What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TF is going on here!?

Bloom SA

A friend recently set up an indoor led hydro grow
Medium is mixed texture peat moss with perlite...
He has been using the GHE terra aquatics range as per the feeding chart...
Everything was going fine until he used calmag at an EC of 1. Everything started to burn. The thing is he has a few plants in soil that never received calmag and also exhibit the same symptoms. The soil hasnt been overly wet and a look at the roots shows that they are healthy. PH pen was calibrated before every feed.
He uses borehole water not RO water.
The only common denominator between all the plants is the hydro nutes...
The plants appear burnt but ec runoff is only between 0.2-0.3 depending on the plant being tested. Max ph of runoff was 6.2. Feeds are consistently being done at 5.8
So, root rot is ruled out
High EC is ruled out
PH is ruled out
Measurement instrument accuracy is ruled out

Attachments

• IMG-20201104-WA0019.jpg
    IMG-20201104-WA0019.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG-20201104-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20201104-WA0012.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG-20201110-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20201110-WA0009.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 43

Bloom SA

Please ignore the middle photo. It's not applicable to the grow. Cannot remove photos from my post for some dumb ass reason

Bloom SA

More photos

More photos

Very strange

Attachments

• IMG-20201029-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20201029-WA0018.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG-20201025-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20201025-WA0002.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 41

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
What kind of peat with perlite are you using? Did you mix your own or use a commercial mix? What is borehole water?

GoatCheese

Veteran
Could it be caused by salt build up?? Cause these are mineral based nutrients.
It’s been a decade since I’ve used mineral nutes in soil and I’m not a hydro grower, but iirc, you have to flush the medium atleast once a week with pH adjusted water to get rid of the salt build up or you will run into trouble.

Bloom SA

Could it be caused by salt build up?? Cause these are mineral based nutrients.
It’s been a decade since I’ve used mineral nutes in soil and I’m not a hydro grower, but iirc, you have to flush the medium atleast once a week with pH adjusted water to get rid of the salt build up or you will run into trouble.
I hear you man. Like I said. Runoff ec was really low.

Bloom SA

What kind of peat with perlite are you using? Did you mix your own or use a commercial mix? What is borehole water?
A borehole is like a very deep, very skinny well...
Ground water
The peat is is peat moss, not coco. It's a commercial blend by klaasman called ts7

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
You added too much Cal mag at 1.0 EC which adds up to over 500 (Hanna) ppm or 700 ppm (Truncheon) to start with. You only need about 80 or 130 ppm or 0.2 EC of cal-mag to start and set the pH. Adding too much Cal-mag in the beginning will block the receptor sites for other nutrients and show up as a nutrient deficiency. Also using ground water will have a very high ppm and also block nutrient uptake.

Bloom SA

Cool man thanks. I've done hydro a few times without calmag. I reckon bad advice on my part . The ground water ec itself is quite low but it is consistent each time measured.

The next question is are these now fucked or can they recover fairly quickly?