that freedom means "no rules ever, FTW!":laughing:

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I was one of those guys who got flamed for mentioning this consequence before legality unfolded trying to get people to push for some assurances in those laws to preserve this as a right

I guess I should play the lotto I get so lucky when it comes to predicting human nature

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
Need to have all electrical work inspected!?!

Wasn't the wiring in my house inspected by the city when it was built?

Shouldnt ballasts'n shit already be UL certified?

WTF!

I think if you were a old enough to have been a hippy, then your age coupled with probable brain damage, more than likely stemming from LSD abuse during the "summer of love" should disqualify you from owning a gun! You should at least be forced to surrender your flintlock blunderbuss until your home is thoroughly inspected for any possible weapons caches, only then will you be allowed to submit youself for testing in order to regain your second amendment rights!

How do you feel about that opinion "ancient braindeadhead with a musket"?

Or are you one of those that think 2nd amendment means no rules and anything goes?

Truth is you live in Tennessee and that free loving power to the people hippy you use to see in the mirror is long gone. All that remains is bitter old man who's stuck in fuckin Tennessee! Face it.... your consumed with jealousy because your favorite website is full of posts by people living in awesome places, smoking awesome weed and since you made the genius decision to live in a state as retarded as the one you chose and you know you'll probably never to get to experience the same kind of freedom as those of us who chose not to live in such a stupid place as you did and it eats you up inside! So much so that your not afraid to expose yourself to be the enemy you are! You've turned into THE MAN! Your on their side now viejo! Your suspect! A two face! A traitor! A backstabber! A double crosser! In my book..... your not to be trusted! Your a threat to every member on this website! A cancer trying to eat us away from the inside. A cancer that needs to be cut the fuk out and flushed down the toilet!

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I could give a rats ass about inspection. It is Monsanto making it illegal for anyone but them growing, is what I worry about. How many people have seen tobacco seeds, or know people getting away growing it. Just like alcohol. They will spend $20,000.00 to bust someone making a couple of grand in booze a year. Just ballparking, can not back the numbers, but get the point.

igrowone

Veteran
interested in seeing how this plays out in court
seems like any indoor plant growing under lights would have to be treated similarly
this may be a large fail for the forces of evil that want to roll backwards

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I specifically prepared to work in some of the proposed sectors that would grow out of this

licensing etc

rolandomota

O no i will vote no in my state if it comes up for a vote. I still want to thrown in jail or put on probation and have no chance of growing my own and paying having to pay ridiculous fines not to mention have a criminal record for life thats what i want. I want to get caught with 4 grams i make of hash and get up to 99 years in jail thats what i want. Just like those rappers that got arrested for hosting a hash smokeout in texas yup thats what i want

shaggyballs

Veteran
O no i will vote no in my state if it comes up for a vote. I still want to thrown in jail or put on probation and have no chance of growing my own and paying having to pay ridiculous fines not to mention have a criminal record for life thats what i want. I want to get caught with 4 grams i make of hash and get up to 99 years in jail thats what i want. Just like those rappers that got arrested for hosting a hash smokeout in texas yup thats what i want

Bro, there are other ways to decriminalize cannabis possession!
Pseudo-legalization is definitely not the only way.
Many other non-legal states are starting to ease prosecution for possession as we speak.
You must realize the fact that people are still being jailed for cannabis is states where recreational is legal.

The problem I see most often is people want to jump on the first bandwagon they come across and this is a fundamental mistake in my opinion.
Be careful what you wish for and be more careful what you vote for.
In other words be sure you know exactly what it is you are voting for before you say "vote yes" for it.

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway
This amounts to an absolutely unnecessary burden for responsible, law-abiding citizens.
nope. if you are growing indoors, you will need to have all of the electrical work inspected. it is unreasonable to let folks burn down their homes/neighbors homes/endanger firefighters etc because they consider it a "burden"...:tiphat: i will walk out on a fairly safe limb here & say that i think most folks would cheerfully pay a reasonable fee for a permit to legally grow their own weed in their own house. this is, of course, not counting the alarmingly high % of people that seem to think that freedom means "no rules ever, FTW!":laughing:

i disagree.
I don't need to buy a permit to grow any other indoor plant or to set up a hydroponic vegetable garden in my house. Why should it be different just because it's weed?
Stupid is as stupid does so if people are stupid in how they set up thier grow.... well.... we know we can't fix stupid LOL

While I agree that folks should do it right when it comes to building grow rooms, observing local building codes ect ect but to have a system in place where a cannabis grower has to pay a yearly fee or permit to have that grow..... I call bullshit.
These are ploys by the cannabis industry to prevent every day joe from growing his own. Every at home grower is taking from the bottom line of every cannabis growing/selling business, legal ones and illegal ones. The drug dealer can't do bugger all but find new customers when his regulars start growing thier own. Big Cannabis will stop at all costs and use government regulation and law enforcement to get thier control over the dollars in the industry. There's no dollars without customers so they must lobby to make at home growing as difficult as possible.
anyone who doesn't see this must have thier head in the sand. I don't say that to insult anyone directly, it's just my belief.

I don't need a permit to go to the grow store, buy a full hydro system and related hardware, plug it all in , wire it all up, hit the switches and plant 100 tomato seeds.
Why should legal weed be any different?

shaggyballs

Veteran
i disagree.
I don't need to buy a permit to grow any other indoor plant or to set up a hydroponic vegetable garden in my house. Why should it be different just because it's weed?
Stupid is as stupid does so if people are stupid in how they set up thier grow.... well.... we know we can't fix stupid LOL

While I agree that folks should do it right when it comes to building grow rooms, observing local building codes ect ect but to have a system in place where a cannabis grower has to pay a yearly fee or permit to have that grow..... I call bullshit.
These are ploys by the cannabis industry to prevent every day joe from growing his own. Every at home grower is taking from the bottom line of every cannabis growing/selling business, legal ones and illegal ones. The drug dealer can't do bugger all but find new customers when his regulars start growing thier own. Big Cannabis will stop at all costs and use government regulation and law enforcement to get thier control over the dollars in the industry. There's no dollars without customers so they must lobby to make at home growing as difficult as possible.
anyone who doesn't see this must have thier head in the sand. I don't say that to insult anyone directly, it's just my belief.

I don't need a permit to go to the grow store, buy a full hydro system and related hardware, plug it all in , wire it all up, hit the switches and plant 100 tomato seeds.

Well stated Tom, very well stated!:tiphat:

igrowone

Veteran
the point of this thread has something to be desired
because some cannabis hating politician/slime tries to push back progress, it means stop voting for improved law?
and these laws were improved laws
the cannabis haters are going to keep hating, it's what they do, and will use all tools at their disposal

oldchuck

Veteran

WTF!

I think if you were a old enough to have been a hippy, then your age coupled with probable brain damage, more than likely stemming from LSD abuse during the "summer of love" should disqualify you from owning a gun! You should at least be forced to surrender your flintlock blunderbuss until your home is thoroughly inspected for any possible weapons caches, only then will you be allowed to submit youself for testing in order to regain your second amendment rights!

Or are you one of those that think 2nd amendment means no rules and anything goes?

Truth is you live in Tennessee and that free loving power to the people hippy you use to see in the mirror is long gone. All that remains is bitter old man who's stuck in fuckin Tennessee! Face it.... your consumed with jealousy because your favorite website is full of posts by people living in awesome places, smoking awesome weed and since you made the genius decision to live in a state as retarded as the one you chose and you know you'll probably never to get to experience the same kind of freedom as those of us who chose not to live in such a stupid place as you did and it eats you up inside! So much so that your not afraid to expose yourself to be the enemy you are! You've turned into THE MAN! Your on their side now viejo! Your suspect! A two face! A traitor! A backstabber! A double crosser! In my book..... your not to be trusted! Your a threat to every member on this website! A cancer trying to eat us away from the inside. A cancer that needs to be cut the fuk out and flushed down the toilet!

Are you talking to me, angry young man? Sounds like it. Oh no, you are angry at old hippies from Tennessee and I'm just an old hippie from Vermont who happens to agree with him.

You might be surprised at the sort of people who live in our more repressive states. In regard to Tennessee I suggest you look up "The Farm," an old hippie enterprise if there ever was one.

armedoldhippy

Veteran

WTF!

:laughing::laughing::laughing::tiphat:

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
i disagree.

I too couldn't have said it any better tom.

meadowman

where's that guy that posted a big middle finger to everyone that wouldn't vote for legalization???? anyone that didn't see this coming needs a check-up from the neck-up!

armedoldhippy

Veteran
if one is only doing a "plug & play" small system, your electric work IS safe. since nearly everyone on here seems to think there should be no limits on the size of your grow (and i agree) then no, your electric work probably is NOT strong enough. very few homes are set up with 220 service for anything but your stove/range, & possibly a freezer. if you are a licensed electrician (or have one helping you), then i support your right to re-wire your home; you probably do not want it to burn nor that of your neighbor if the flames spread. but most folks have no business fucking around with that kind of current. JMHO and, for the record, i could give a big fuck what anyone thinks. safety first ...:tiphat:

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
the point of this thread has something to be desired
because some cannabis hating politician/slime tries to push back progress, it means stop voting for improved law?
and these laws were improved laws
the cannabis haters are going to keep hating, it's what they do, and will use all tools at their disposal

I think that the average voter has to be forward thinking enough to vote in laws that preserve their rights opposed to ones that extend right to select demographics

and I don't have a problem with bueracracy, government or regulations as long as they are being used to serve the people and not a select few people and their pockets

democracy works best when it is treated as one

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
i disagree.

there is a big difference between plugging in a ul listed lamp into a socket installed to code and running your own breaker box to run an 8 k grow

there are fire concerns as well

are they valid enough to require licensing?

is it an apartment in a 100 unit building in the city that can take out 100's of lives with a mistake or a house in the boonies an hour from the neighbors?

If people's lives are compromised because someone else wants to grow that seems unreasonable as well

just a lil devils advocate