What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Paper Towel method

Gangabiss

free your SELF
Veteran
Woke up to 5 more seedling emerging. I'm thinking nearly all will be above ground by tomorrow at this rate.

The Super Stars however are still being particularly stubborn...all 3 in paper towels have yet to crack. I decided to rough them up a bit so I sandwiched them between 2 layers of fine sandpaper and lightly scuffed them....1 didn't survive lol RIP
I replaced the remaining 2 in their paper towel home.

Both the Super Stars in root riots have yet to show themselves too. They were the smallest seeds out of all the strains so maybe that's why?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Easy scarification tube...

Take a 4" x 5" sheet of sand paper, about 60-100 grit is fine. Roll it, grit side in, into a tube and tape it securely. Done.

Use it by putting your thumb over one opening, dropping some seeds inside, putting a finger over the other end and shaking it for a half minute. Very simple and effective. I used to do this, and presoak and paper towel method. Now I simply put it in soil or vermiculite and sprout it. I get almost the same sprouting rate, spend way less time monitoring and end up throwing away fewer runts. ;)

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Should I wait for the ones that have cracked to grow a longer taproot before planting into my jiffy pellets? Or should I put them in as soon as they have cracked open?

I think its easier to handle when you put them into soil when they're half an inch, like Mrbungle said, so they don't get rinsed away when you water them.