What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mold and Seeds

so i'm trying to germ some...gotta be 22 years old now...seeds.
they keep getting moldy after like 2 days and i've been just tossing em out when they get moldy. but last try i decided to crack one or two open to see how rotted they are inside, but this looks perfectly fine. so my question is if the mold isn't what's preventing em from growing further, or maybe it is? how can i get them past this stage and induce them to grow? this last handful i soaked in 3% h2o2(hydrogen peroxide) for about 36 hours hoping it would kill whatever mold and fungus was on the seed shells, then i poured it off and left em in this bottle cap inside my heated seed starting greenhouse. after a further 12 hours i come back to find mold on them all.

any suggestions on what to use to kill the mold on the seeds, and what can i do to get them to continue sprouting?

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

MicroRoy

I hope you can find the answer.

I have never seen mold on seeds.

May I ask how they were stored?

CoCoSativas

That's a weird one maybe the mom had pm and maybe that's what you are seeing. Not that I've seen such a thing happen but speculation

MicroRoy

Don't know.

Maybe you could put them in paper for a while with some anti fungal foot powder.

The seed starting green house should be skipped. Start them in the open with a small fan blowing on them.

i soaked the last batch , not as old, maybe 8 years old in a bleach solution. i'll see how this one goes. it's too cold in here to not use the heated mat. maybe i'll leave the lid off next time.

CoCoSativas

Hey it just hit me dude. I grow in coco. Coco contains trichs derma which would likely eat that mold off the seed. I germ direct in coco give that a try maybe that will work

CoCoSativas

i'll try that. in fact i think i'm going to grab the ones i didn't throw away and bury em and see what happens.

It dawned on me as I was leaving the thread. It's a major reason I use coco. It's bad ass stuff a mold that eats bad mold. Don't ever put peroxide in coco or some real nasty shit seems to move in some freaky ass green mold...

Terpz

It looks like freezer burn? Im sure you had the seeds out of the freezer long enough that the little frozen crystals would have melted, yeah? You can wash seeds for 5mins in a 10% hydrogen peroxide solution.