What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Freezing water on roots

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
When cannabis is grown first you grow it vegetatively, then it switches gears and shows sex and flowers, then it changes gears at the end of flowering and goes into frost mode at the very end of flowering. Much of the resin content is made in frost mode.
I am not saying freezing water does do this faster or better, I am pointing out that much resin is put on the last few weeks in many varieties.
-SamS

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good point I guess, I have only grown a few sativas and they seem to take longer but most of my high end indica plants are beginning frosting up like 3-4 weeks in. So my experience is extremely limited to what I have grown. I just reckon a trichrome is no use without time it takes to build up thc level, in my mind. Making an assumption that it does work, which i am in the doubtful category as long as we are talking about a quick freeze flush at the end.

I agree that levels of stress mid to late flowering produce more resin though. I guess maybe flushing for a few weeks with ice water we may be mimicking the cold rains of the fall before the winter, telling the plant its time to shit or get of the pot reproductively, heh,

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The strains that put out incredible resin at peak flower are drug strains that show responses to super lumen stress or stimuli and put out another layer of resin as a UV protector in "Frost Mode" to help protect the chloroplast, this trait is ideal for cannabis in arid continents and for indoor production, when the stress factor plays its role at week 6-7 right before "frost Mode' you don't get sinsemilla however you get nanners and the crop is ruined. Only true/pure pistillate females xx xx do this "frost Mode" sam,

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I grow in a protected unheated shelter Sam which uses lights to control day length and it gets very cold in the winter. So much so that varieties that are susceptible to the cold won't bud up but will still use small amounts of nutriment and potosynshtate to keep alive although not able to make sinsemilla in some instances they still are able of perform life functions like propagation of the next generation. My pots often get down to 3c and even below that which is freezing point. Some plants tolerate this extreme conditioning and some do as above Sam. They all grow shit weed compared to the crystal coated indoor grown.

Makes sense to me, cold is not a friend to growing or flowering Cannabis in my experience, but it may be effective just the last few weeks of flowering to increase resin in some varieties?
Anyway that is what I want to know...
-SamS

I think that it is a hoax and I haven't a plant to test it on or a GC to give you an accurate set of figures for analysis. Having said that boiling water won't make more resin and neither will a dying room. Plant processes require stimuli to promote growth responses.

This is NLD/WLD and 50-50's

What answers did you desire from page 1.

I have data, I got no GC Sam.

I notice the strugglers in cold environments that pull through have a lower flower to leaf ratio compared to the same clone in "Perfect conditions'.

Tester:....................... . Dave
Number of Clones...........3 varieties of 6 clones of each
WLD, NLD, WLD/NLD.......^^^
Controls untreated?.........photoperiod & dayclock
Cold water time period.. whole cycle
Increased Colors.......Yes functioning plants & non functioning plants showed nutrient problems from lockout and some were paler
reduced yield............yes & no
Increased resin.........no
Intersex?.................Yes
extra dark hrs?.........no (See above)
X
I added your info to the first page post.
-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
The strains that put out incredible resin at peak flower are drug strains that show responses to super lumen stress or stimuli and put out another layer of resin as a UV protector in "Frost Mode" to help protect the chloroplast, this trait is ideal for cannabis in arid continents and for indoor production, when the stress factor plays its role at week 6-7 right before "frost Mode' you don't get sinsemilla however you get nanners and the crop is ruined. Only true/pure pistillate females xx xx do this "frost Mode" sam,

I find high lumins are needed for veg and flowering to get big plants and big buds, as for resin production I find lower buds shaded by the plant often have more resin, not bigger buds, more resin. You see the same under lights where often the buds closest to the lights do not want to fully frost, because of the light and heat, they want to keep making flowers and white hairs, not fully frost out.
As for only pure females doing frost mode, I have not seen it. I have intersex clones that frost as good as females that have never shown intersex traits ever. I do not think intersex plants should be used for breeding without extensive selections to try and first reduce or better eliminate intersex from the materials to be used.
My Durban Poison was so intersexed when I got the first seeds I almost tossed the whole batch in the trash ( every plant was intersexed). I saved them only because they were so early, earlier then anything else of drug Cannabis I had. With 4-5 years of large grow outs and very very heavy selections I reduced the intersex incidence to a very small minority of the plants. I bet with bigger grow outs and heavier selection, and by using male and female DP clones that were intersex free I could of done a complete job but I did not use clones then and it was a lot of work to get a small improvement, so I was pretty happy with what I did.
I got rid of 99% of the problems. Anyway DP is a variety that does frost well at the end and has intersex at least a bit. I never saw any differences in resin amounts between all female DP's or DP's with a male nanner or two on the tips at the end.
-SamS

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Please post the details so all can see if possible. This is interesting:)

Here in scandinavia we have some extremely fast indicas with sativaleafs and airy buds and even some dense nugget strains that can finnish in a 4-5 month window from seed. up to latitude 64 in finnland i believe.
I believe most of them have afghan or lebanese genetics from the 70s
Some are even semi autoflowering as early as 17-19 hours daylight. Some can yield 300 g+ in that short a window and they dont seem to mind cold dry weather. Anyone know where these genes could come from?

Nepalese seeds brought home by hippies .
Some Siberian Ruderalis in the mix too I have heard .

Talk to Esben for more info .

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
Ive used this method during flush, just about every grow for the last 6 years.
I flush with ice cold water and it shocks the roots. The plant then reacts by creating an extra layer of trichomes to protect the plant from the winter cold. It also has an effect on the color of the leaves. Turning them purple or even black over a 14 day period.
The last 3 days I leave them in the complete darkness, then harvest.

Some genetics Ive found to not really react to the cold and they finished with the same amount of crystals with no visible results.
Some others however, exploded with serious trichome production, and the flavor of the terpenes increased exponentially.
Mainly -
This is done to indoor plants for the express purpose of mimicking outdoor quality in the terpene profile.

The drawback to this is that it shocks the plants. LOL. The very thing that makes them explode with trichomes is the very thing that keeps the plant from hardening off and plumping up the way they should the last 2 weeks.
I now only do it to long flowering sativa dom plants, that have airy buds and intense trichome production. This seems to be the best application for this kinda technique.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Ive used this method during flush, just about every grow for the last 6 years.
I flush with ice cold water and it shocks the roots. The plant then reacts by creating an extra layer of trichomes to protect the plant from the winter cold. It also has an effect on the color of the leaves. Turning them purple or even black over a 14 day period.
The last 3 days I leave them in the complete darkness, then harvest.

Some genetics Ive found to not really react to the cold and they finished with the same amount of crystals with no visible results.
Some others however, exploded with serious trichome production, and the flavor of the terpenes increased exponentially.
Mainly -
This is done to indoor plants for the express purpose of mimicking outdoor quality in the terpene profile.

The drawback to this is that it shocks the plants. LOL. The very thing that makes them explode with trichomes is the very thing that keeps the plant from hardening off and plumping up the way they should the last 2 weeks.
I now only do it to long flowering sativa dom plants, that have airy buds and intense trichome production. This seems to be the best application for this kinda technique.
Can you add any other data and I will post them on page one.

Tester:....................... ODW
Number of Clones...........??, for 6 yrs
WLD, NLD, WLD/NLD.......???
Controls plants untreated?..??
Cold water time period...two weeks
Increased Colors..........yes
reduced yield..............?
Increased resin...........yes
Intersex?...................?
extra dark hrs?.........72hs at end

Thanks,
-SamS

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
Can you add any other data and I will post them on page one.

Tester:....................... ODW
Number of Clones...........seeds/clones, for 6 yrs
WLD, NLD, WLD/NLD.......???
Controls plants untreated?.. strain dependant
Cold water time period...two weeks
Increased Colors..........yes
reduced yield..............on indica dom. sativa doms no.
Increased resin...........yes
Intersex?...................no
extra dark hrs?.........72hs at end

Thanks,
-SamS

There you go Sam.

powhound420

Certain places in Afghanistan and Pakistan do the same due to the localilty of Glaciers, and time of season. Tasted the difference over there. Mind you, being that high, and also in the mountains with nature, maybe the view effected my buzz to higher levels.lol

Fed quite a few of my ladies iced cold water in last week of flush. Cant say Ive seen any damage, but saying that, i havent got or tried any of the so called 'elite strains', which could be classed sometimes as more 'panicky' plants. I wouldnt be surprised if some of them kinda give in to the environmental stress.

Im running mostly afghan genetics from back home. my ladies can handle the iced cold water no problem.Not sure on other strains though. would love to see some experiments / research on the topic. Back home, they say the best hash comes from plants which have been on the glacial water

Hope that helps.
Good luck either way, and have a happy harvest.
I always lik ed growing the name brand strains. Strongerhealthier not those watered down f1hybrid that burn an mu
That everyone's pushing now a days