What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Freezing water on roots

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I have heard of this but to bring out purple not to bring out more resin. I know it works well on gods gift. A friend of mine just tried it and that gift went completely purp with like 4 days of ice water to roots.

That makes sense to me. Does the plant freak out or do they ignore the cold and keep growing?
-SamS

FlaDankster

Veteran
Cold air seems a bit more plausible than ice cold water in the root zone.Ice cold water in the root zone sounds some what scary to me.

What kind of water temps are you speaking Sam?Water with a bit of ice in it.....water that's about to freeze.....ice that is defrosting?I would presume that there is some kind of cut off point on what is cold enough and what is TOO cold.

Interesting to say the least.Hope you can gather some info to share with us Sam.Respect.

FD

HUGE

Veteran
That makes sense to me. Does the plant freak out or do they ignore the cold and keep growing?
-SamS

It was done the last days of the plants life so it wasn't doingmoch growing at that point anyway. Just semmed do darkn up quickly with the cold water. I'm assuming this is similar to the 48hrs lights off before chop. No light mans less heat could mean more colors.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Ive flushed with 50 degree water for the last week... some decent Bro Science to say the least... All I noticed was P getting locked out and colors emerging that would normally take an extra week of plain water to bring out... it also reduced the Yield

Ive tried it to a wide variety of genetics...and its only worth it on strains that change colors and your doing it for bag appeal to fools

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Thanks that is interesting, reduced yield and changing colors, lik eI might expect. But no increase in resin, what a drag, hey?
-SamS
I am still waiting for more people that get serious resin increase for sure from cold water on the roots.
Preferably with two identical clones one treated with cold one not. Then we will have an idea if it works on that clone or not, at least.
-SamS

Ive flushed with 50 degree water for the last week... some decent Bro Science to say the least... All I noticed was P getting locked out and colors emerging that would normally take an extra week of plain water to bring out... it also reduced the Yield

Ive tried it to a wide variety of genetics...and its only worth it on strains that change colors and your doing it for bag appeal to fools

pinkus

Veteran
I've done it, mostly because I had ice from RO water melted in a cooler and It was the end of flower so "why not try it?" This was done in hempys. The intent was purple color, NOT a resin increase.

It seems to work for purpling things up, but I've never seen any extra resin that registered as extra.

No intersexed or other problems... I doubt it even affected yield much as it was literally in the last several days.

For many growers this is probably useful as it's amazing how purple sells. :bandit:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I've done it, mostly because I had ice from RO water melted in a cooler and It was the end of flower so "why not try it?" This was done in hempys. The intent was purple color, NOT a resin increase.

It seems to work for purpling things up, but I've never seen any extra resin that registered as extra.

No intersexed or other problems... I doubt it even affected yield much as it was literally in the last several days.

For many growers this is probably useful as it's amazing how purple sells. :bandit:

Gotcha, seems that is most people see. Any more people seen or heard of cold water on roots to increase resin?
-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
In my first post on this thread I added all the answers so far.
If you know more answers to my questions let me know so I can add the info about your tests.
If I made any errors please let me know.
I think we will get our answers pretty fast like this.

Thanks everyone, this is fun, a collective science project!

-SamS

Last edited:

_HK_

You go where? Afghanistan? Where in Afghanistan?
-SamS

Takhar province. Family from near there. But since russian war, a lot of family have moved around the ghan and settled in other locations, including out the country to tajik and uzbek.

hey Sam, i was reading a book earlier on, called 'the heart of dankness'. They mention a sam the skunkman in that, with regards to history of cannabis in europe. is that you? if so, hats off to you for all your adventures and contribution to the canna world. :tiphat:

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Cold air seems a bit more plausible than ice cold water in the root zone.Ice cold water in the root zone sounds some what scary to me.
Most plants prefer a cold head and warm feet... that means, plants profit from a bit colder air but warmer soil and because of that also react much stronger to cold soil than to cold air.
One reason is that the soil has a more equilibrated temperature than air which changes strongly between midnight and noon. Furthermore, the higher the temperature (within a certain margin) the better/faster metabolism; because roots have no proper energy source (chlorophyll), this is important to them. Leaves on the other hand dry out more easily or at least close the stigma and reduce photosynthesis when it's hot.

Hope, that I expressed myself understandable, cause uuu... :D

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
I just cannot think there would be time for any difference to show...a couple days out of 70 or more? things move more quickly for me than to note size of trichs over 1/35th of the grow...

is this just me?

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
Most plants prefer a cold head and warm feet... that means, plants profit from a bit colder air but warmer soil and because of that also react much stronger to cold soil than to cold air.
One reason is that the soil has a more equilibrated temperature than air which changes strongly between midnight and noon. Furthermore, the higher the temperature (within a certain margin) the better/faster metabolism; because roots have no proper energy source (chlorophyll), this is important to them. Leaves on the other hand dry out more easily or at least close the stigma and reduce photosynthesis when it's hot.

Hope, that I expressed myself understandable, cause uuu... :D

^not true. photosynthesis increases as temps rise. the stomata close wen the plant isn't getting enough water when its hot. they close up so they lose less water.

I don't see any logical reason why cold water might make it more resinous.. it will shock the plant perhaps which may cause the plant to up its natural defences like resin production but I cant see it making much difference imo.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
in nature the airs cools before the ground

annual plant life cycles are completed before the ground freezes, cold rains non withstanding.

What is common however are stark cold night time temperature differentials.

These differentials are present and occur during declining light periods (fall)

organisms don't have secret environmental triggers for conditions they have not evolved to meet or have encountered in the past.

you can discover triggers their dna has programed them to respond to which is relative to the environments they evolved in.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
shire with more than a 20 degree night time temp differential

picture.php

picture.php

shire without

picture.php

picture.php

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
the forum casey cut that grows gorilla nugs with a temp drop of greater 20 degrees

picture.php

picture.php

here is the same plant a couple weeks earlier without a nighttime differential

picture.php

while i dont have a comparison of the two upped to my gallery i have the same plant at the same exact age documented in both environments and the resin is greater in the one with a night time temp drop

I am with weird on this one. I wasnt always able to drop the room temps low enough so I tried the cold water technique a few times. I never really noticed a difference at all. That goes back to what weird was saying about where they come from. I dont really know of an enviroment that has warm air and freezing ground temps. Now that I am able to control the air temp to whatever degree I want I have noticed what wierd was explaining above. The lower air temps at night and even during the day has really brought on the resin and the colors. I think the combination of water and air temps being dropped may provide better results. I have noticed that my sativas didnt like the temp drops at all. It cause some late male flowers to show, im guessing since the place of origin doesnt see these conditions the plant freaks out and goes into survival mode.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I pretty much agree with you about cold air temps seem to effect some varieties and help, but this thread is really about ice cold water on the roots.
I also have an Original Haze clone I have had for 20+ years, never saw a intersex expression, never, until one year I turned off the heat in a section of my greenhouse with just a couple of plants, it got below freezing air temps for a few nights and bamb, intersex flowers on the girl, never saw it again on the same clone. I let the plant live a while it kept growing slowly and flowering in the cold until I killed it.
-SamS

I am with weird on this one. I wasnt always able to drop the room temps low enough so I tried the cold water technique a few times. I never really noticed a difference at all. That goes back to what weird was saying about where they come from. I dont really know of an enviroment that has warm air and freezing ground temps. Now that I am able to control the air temp to whatever degree I want I have noticed what wierd was explaining above. The lower air temps at night and even during the day has really brought on the resin and the colors. I think the combination of water and air temps being dropped may provide better results. I have noticed that my sativas didnt like the temp drops at all. It cause some late male flowers to show, im guessing since the place of origin doesnt see these conditions the plant freaks out and goes into survival mode.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I hope everyone cools their rhizosphere for a day or two pre harvest looking fora the "silver" bullet to increase resin production

Let me ask you, what environmental cue is the plant reacting to when you do this?

and let me ask you this, how much resin is a plant going to put out in a day or two due to any environmental manipulation?

Now try matching the environmental trigger more exactly and for the period of time the plants genetics are "programmed" to respond to and see how it effects resin production.

here is a picture of chem d after she experienced the same differential

growing

picture.php

dry

picture.php

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
^not true. photosynthesis increases as temps rise. the stomata close wen the plant isn't getting enough water when its hot. they close up so they lose less water.

I don't see any logical reason why cold water might make it more resinous.. it will shock the plant perhaps which may cause the plant to up its natural defences like resin production but I cant see it making much difference imo.
Err... yes, nearly every chemical reaction goes faster at higher temperature but as I said, leaves run short on water well before the roots do and that's the point :D .
Closed stomata means less water flows from the roots upwards and that means in the end less effective photosynthesis. There are more reasons (forgot some) why else roots like it warm and aerial parts cold.
That's just an explanation why cold water for the roots and not cold air is used...

And I have no idea if and how that should increase trichome production within a few days... maybe an increase in secondary metabolite synthesis within the already formed trichomes? But honestly, how long does it take to actually grow a new trichome with head and stalk and all? I don't know, have never paid any attention to that...

Latest posts

Latest posts