What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Chemistry behind Coco Coir: a (strange) journey from ferts bottle to to buds

KillGeorgie

Thank you, Mr. Cook. I have been looking all over the internet and every time I read something or watched a video I heard something else that sounded dumb. I realized that I could watch 10 videos and get 10 different "opinions". The exact problem is that people like to ignore facts and give you thier unwanted opinion. What I like to know are the facts so that I can figure out what works for me, all while armed with the information that I need in order to know what questions to ask. With what you have provided here I now know what questions to ask and in this particular instance I can pretty much answer all of those questions as well. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your knowledge with us. You can't know how much you have helped me.

Zblade

Cook,
I just wanted to make sure I'm getting the main points.
Your saying by adding enough tap water to RO to bring ec up to 0.3-0.4,it'll create a more stable ph as it passes through coco?
Last question,in the beginning you mentioned 7.0 being optimum ph so nutes become readily available,are you saying instead of using a ph of 5.8 use 7.0 in coco?

Zblade

Cook,
I just wanted to make sure I'm getting the main points.
Your saying by adding enough tap water to RO to bring ec up to 0.3-0.4,it'll create a more stable ph as it passes through coco?
Last question,in the beginning you mentioned 7.0 being optimum ph so nutes become readily available,are you saying instead of using a ph of 5.8 use 7.0 in coco?

The Cook,
Could you summarize,the benefits of adding tap water or hard water to RO?
What about potassium?

dr-dank

The Cook,
Could you summarize,the benefits of adding tap water or hard water to RO?
What about potassium?

I believe the idea is that the trace elements in tap add a buffer:

http://chemcollective.org/activities/tutorials/buffers/buffers2

That said, I don't see the need with hydro. I use RO water, add the 6/9, ph to 5.8, and call it a day. For flushing (if I feel the need) I do the same but at 1/2 strength.

I feel the salts I add to my RO in the form of nutes are providing whatever buffer is needed.

Regards

The.Cook

I believe the idea is that the trace elements in tap add a buffer:

http://chemcollective.org/activities/tutorials/buffers/buffers2

That said, I don't see the need with hydro. I use RO water, add the 6/9, ph to 5.8, and call it a day. For flushing (if I feel the need) I do the same but at 1/2 strength.

I feel the salts I add to my RO in the form of nutes are providing whatever buffer is needed.

Regards

The main reason is cause, at least here, tap water has quite high content in Ca and Mg. In coco that's quite usefull (im fatct you can find people actually using Ca/Mg supplememts)

Hydro ferts are designed with hydro in mind. In dwc I wouldn't do that, straight ro water would be just fine if not better.

Finally yes, it also raise buffering ability but that's not necesseraly a plus. Anyway in a short cycle it think you would hardly catch any difference

Zblade

I understand.
Maybe someone can figure this defiency out,if it is one??
In coco I keep getting with every strain,temps from 70-82,is reddish purple streaks in upper stalk and leaf stems by mid bloom.With soil not a problem,but with coco or coco/perlite it always happens.
In veg they are fine but by mid bloom it starts and gets progressively worse.I think it's a N defiency but they get 6/9 and every strain it happens,except with soil.
I've used Sensi for coco series,big bud coco,GH flora,GH maxi,and a few others with same results.

Any ideas what may be causing reddish purple streaks up stalk,then under leaf stems then on top,and then veins?

I understand.
Maybe someone can figure this defiency out,if it is one??
In coco I keep getting with every strain,temps from 70-82,is reddish purple streaks in upper stalk and leaf stems by mid bloom.With soil not a problem,but with coco or coco/perlite it always happens.
In veg they are fine but by mid bloom it starts and gets progressively worse.I think it's a N defiency but they get 6/9 and every strain it happens,except with soil.
I've used Sensi for coco series,big bud coco,GH flora,GH maxi,and a few others with same results.

Any ideas what may be causing reddish purple streaks up stalk,then under leaf stems then on top,and then veins?

Google Anthocyanin, I'm still researching and experimenting on the subject on a few strains, so no conclusions yet.

BakedGriffin

awesome article cook. I just transplanted some 5 week old girls from 2L to 5 gals... been showing me some problems so decided to test runoff. fed at 5.85ph and 1.2ec came out 6.10ph 2.6EC! wtf does that mean.. flush time with 1/4nutes?? seems like I've been over feeding for a while cuz all feed before at about 1.5ec 5.8ph

bigdad41296

awesome article cook. I just transplanted some 5 week old girls from 2L to 5 gals... been showing me some problems so decided to test runoff. fed at 5.85ph and 1.2ec came out 6.10ph 2.6EC! wtf does that mean.. flush time with 1/4nutes?? seems like I've been over feeding for a while cuz all feed before at about 1.5ec 5.8ph

Yes, I would scale back to about .8 ec and flush with that untill your ec coming out is around the .8 ec hope that helps

Levitationofme

I have started my second run. Several clones and some seedlings.

After going thru the first grow, I see a few things I need to change to get a better result.

The Main Colas were good, but could have been tighter. I could have trimmed and Trained much better. I was also heavy handed with the nutrients and I was lucky the plants I grew were tolerant to that. I also over crowded my space.

I am using a much less aggressive feeding schedule, and adding a Worm Casting Tea to the mix every week. Everything is growing . I plan on going with 2-3 of the best clones. Hope for a couple of females out of the seedlings. Ultimately 3-4 plants finishing flowering. Cull the rest. I am hoping they finish a few weeks apart so the last plants can finish solo under the light.

The Roots....
I moved to Smart Pots. I like um.
The roots on my first run didn't look rootbound. The main root not large but the entire pot was full of small ones. It was easy to see how they could absorb so much water. I'm not sure if the top of the root should have been more developed.

Anyway I think i'm on my way....

The.Cook

I'd say your having some salt built up in there. Think you you should increase irrigation volume and provide eanough run off every watering in order to wash it away

Within some irrigation you should be fine.

:tiphat:

Lyfespan

a question to @the.cook

coco hempy buckets, would using langbeignite help cal issues in flower?

im using RO water and K4L nute line up

Lyfespan

langbeignite is K2Mg2(SO4)3 so it will (slooowly) provide Potassium and Magnesium.

would it be better than calmag? im using ro water here. while understanding some of the organic chem math, im still learning about the coco cec issue, and now dealing with it.

i have had some hempy buckets just go awesome and others completely stall out

The.Cook

Man if some were good and some others not than you should think what you did different

I really cant tell what would be good for you mate sorry

au_

Great info Cook! I would like your posts but can't yet. Now how do I restore my brain from mush? :biggrin: