What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

grow tent advice please

gizmo666

hi folks its been a long time since i've posted here
i normally grow using a cupboard and cfl and hps lights but im thinking about getting a grow tent comes with an led light which i'm not sure of and looking for simple striaght forward advice
the set i'm looking at is
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Complete...ght-Hydroponics/164383145536?var=464003945100

what i'm hoping to find out is:is this a decent light?
i'm clueless regarding led's
or should i buy a tent setup with hps
thanks in advance

gizmo666

at that budget just for the light i think i'll stick with the hps method lol
at least i know what i'm doing with that
i'm just a complete novice with led
what does one look for in an led light?

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
at that budget just for the light i think i'll stick with the hps method lol
at least i know what i'm doing with that
i'm just a complete novice with led
what does one look for in an led light?
I'm not sure what there real name is but I call them par chart? Just the graphic showing the par readings at set distances. Great to compare led lamps between vendor. Something like this

marshydro-mars-II-400W-footprint-diagram-e1574006590326.jpg

Mattbho

That 1000w led that comes with that kit is more like a 250w hps... they have no business saying 1000w in that add . The lite wont use 1000w . It wont come near a 600w hps , is just a flat out lie to try and trick people into thinking they are getting a light that can flower cannabis.

THe tent will rip the 1st time u goto unzip it with 1 hand . Imo most kits are the cheapest crap tossed together and you end up buying everything twice.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran

This is a good choice. As a matter of personal preference I get the same light that doesn't have the 2 ir and 2 uv leds. I notice the description says LM301B but the title says LM301H. I would check it's the H version. They are a little higher output but more importantly they last longer. They are of the first generation that offers some resistance to aging.

The light that comes free with the tent (it should be free anyway) states it's 1000w and is made with 100 5w leds with a total output of 6300 lumens. It also lists the 6 types of led used.
From where I'm sitting, I can see 60 burple leds. Maybe 3w a piece. 180w at about 35 lumens per watt as the old burple sucks for efficiency. That would be about 6300 lumens. Which might veg a 2x2 but not flower it.

With a 2x2 footprint you could use 12 household lamps. The 100w equivalents that consume about 14w. That's £36 of asda's finest using about as much electric but making 3 times more light. The £36 worth of lamps need screwing into something but that won't push you past £50

Look in grow diaries/microgrows/cfl comparisons thread. It's pages of people using them in various fittings. Lots of pics to set your expectations.

A 2x2 isn't really a sodium grow. The 12 household lamps will compete with a 250 and a 400 will just cook it and place too much demand on the plants. Though I have done it...

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Oh.. on FB there are workshop lights listed near Lincoln. 250w low bays with the glass in for £15 each. Such a unit could easily be chopped about a bit for air cooling. They are MH but likely a combination ballast. I wouldn't hesitate if I were in Lincoln and wanted to light a 2x2 cheaply. That 90cm in tent height might still be an issue though, with anything other than leds. It is the 60x60x90 you are looking at right?

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
On ebay-UK, which is where the O.P. was looking, spider farmer is expensive.

It's why I posted the light I did.

It's got a meanwell driver and samsung diodes.

Looks very much like my sf 2000 actually.

gizmo666

thanks folks for all the advice
i've decided to stay with what i know best
so i'm going for an 80x80x180 tent (f-e yea the hieght could be an issue)
going with a 600w hps rather than led i just dont know enough about them yet
thanks everyone with the help

so the new gear is bought
greenlab pro tent 80x80x180 good enough for 4 plants
rhino 5" carbon filter kit
600w hps
and white widow and blue widow seeds
looking forward to getting back in the game
thanks again folks

Last edited:

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Would like to tack on here, to avoid a new thread.

Any advice on fixing pinholes and light leaks in seams of grow tent?

Just bought new one, and disappointed in initial quality. Any special brand of reflective tape, that will not fall off from humidity, or brand of black paint to spray on outside. I bought some of that flex seal spray crap for gutters. Wonder if that would stick to tent material. Might try some gorilla tape on exterior seams.

hellfire

Just bought new one, and disappointed in initial quality. Any special brand of reflective tape, that will not fall off from humidity, or brand of black paint to spray on outside. I bought some of that flex seal spray crap for gutters. Wonder if that would stick to tent material. Might try some gorilla tape on exterior seams.

I superglue the pinholes then paint or marker over (heavy sharpie black) the glue once it is dry. Might take 2 layers on the bigger holes.

ridoo

I use All Star Gum for repair my grow tent, this is kind of glue made for skate shoes :)

u can find it in different colors, its perfect for repair the tent, and close holes

good grow
:)

delerious

Maybe some aluminum duct tape.

ridoo

aluminium duct tape wont stay long, the material of grow tents is kind of plastic, not a lot of duct tape can stay on because it's moving, it's changing temperature, and it makes lots of air pocket, tiny air pockets under the tape... plus the tape may release some chemicals because of the light heat...

better use some glue like the one i write about above, shoes glue, or silicone, silicone is good option to, take the one for plumbing work, it's cheap and armless to plants

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Thanks for replies!! Like the idea of fixing from outside, so no worry about product sticking to reflective surface. Glue sounds best to prevent it from expanding, especially if it ever has to be moved. Think it was poorly designed, and may have been discontinued. Brand is Finnhomy. I have no income so cheap bastard and best price except for another shit tent I bought, that did not have back panel openings, making it useless.

ridoo

if you wanna go cheap then chewing gum and reused potatoes chips package, well chewed gum on the hole should stick and stay, and a piece of those package on the chewing-gum, those chips package are made of aluminium and plastic mixed, they are very effective to close light and heat, i use the Lays ones here, good chips, good recycled packages, just need to clean them to remove all salt and grease

u can use them as heat shield also, sticking them the bright side out, it's pretty efficient